Indonesia
MetaSport
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 35m 39s
Overall Rank = 74/583
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 21/110
Pre-race routine:

Arrived in Bintan a few days early to get acclimated and familiarize myself with the course. Bike recce on Thursday, swim TT on Friday. No new food in Bintan, and no alcohol or junk food since the start of my taper. It was an afternoon race, so I spent the morning putting my transition bag together, reviewing my race plan, and staying cool. Medium-light breakfast with carbs and protein and an early lunch of beef fajitas (which I had the day before and were perfect).
Event warmup:

I had meant to get to transition ealy to do a short swim-bike-run warm up, but I got a bit delayed. So i just set everything up and lined up for body marking. Just as I reached the front of the line, the skies opened up and it started pouring with scary lightening. The RD told everyone to take cover and that the start would be delayed. All of a sudden, the race went from a struggle to stay hydrated and avoid the 30+ degree heat to a soggy mess where I was shivering and afraid of hypothermia. I stayed under one of the tents until I couldn't stand the cold and wet anymore, then found a boathouse where I could stay dry and sit down. When I looked at the ocean, I was reminded of photos I saw of this year's IMSG. Transition was literally under water, and we all had doubts as to whether the race could take place. Luckily, about one soggy and very cold hour later, the rain started to let up and the RD announced a 2:30pm start, about 45 minutes late. I quickly put my transition bag back in transition, let some air out of my tires, jumped in the water to warm up and then found my spot for the mass swim start.
Swim
  • 32m 32s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 10s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was thrilled with my swim performance. A lot of it was dumb luck, but a bit of it was good prep work. Doing the swim TT the day before got a lot of the OWS kinks out. The key, however, was the fact that in addition to the buoys there were two sets of floating lines like the ones that separate lanes at a pool. I positioned myself well at the start and just hugged the lines as best I could, which meant I didn't really have to sight at all. I also drafted as much as possible. For the last 150 meters or so before the turn around, I drafted off of someone swimming at exactly my pace, and that helped a lot. At the turn around I saw that I was on pace to beat my goal time of 33 minutes, so on the way back I added a few pick-ups to make sure I kept my pace up. I had to say goodbye to the guy I had been drafting off of, because I didn't like the turn he took around the pillar on the beach - I wanted to position myself closer to the inside floating line. That's where my bilateral breathing practice came in handy - I could follow the outside line on my left on the way out and the inside line to my right on the way back. Awesome! I was on my own for a bit, but eventually found one or two new people to draft off of and just held pace as best I could. The water was surprisingly calm, given how choppy it had been just a few minutes before the start.
What would you do differently?:

After the first turn bouy, I couldn't find the floating line, so I tried sighting off the buoys and off the pack. I probably lost a bit of time doing this and taking a longer route than I needed to. I should have trusted that the line was there somewhere (since the RD said it would be) - or have looked over the course a bit better from the beach - and gone to find that line. Otherwise, I think I did about as well as my slow swimming abilities allow. Oh, I guess I could have taken some swim lessons during my training, but that's another story.
Transition 1
  • 49m
Comments:

I had set things up pretty well - and I was fortunate that my spot was on high ground. I had to run through a small lake from the downpour to get to my bike. I hadn't practiced jumping on the bike, and there was a steep hill immediately out of T1 anyway, but I did have my shoes clicked in and attached with rubber bands, I pedaled up the hill with my feet on top of my shoes, and I got into my shoes after the top of the hill.

Have practiced a flying mount during training, maybe?
Bike
  • 1h 11m 38s
  • 40 kms
  • 33.50 km/hr
Comments:

A very hilly first 10k made it somewhat difficult to gauge my pace. Since I was FOP out of the swim, it meant the bike was more competitive than I was used to. Lots of leap frogging, and many more people passed me than during my fisrt race last November. It also seemed to be a crowded field, and I was surprised by how much drafting I saw. I kept wanting people I passed to drop back, but they didn't. I tried to turn the first 10k into a recovery ride of sorts, going at only a moderate pace, but the hills made that difficult, especially since I live and train in a flat city. After 20k, I saw that I was more or less on pace to hit my goal of 1:15, and I unleashed a little bit. Either the wind was at my back or it was mostly downhill on the return. Either way, I gained some good time during the second half of the bike, but I tried not to overcook for the run. Pavement was wet from the rain, so I took the turns and the cobblestone very easy. I grabbed a new water bottle from the aid station at the 20k mark, but I fumbled it and lost it. Fortunately, I had started out with two bottles, so I just move my isotonic bottle to the front cage and dealt with it. The rain had really cooled things down, so it wasn't a problem. I wish I had taken the turns a bit better, but the wet pavement and crowded field slowed me down.

