Georgia MultiSports Productions
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 10m 4s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Had to get the bike racked the night before and it was here that I realized that I couldn't rack the tri bike like I used to as the bike is too tall and I had to almost turn the bike on its side to get it out. Looked around to see how others were racking their bikes and came up with an alternative way.

Really stretched my legs as my hamstring was bothering me from all the driving I had done this week.

Got up at 4:40, got dressed had some oatmeal with peanut butter, fixed my water bottles and off to the race site by 5:20. After setting up I had a banana and half of a cliff bar all while drinking water.
Event warmup:

Walked around quite a bit, and stretched some more but no real warm up.

Swim
  • 50m 43s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 24s / 100 yards
Comments:

The race was delayed about 20 minutes.

Started the swim feeling good, got to the first buoy and all of a sudden I got really tired so I flipped over on my back and started swimming. Next thing I know I heard someone yelling, looked up and realized that they were yelling at me as I had swam inside the triangle. Quickly got back on course. Every so often I would flip over on the back to catch my breath but didn't stay very long on the back to make sure I was on course. After getting out of the water we had to run on soft sand and then up a steep hill into transaction. I thought overall I had a good swim till I saw how long I was out there. Would have liked to know how much that getting off course hurt me.
What would you do differently?:

Practice swimming in Open Water and sighting.
Transition 1
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

Had a great location in transition. Ran straight into transition and got my bike shoes on, helmet, took a sip of Infinit and off I went.

nothing
Bike
  • 3h 37m 49s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.43 mile/hr
Comments:

As soon as I got on the bike I knew something wasn't right. At first my left hip felt like it was locked up, as soon as that felt better, the muscles in my inner thighs were really hurting like I pulled a groin muscle. Never had a problem with the groin till today. Every time I would get down in the aero position my thighs would scream at me as the pain was intensify more in that position then when I wasn't. Stopped at the aid station around mile 30 and tried to stretch it out, it felt a little bit better after that.
Transition 2
  • 02m 43s
Comments:

Sat down to change shoes and put socks on and to catch my breath.
Run
  • 2h 39m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Was moving slow off the bike and was planning on running to every aid station and then walk some. The course seemed to be all up hill on the way out and I ended up walking the first half of it. The hamstring issue that I had been dealing with the last few months started bothering me again as well as that groin muscle. Figured if I could walk the first half perhaps I could run the last half and that is exactly what I did.

Do longer brick workouts
Post race
Warm down:

After the first aid station on the run I saw someone drinking a beer and it was at that point it was all I was craving. After crossing the finish line I went straight to the tent and got my cold beer.

Event comments:

I learned that it is probably best that I not do not do a long business trip right before the race. Came home last Thursday night after driving for 6 hours and then turned around and left late Friday morning. We were camping so we wanted to get there in plenty of time to get set up and relax.

Last updated: 2012-03-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:50:43 | 2112 yards | 02m 24s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course: The course was shaped in a triangle going clockwise. The water was warmer then the air temperature. No wet suits
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:49
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:37:49 | 56 miles | 15.43 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Strong
Course: Rolling hills, head winds at every direction. There was one road that was extremely rough. The roads were open while we were racing and there was a lot of vehicles honking at us and it made it difficult to pass at times.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:43
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:39:00 | 13.1 miles | 12m 08s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Besides the aid stations there was no fan support. It seemed that the entire course was all sunny. This year's race was the coolest it has been.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-06-03 8:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Rock 'N RollMan Half

2012-06-03 8:58 PM
in reply to: #4242220

User image

Regular
Cincinnati
Subject: RE: Rock 'N RollMan Half
Great job fighting to through to the finish when things weren't going well. It's much more impressive to complete these endurance events when things are going wrong, than when everything goes right. This will only make you stronger for Louisville.
2012-06-03 9:57 PM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Kathy, you did awesome!!! your times are great! Sorry about all the muscle issues, that had to be not fun at all at the beginning of the bike... glad you rode through it..

• . and man, your husband was SUCH a great cheerleader!!!

• Congrats on a great race (even though you don't feel it was)
    2012-06-04 6:44 AM

User image

Expert
    All I can say, is "thank goodness you didn't defile Dario"!
    2012-06-04 8:12 AM

User image

Expert
    Congrats on the finish!!! You were able to get through some tough spots and cross that finish line.  Now you know what it feels like and can make adjustments for future races.  Awesome job!
    2012-06-08 5:44 PM

Washington DC

Way to go, Kathy!

It sounds like it was difficult, but great practice for IMKY. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
    {postbutton}
    General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'N RollMan Half Rss Feed