Leon’s World’s Fastest Traithlon
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 33m 31s
Overall Rank = 242/563
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 30/70
Pre-race routine:

Got up with plenty of time, got PB & pita and a point of water. Went to the bathroom and took off
Event warmup:

Nothing as usual.
Swim
  • 28m 41s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

Went out strong and hit a pace that I ended up keeping for the whole course. I did have a much better time sighting and was very very comfortable in the water for this event. I had a great time and just kept my head in the moment. Counterclockwise course in a horseshoe shape. Bouys were on the left which suited my perfectly.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing at this point. Zero training got me my best time in 3 years at thw same event sooooo,
Transition 1
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

I had a good approach and found my rack as practiced without any problems. I had my suit off quickly but my left foot needed another step and pull to get it off. That cost me anothe 3 seconds. Helmet was on fast and race number belt as well.

I'll have to remember to take bigger steps when working on the legs of the wetsuit. It should only take me 2-3 steps to get it off per leg.
Bike
  • 1h 16m 55s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.38 mile/hr
Comments:

The headwind heading Southbound was brutal. I know I lost 5-6 minutes of time due to the wind and I was not prepared to give the effort needed to compensate. I tried to keep my effort level constant while losing time to the winds to mitigate my lost mph's and I thought I did it well enough.

I started the year off so well in the winter months to get my bike training rolling but I left if off for the last 3-4 months now. I can see that I still have a bit of fitness left based on my time and mph average as well as how well I was able to run off the bike. Next year I should be able to be a bit more consistant in order to get a better bike time winds or no winds.
Transition 2
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

I was in and out pretty fast. I did get hung up wondering if I was forgetting something. Wondering if I needed to run with my water bottle, etc.

I need to practice going over my T2 mentally while approaching the bike finish. I little mental practice and I would have been a bit more confident and out of there faster.
Run
  • 44m 11s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out too fast around 6:15/mile pace and my high left hammie was already starting to seize up and almost cramping. I changed my stride a bit and tried to slow down enough to get my legs back. I slowed down to 6:36 and kept losing time into mile 3 just to be cautious and was at 7:36 per mile at my lowest. After mile 3 I started to gamble a little bit and started the climb back in pace to finish strong. This was a good stragegy and it was nice to see my pace come back to 6:36 for the last mile. Again, I'm very proud of that nugget under the conditions we had to bike in. I could have gamble earlier and dug deeper but I didn't want to hurt myself and end up wrecked for next weekend (Madison Trek 100). All in all, very good decision making in my comeback from RA.

With just a bit more training and prep work, I could have known if digging deeper would have been ok to do. Hindsight is 20-20 and I'm not at all dissapointed.
Post race
Warm down:

Took 1 water down, 1 Gatorade down, and took a long couple of minutes doubled over to make sure and catch my breath and assess my situation. Took another water and poured it over my head and back to make sure I was cooling down enough.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just the unknown of what a harder pace would do at an earlier point in the run. My bike fitness was not in the best place either so dealing with the wind and holding my effort back to save for the run was something I had to do. I just wanted to make sure I didn't blast my legs to the point where I would be a cramp fest on the run.

Event comments:

"Leon" and the rest of the crew put on an amazing race and an amazing production. There was plenty of spectator support, town support, and ameneties down to the awesome pro-style finish shoot. I would not hesitate to recommend this race to anyone. Just top-notch all the way around.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-01-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:41 | 1500 meters | 01m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 48/70
Overall: 356/563
Performance: Good
Suit: Full Orca Equip
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:12
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:16:55 | 24.85 miles | 19.38 mile/hr
Age Group: 40/70
Overall: 308/563
Performance: Below average
Double loop
Wind: Headwind
Course: Great course and totally clear of all obstacles and traffic.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:31
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good