Trust my cornering skills more. Hold on to the new water bottle. Have a better understaning of proper gearing for hills.
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

This was a disaster. I had practiced the flying dismount, and I was ready for it. I was nervous only because there was an intersection between the bike dismount and part of the run course, but the RD made it clear bikes had the right of way. I was so focused on this, I hadn't even given thought to wahat to about other cyclists stopped at the dismount line. I came down the final hill, slowed down to where I was comfortable, jumped off the bike...and crashed into some poor guy and his bike at the dismount line. I felt terrible about it. And I felt like an idiot. Now I've got a nasty cut on my elbow from the fall that will take quite some time to heal. I'm lucky I don't need stiches. One of the race organizers checked to make sure I was okay, which I assured her I was, then I picked up the shoe that had fallen off the pedal and ran with it and my bike into T2. I racked my bike, took off my helmet and sunglasses, grabbed my Garmin, put on my running shoes and hat, and left. Unfortunately, I forgot to offload the two granola bars and gels I had for some reason stuck in my back pocket for the bike. Sigh. Really the only positive thing was that my family was there cheering me on out of T2.

Everything. I would take it all back if I could. This was the only leg where I didn't meet my time goal, and that was the least of my concerns.
Run
  • 49m 14s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 55s  min/km
Comments:

I felt pretty good for the first 2 miles and then pushed it a bit harder on the next two miles. Somehow I missed the beep of my Garmin telling me that I had hit 4 miles and should really unleash, but I'm not sure I had enough enery left to unleash anyway. I guess that means I overdid it somewhere along the way. Also slowing me down (or providing me an excuse) was the fact that my water-logged right shoe started causing pain to my right arch. I could feel it dig/rub with every step, and I've now got a nice long and bright red reminder of my race along the entire curve of my arch. Ouch. Still, I ran the whole thing, even those annoying hills. I probably took too much comfort along the way that I was going to hit my time goals, including for the run, and let myself slack off a bit. That bag of bars and gels in my back pocket really started to annoy me, but for some reson I didn't want to throw it away. I figured I would toss it to my family when I saw them after the first lap, but I didn't see them, so I eventually tossed it to my friend's family (after 6k or so). I also had my soaking wet knee brace in my pocket just in case my knee gave out during the race. Thankfully I didn't need it during the run (but my knee atarted hurting immediately afterward). My family was there waiting for me at the finish chute, and my son ran with me the final 50 meters or so, which was nice. I made an effort to smile for the cameras this time!

Bring a plastic bag to transition to keep my shoes and other gear dry in case of rain. Push myself harder throughout and especially at the end. Not carry unnecessay extra food weight. Not look at my pace so much?
Post race
Warm down:

Fruit, water, wait for my buddies to finish, chat with my family, get first aid for my elbow, massage, after party.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The rain/wet road conditions, no swimming lessons, not pushing myself harder on the run.

Event comments:

When the torrential rain came, I decided to toss my goal times out the window, especially for the bike. Just goes to show that you never know what will happen. The course was nice, but there were very few spectators on the bike course. The organizers were terrific, and the participants seemed relaxed and happy to have a good time. Definitely a Singapore-based race, with very few folks (only my group of friends?) traveling any real distance to do the race. Even the organizers were surprised we traveled all the way from Beijing. The kids race the next day was well organized and a lot of fun for both children and parents, which made it a real family weekend. Being stuck on an island without a bike shop and then being gouged by the Singapore-based bike mechanic that came for the race was a bit disappointing. Overall, a nice excuse to visit Singapore and have a fun weekend in the sun with other families with children of all ages. I was very gratified to see all of my consistent training and attention to nutrition pay off with such good splits and a great overall time. Keys to getting faster: swimming lessons, biking with power, training on hills, training with negative splits.

