General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Taper-injury question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-29 8:15 AM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Subject: Taper-injury question
I just wanted to see what BT would do about my little scenario here. This weekend I went for a nice camping trip and during the trip we went and played a round of golf. I am not a very good golfer and my stance/swing is horrible. Anyway, after the game was over I noticed that my calves were cramped up pretty bad and were tight. I started stretching them and since we were camping, we walked everywhere. Last night, they were still tight and it felt a little painful when I would walk so I RICE and used the STICK and wore some compression socks. This week is a Taper week for me and I am doing a sprint tri on saturday. I was supposed to do a light run workout tonight and even though what I did last night helped, the calves are still a little tight and I would say about 85% back to normal. Would you skip the run workout all together and just give the legs another rest day or would you maybe walk the workout? I am going for a swim on wednesday and was thinking about maybe just swapping the run workout until thursday instead? I am just looking to see what BT would do..

2012-05-29 8:42 AM
in reply to: #4232858

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Subject: RE: Taper-injury question
It's a sprint, right? What's your taper supposed to be? 2-3 miles or something? I'd recommend walking or something. Need to work fluids out and everything, it's good for the healing.
2012-05-29 8:44 AM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma

I would skip the workout.  I've gotten little injuries during taper on two different occassions before a marathon and half marathon.  Both times I skipped most of my workouts during taper and both times I hit my goal time.  The hay is in the barn I would just try and get healthy between now and race time.

2012-05-29 9:23 AM

User image

Lafayette, CO
I wouldn't call this an injury.  You over-worked them, sure, but not an injury.  I deal with tight calves on a regular basis and would say go do your easy run.  When mine are particularly tight I'll stop to stretch them after warming up a couple of times.  Espeically if you're back to 85% already.  Next option would be walk in my mind.  If I never ran through tight muscles I'd never run. 
2012-05-29 10:06 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
I agree with COSkigirl.  I think you will be Ok and it might loosen things up a bit.
2012-05-30 8:04 AM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Thanks for the responses. I went out last night and ran 2.5 miles at a light pace and felt fine, calves feel great today.

2012-05-30 8:56 AM

User image

Lafayette, CO
Excellent.  I thought of you last night on my run as I stopped to stretch out my calves, so glad you had a good run.  I tried to get on the foam roller afterwards and about went through the roof.  My massage therapist has her work cut out for her on Sunday. 
2012-05-30 11:34 AM
in reply to: #4235024

User image

Master
Crab Cake City

COSkiGirl - 2012-05-30 9:56 AM Excellent.  I thought of you last night on my run as I stopped to stretch out my calves, so glad you had a good run.  I tried to get on the foam roller afterwards and about went through the roof.  My massage therapist has her work cut out for her on Sunday. 

lol thats funny because while running and my legs were feeling fine I was thinking about your advice and how if you never ran with sore muscles you would never run at all. Thanks again for the advice, it was a definate confident booster to get out there and do it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Taper-injury question Rss Feed