General Discussion Race Reports! » National Emergency Services Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

National Emergency Services Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Nottingham, Nottinghamshire
United Kingdom
One Step Beyond
26C / 79F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 23m 10s
Overall Rank = 168/259
Age Group = Female
Age Group Rank = 18/42
Pre-race routine:

This was my first triathlon where I was participating on behalf of Force 10 triathlon team, which is to do with work. 6 of us travelled down the evening before in a minibus provided by the sports and social club. Took about half an hour to get all the bikes onto the bus and then 4 hours to drive down.

Stayed in a hostel overnight, which meant I got about 5 hours of sleep. Woke up feeling ill again, but a couple of paracetamol and decongestant helped with that.

We got ourselves to the water sports centre nice and early and then had a cooked breakfast. Not my usual porridge, but I couldn't risk the milk. We then took the bikes for a quick spin around the bike course. It was useful because it showed us where the potholes were, and also gave an idea of what the wind was going to be like.
Event warmup:

The race didn't start till 12, so we took our time getting registered and then setting up transition. I was in the final wave, so stood around in the heat in my wetsuit for rather longer than ideal. It meant that when I got in the water I really appreciated it. We had a few minutes in the water before we started, so I spent some time treading water and getting my arms moving in my wetsuit.
Swim
  • 15m 5s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started off right in the middle, which was fine. I had a couple of team swimmers cut me off because they were incapable of sighting and were swimming in the wrong direction. I tried to swim hard at the start to get in with the faster swimmers, but it turns out I'm still not actually there yet with my swimming, and then found that I was having some trouble with my breathing and had to back off and just relax a bit to sort that out. After that I just took it at my own pace and felt fairly relaxed. With hindsight I should have just started at my own pace...
What would you do differently?:

Swim at my pace from the start. I think I probably did a worse time because I had to back off so much after my excessive start. I need to have faith in my own pacing and not try to keep up with anyone else. I also just need more open water swimming practice.
Transition 1
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

I've only done one OWS this year and it showed when I got to taking my wetsuit off. It didn't go horribly wrong, but it wasn't as smooth as it could have been. Everything else went well. I ran all the way through transition and ran out with my bike.

More transition practice with the wetsuit. But that comes with more OWS practice.
Bike
  • 38m 42s
  • 12.02 miles
  • 18.64 mile/hr
Comments:

The hardest part of this course was the wind. It was heavy going into the headwind, so I just tried to push as hard as I could on that side and then maintain as much speed as possible while spinning my legs for some recovery in the tailwind. This is seemed to work fairly well. There was a guy (no 140) who kept passing me into the wind, but then I passed him on the tailwind sections. We did that every lap, so I saw quite a lot of him.

It was also quite challenging to avoid drafting at times as it's only a 5km loop and there were over 250 people on the course. It was a bit frustrating watching other people blatantly drafting, but the marshalls were shouting at them.

The other challenge was the heat. I had a bottle of sports drink on the bike and was trying to make sure I had a good drink on every lap. I didn't have any water, and got a little sick of how much sweet I was taking in over a fairly short space of time.

I lost concentration on the last straight and wasn't pushing as hard as I had on the previous laps. I realised about half a mile from the end and tried to pick up the pace, but probably lost a minute or so on my time for that. Next time - keep concentrating!
Transition 2
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

It was the first time I've ever done a race with a split transition, and I was running through T2 which was full of bikes looking for a pair of black trainers which did a very good job of hiding... I found them without running past, but it slowed me down.

Do a better job of figuring out my position in T2.
Run
  • 26m 31s
  • 3.05 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

The heat was really obvious on the run, but they had a water station on the exit from T2 so I grabbed a cup of water, drank half of it and dumped the other half over my head. Once I'd doubled back on myself and got to the section heading up the lake the wind was blowing really hard right in my face. I kept telling myself not to fight the wind, just let it blow past me and keep a fairly easy pace until the turn around when it would get easier. I felt like I was running an easy hard pace (that makes sense in my head...), so I was really surprised when my Garmin told me that I did the first mile in 9min, as that's faster than I thought. After that I slowed a little, partly because I got stomach cramps, and the 2nd mile was 9:21, but then I passed another water station where I again drank half the cup and dumped the rest over my head. Felt better after that and with the wind behind me I just ran as hard as I could from there, managing to pass one of my team mates on the way in. I ran other the line and the next person in was no 140, who was the guy I saw on the bike a lot. He was from the wave 4min ahead of mine, so I was quite pleased about that.

I was really pleased with my actual running. I think the stomach cramps were from drinking too much sports drink on the bike, so if I do another event which is this hot I'm going to take water on the bike as well so that I can stay hydrated without the other effects.
Post race
Warm down:

I went and joined my teammates to cheer in the last guy (who I passed on the run) and then we cleared transition and took our time loading the bikes back onto the bus. Drank loads of water and sports drink as I was quite thirsty and even sitting around was very hot. We all got showered and put on our finishers Tshirts for a team photo and then headed off in the bus.

The thing I was most pleased about, bearing in mind that this is a C race for me and I didn't want it to impact too much on my training, is that despite pushing as hard as I could during the race, once I was finished I was still capable of running up the stairs the stand where my team was waiting, and I was tired (sleepy), but really not wrecked from it. I guess that means that my endurance training is having an impact.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need more open water swim practice. Otherwise at the moment this is probably the best performance I could expect.

Event comments:

There was a bbq after the race, for which we all got vouchers, but they hadn't mentioned when they would be packing up. As a result, by the time our whole group had got showered and packed everything on the bus we had missed the food. They let us get burgers at the cafe using the vouchers, but a cold burger wasn't quite the same...

Last updated: 2012-05-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:05 | 750 meters | 02m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/42
Overall: 0/259
Performance: Average
Suit: Aquasphere wetsuit
Course: Single loop. Out to the orange buoy, left turn and across about 50m to the next orange buoy. Another left turn and then back to the boat ramps. The wind was in our faces on the way out and then behind on the way back in. Didn't really notice the effect on the way out, but on the way back in there were some waves which I felt gave a nice boost.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 19C / 66F Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:33
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:38:42 | 12.02 miles | 18.64 mile/hr
Wind: Strong
Course: 4 laps of the path around the rowing lake (almost completely flat). It was basically out and back with a bend at each end. The first half of each lap was directly into a strong headwind, and then the second half was a massive tailwind. The end sections were sheltered, so no crosswinds to worry about, but the bend around the transition end was pretty tight.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 83
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:19
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:31 | 03.05 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Course: Single lap around the boating lake, with a couple of little extra bulges to extend the distance. The sections on the lake were flat, but the bulges had short upward sections, which were hard work. As with the bike route, the first half of the lap was into a strong headwind, with a tailwind for the final section.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-05-26 9:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Subject: National Emergency Services Triathlon

2012-05-27 11:42 PM
in reply to: #4230298

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Subject: RE: National Emergency Services Triathlon
Congratulations Rachel! Very well executed race, which is usually what we can all hope for. The fact thar you had still energy afterwards indicates your good base. All the best in your IM training! If you get that right the actual race is quite enjoyable.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » National Emergency Services Triathlon Rss Feed