Last updated: 2012-01-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:32 | 1500 meters | 02m 10s / 100meters
Age Group: 17/110
Overall: 141/583
Performance: Good
Outbound lap (810m) in just over 17 minutes and inbound lap (690m) in just under 16 minutes.
Suit: 2XU Tri Suit
Course: 375 meters out to the first buoy, left turn and swim 235 meters to the second buoy, left turn and then 200 meters back to shore. Run out of the water and left around a land-based pillar, then back in the water to do the same course in reverse, this time on the inside. Floating lines (like the lane dividers in a swimming pool) between the beach and the buoys and between across the water between buoys.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 49:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:11:38 | 40 kms | 33.50 km/hr
Age Group: 26/110
Overall: 88/583
First 10k: 19:11, 19.4mph, 160bpm. Second 10k: 18:19, 20.3mph, 157 bpm. Third 10k: 16:26, 22.7mph, 157bpm. Final 10k: 18:07, 19.1mph, 157bpm. Avg HR: 157 bpm. Max HR: 174 bpm.
Wind:
Course: An out and back with a bit extra added on either end of the loop. Hilly for the first 10k, false flats and hills for the next 10k, then things got easier, but still hilly at the end. Very scenic and lush course. Some speed bumps on the course, and one very short patch (that you hit going and coming) of a wet cobblestone in a roundabout. My Garmin (and others' as well) said the course was about 700m short of 40k.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 72
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:49:14 | 10 kms | 04m 55s  min/km
Age Group: 17/110
Overall: 97/583
First mile: 8:00, 162 bpm. Second mile: 8:23, 161 bpm. Third mile: 7:38, 163 bpm. Fourth mile: 8:01, 163 bpm. Fifth mile: 8:36, 163 bpm. Sixth mile: 8:03, 163 bpm. Avg: 8:11 m/m, 162 bpm.
Course: Two 5k loops through the host resort, along footpaths (including along the beach), roads, trails, and on grass. A couple of tiring hills along the way. Mostly shaded but also a bit narrow at times. Very soggy with lots of puddles. Possibly slightly short of 10k, or maybe I just hit my lap button a bit late out of T2, I'm not sure.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-05-28 7:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
Subject: Bintan Triathlon - Olympic Course

2012-05-28 7:45 AM
in reply to: #4231708

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Bintan Triathlon - Olympic Course

I'd been waiting for the report!  Great job on the race!  It seems like Bintan always throws up some surprises!  Still trying to visualize transition becoming a flood plain! At least you escaped the worst of the heat--it was 37 degrees C at the start last year. Glad you survived the crash intact. I think your transitions were still faster than mine, even with it--I'm just a transition space cadet.  You're right about the bike course--I found it really lonely.  People passed me once in a while, that was it. Very few spectators. I got the feeling that the locals were fairly conservative and I was kind of unacceptable dressed as I was--some villagers were cheering the guys as they passed, but just stared at me.

Now that you've done the course, if you do the race again, I'd recommend spending the extra days (if you took them) in Singapore rather than Bintan--more choice of bike shops, better and cheaper food/accomodation, etc. The Singapore race scene is huge but very locally-oriented--I often have to deal on a case-by-case basis with RD's who expect me to pick up my packet at some mall on Orchard Road a week or two in advance--it's like they never anticipated someone would fly in from elsewhere. That being said, there's a pretty big Malaysian contingent that comes over, by car or plane, for most local races. They're a very friendly crew and I've met many of them, most were doing Bintan, so I'm sure you weren't the only "laowai"!

Gongxi gongxi! Best wishes for speedy recovery from race, crash, etc.

2012-05-28 9:22 AM
in reply to: #4231708

Subject: RE: Bintan Triathlon - Olympic Course

Wow, what an incredible story. Very impressed you've become quite the athlete.

Reading your account makes me want to take a trip to the gym.

I may just settle for softball catch with my eldest daughter though.

David Lane

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bintan Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed