General Discussion Race Reports! » Surf and Turf Series #1 - Long Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Surf and Turf Series #1 - Long Course - Aquathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Littleton, Colorado
United States
Surf & Turf Aquathon USA
Total Time = 56m 58s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Female-long
Age Group Rank = 11/20
Pre-race routine:

Got home from work, grabbed my stuff for the race, shoved a PB&J sandwich down my throat and drove to the reservoir. As usual, the traffic was absolute crap, so I got there about 45 minutes before the start. I still had to go pick up my race number and chip, set up my transition area, and warm up. I felt rushed, but that's typical for these races.
Event warmup:

I ran for about 10 minutes and did a couple of pickups. That's all I had time for. Went back to the transition area and put on my wetsuit, which is a sport unto itself. I got in the water and swam for about 6 minutes before they told everyone to line up for the start. I definitely don't feel like a got a good swim warm up, that's for sure.
Run
  • 00m
  • 0 miles
  •  min/mile
Transition 1
  • 00m
Swim
  • 28m 28s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

As has been my experience as last year's races, I got the crap beat out of me at the start. Elbowed, kicked, body slammed, etc. I wish I would have pushed my way closer to the front to start. It took until I rounded the first buoy to feel comfortable in the water at all and to not have people kicking me. After the first buoy, I finally got some clear water and kind of set into a rhythm. I never felt good on this swim though. I really, really, really hate swimming in my wetsuit because I feel so restricted by it. I feel it totally messes up my stroke and I can't feel the water. I'm seriously considering getting a sleeveless wetsuit so my arms and shoulders are not so impeded and so I can feel the water better. As I was swimming the first lap, I kept on thinking that I couldn't believe I had to do another lap! I was definitely not enjoying myself. I tried to draft off some people, but I just can't seem to get the hang of that.
What would you do differently?:

Start closer to the front, get a different wetsuit.
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

I'm guessing at my transition time, but it seemed like it took forever, so 2 minutes is probably close.

Coming out of the water, I was disoriented and kind of forgot where my towel was. Duh. Normally, when you get out of the water, you start the wetsuit unzip process. Well, I kind of forgot that part, so I didn't start unzipping until I was almost at my towel (granted, the swim exit and my towel were only about 25 feet apart). Duh. As usual, my wetsuit got stuck on my elbows (another argument for a sleeveless). And like the complete idiot I was in this race, I stood there and put on my race belt and hat instead of just grabbing them and running out onto the course. Duh.

Not be an idiot? Get a different wetsuit.
Run
  • 26m 31s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt pretty decent on this run. I always hate running on that gravel trail though. It's like two steps forward, one step back. I used the downhill to my advantage as much as possible before the turnaround. Probably about 3 minutes from the turnaround is when the freak storm hit and the wind picked up to what I figured was probably about 30 mph. Unfortunately, it was only a tailwind for those 3 minutes. After the turnaround, it was a brutal headwind. I was scared it was going to start hailing or something. It was literally blowing me off the trail. I know my run time would have been better if I didn't have to fight that wind the whole way back, but I just put my head down (partially to keep my visor from blowing off!) and gutted it out. But I did think to myself that I was happy it waited until after the swim to hit (considering that it blew a bouy to the beach at the end of the pond).

Not much, I guess.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for a few minutes. By this time, the temperature had dropped about 20 degrees with the storm, so I was freezing. I rinsed out my wetsuit, grabbed my stuff and went to change clothes in the car. Hung out the Mark, Adam, Matt, Ryan, and Julia until I was so cold I couldn't stand it anymore. And of course, Mark managed to win a post race prize drawing. He wins EVERYTHING! And I won nothing, as usual.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I'm one of those people who can swim fast in a pool, but I suck in openwater. I need to try a sleeveless wetsuit and see if that helps. The one race I did WITHOUT my wetsuit last year was the one I WON. I think that says a lot right there.

Event comments:

This race is much more organized than last year. I remarked that we must be moving up in the world since we now had chip timing. That was nice, because last year we had to yell out our race number as we came out of the water and they would write down your swim split. Then it would take a week to post the results.

Last updated: 2006-05-22 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 00 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/20
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time:  00:00
Overall:
Putting on cap, goggles and wetsuit:
Getting out of shoes:
Swimming
00:28:28 | 1640 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Performance: Bad
I wore my HRM during the swim. I'm never sure how accurate that is in the water, but my HR average was 155 and a max of 173. That's pretty high. That would probably be an indication of, um, anxiety?
Suit: Orca Predator 2 Full
Course: 2 laps of a 4 buoy course.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time:  02:00
Overall: Bad
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit: Bad
Getting into shoes: Average
Running
00:26:31 | 03.11 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Avg HR 175. Splits: Mile 1 - 8:34, Mile 2 - 8:38, Remainder: 9:18.
Course: Out and back loose gravel trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-06-01 9:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: Surf and Turf Series #1 - Long Course

2006-06-01 10:01 AM
in reply to: #440165

User image

Extreme Veteran
Aurora, CO
Subject: RE: Surf and Turf Series #1 - Long Course
Nice work, that wind was pretty rough. I thought it was going to blow a contact out of my head.
2006-06-01 10:28 AM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO

I was sending good vibes your way as I drove across the plains!  You really stayed strong through the run!  Good first outing - and a great place to get used to the wetsuit, the washing-machine swim start, and finding your towel!   Now you're ready for the tri season. 

2006-06-01 10:45 AM

User image

Expert
Denver
I couldn't agree more on not liking the run on that gravelly type road, at least in terms of speed. I'm constantly looking for areas that are more firm for each step, which is probably a waste of energy in its own right. That's the real reason I didn't do the run. You still had a good run though.
2006-06-01 1:37 PM

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI

I was pretty darn close in my time predictions, wasn't I?  FROMER pats himself on the back.

Start closer to the front, get a different wetsuit.

Umm.... Mcfly?!  Didn't I say you should have worn your ORANGE swimsuit?!

How did you place?  I STRONGLY encourage you to start in the FIRST or second row for the swim.  You've definitely got the speed.   SERIOUSLY.   F drafting.  YOU should be leading!!  OTHERS should be drafting off YOU.  GOT IT?!  If you're drafting your NOT in the right frame of mind as your obviously NOT swimming fast enough!  ATTACK, and find your INNER Stacie!

I know my run time would have been better if I didn't have to fight that wind the whole way back, but I just put my head down (partially to keep my visor from blowing off!) and gutted it out.

Running on gravel sucks!  Good for you for gutting it out!!   I know your running will GET BETTER.   I really think you can go 8's...if you find your INNER Stacie!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Surf and Turf Series #1 - Long Course Rss Feed