World Endurance Canada
13C / 55F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 41m 59s
Overall Rank = 54/475
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 6/74
Pre-race routine:

Was at the race site early - decided that I could actually have a better spot in transition by racking in the overflow rack, and I think this was a good choice.
Event warmup:

Didn't do much at all - no running or riding in advance. Just swam to warmup before our wave went off.
Swim
  • 14m 5s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

I've been working on the swim a lot lately, trying to get a lot more time in the pool. I don't know that this has done anything for my swim speed (maybe a bit) but I'm hoping it translates into better overall fitness for the swim and then having energy for the ride and run.

I actually thought I had done a bit better on this swim because I didn't see many in my wave around me near the end. It was mostly the stragglers from the prior waves. The start was chaos and there was no where to go but into other swimmers, I tried to find some feet but had no luck, and ended up just trying to find some clear water and swam on my own.

The last section back to the shore was the toughest because we were straight into the current and the chop, but for the most part I managed this okay. I did find that my stroke was a lot sloppier than it feels in the pool - need some more time OWS.
What would you do differently?:

Not much - I'll keep swimming as much as possible and work on finding some more speed and increased fitness in the water.
Transition 1
  • 01m 52s
Comments:

What a disaster....The weather was pretty cool and I didn't want to deal with freezing on the bike so I kept debating whether I would take time to put on gloves and arm warmers. Ultimately I didn't cause I was so wet that trying to put on a glove was a struggle so I just left them in transition.

However I had been clever the night before and added toe covers to my shoes. But, they tend to press the shoe in and deform it a little, so I stuffed some newspaper inside to keep the shoe's shape. Needless to say, I was standing in T1 pulling paper out of my shoes...

What would I not do differently!!
Bike
  • 51m 50s
  • 30 kms
  • 34.73 km/hr
Comments:

It looked like it was going to be a wet ride, but the rain never materialised, however there was a strong wind out of the NW making the first half of the ride pretty tough. I managed to stay aero and that was a big help.

I felt like I rode well and passed lots of other riders, but also got passed by a couple of guys in my AG. One I know is going to Vegas and I let him go straight away. I am a bit disappointed with my power numbers, ideally I would have liked to see it about 10 watts higher, but just didn't feel like I was willing to dig any deeper and push that extra power. Speed felt good, so I left the watts where they were.

Nothing. This was a strong ride and I wouldn't change anything, but will work on pushing some harder intervals in the next few weeks to get more adjusted to harder, race pace efforts. Doing them just on the trainer is not enough.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

Got this transition wrong as well - went to the wrong rack, but figured that out very fast, but had trouble getting into my running shoes and wasted some time there.

Just need to work on these some more. Silly place to be losing time.
Run
  • 33m 1s
  • 7.5 kms
  • 04m 24s  min/km
Comments:

Had a good overall run, but the first 3km were tough. My back was very tight from the ride and gut was not happy with me (needed to pee). I only got passed once on the run, and managed to pass that runner back at km 5. After the first 3km I really seemed to find my legs and was moving well and made up some AG spots, but there was one runner just down the road who I couldn't bridge up to. Ultimately I wish I could have dug deeper (not sure if I had it in me), but I lost the final AG podium spot by 13 seconds because I couldn't catch the guy ahead.

I'd like to figure out what I can do to come off the bike and not be as stiff in my back. I get this all the time, and it impacts how I can run. Plan to also up the running volume and see what this does for the race pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, got to spend time with my personal cheering section that had come out to cheer me on. Stretched out the muscles a bit, and tried not to sit down. Glutes and quads were feeling it the most after the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was a solid performance. I've been plagued by side stitches in the past that have ruined my ability to run off the bike, and now at the Sprint distance I just stick to water on the bike and run. I hardly drink that much, and it seems to help matters.

Event comments:

I haven't done this race for a couple of years, but will be back next year if my schedule allows it. A lot of fast guys come out to race this event, and it's a good opportunity to gauge where I am.

Last updated: 2012-05-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:05 | 750 meters | 01m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 19/74
Overall: 136/475
Performance: Good
Suit: Nineteen Pipeline
Course: Basic, off shaped triangle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:52
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:51:50 | 30 kms | 34.73 km/hr
Age Group: 6/74
Overall: 50/475
NP = 216 watts IF = 88% Cad = 83
Wind: Strong
Course: Hilly course - basically the first half is climbing the Niagara Escarpment, with one large hill, and some rollers. Then you get to go back the other way.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:33:01 | 07.5 kms | 04m 24s  min/km
Age Group: 3/74
Overall: 46/475
HR in the mid 160's for most of the run, but the strap was not picking up at the beginning of the run very well so I don't have an overall average.
Course: Tough, hilly course. Straight out of transition onto a trail and up a couple of hills, and then continue on the trail, and run uphill once on to the road, then back onto another trail and up another hill. Then back down for the way back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-06-03 9:25 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: Milton Triathlon

2012-06-08 10:30 AM
in reply to: #4242295

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acton, Ontario
Subject: RE: Milton Triathlon

enjoyed the report! 

From where I stand, it looks like you really performed well in all 3 disciplines. A few fumbles in transition, but really nice result overall!

I have had back pain in the past coming off the bike. For me it was related to hydration. As soon as I am a little dehydrated, the first thing that tightens up is my mid-back. It can be really tough trying to run in that state.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Milton Triathlon Rss Feed