General Discussion Race Reports! » Kure Beach Double Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Kure Beach Double Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kure Beach, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 40m 7s
Overall Rank = 81/133
Age Group = 45 - 49
Age Group Rank = 7/12
Pre-race routine:

My son, James, just graduated from N.C. State and is home for 2 weeks before moving to Rocky Mount to start his new career, so I wanted to make this trip into somewhat of a family vacation with him.

We left Friday morning and went straight to the Serpentarium in Wilmington. It is a HUGE building full of poisonous snakes and constrictors! Eeeeek!

Photobucket

Then we went to Flaming Amy's for lunch, which has become a Kure Beach tradition. I didn't know he could eat with chop sticks!

We went to packet pickup, checked into hotel, then off to the beach for some open water swim practice. The water so SO ROUGH that Pete refused to get it. Hope it calms down for the race tomorrow!

Photobucket
Event warmup:

Got up at 4:00 a.m. Had coffee and a half of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, then headed to the race sight. Bumped into Louie and Daryn, so FINALLY got to meet those two elusive guys in person! We've had a few encounters on race courses, but never had a chance to speak until now. Louie was a BIG help to me when I prepared for my first Half a couple of years ago. Also found several of my teammates; we had about 11 team members at this race.

I only had time to jump in the water a few minutes before race start to get over the initial shock.
Swim
  • 32m 48s
  • 820 yards
  • 04m / 100 yards
Comments:

This race is swim, run, bike, run, swim, (4 transitions!) so I'll have to double up the comments.

Swim 1, 410 yards (14:44)- First segment. Got out through the breakers, rounded the buoy, then swam parallel to the shore before coming back in. The water was relatively calm. Swim 1 includes T1.

Swim 2, 410 yards (18:04) - Final segment of the race after running, biking, then running again. Also includes a really long run from the transition site to the swim start WAY down the beach. T4 is located at the swim finish, so we had to run all the way back to the swim start to get back in. The second swim got rough and I was worried about my hamstring seizing up. My goggles fogged up and I had a hard time sighting the buoys. I actually stopped a few times to sight because I could not tell if I was being sucked off course by the rough water. Swim 2 includes T4.

Everyone complained about swim times this year and said the the course was long. My Garmin shows my first swim at 545 yards from shore to shore, but I did not capture the second swim.

IMG_20120602_072123
What would you do differently?:

More ocean practice.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

This race had four transitions which were not chip timed. So chip times are included in the segments.

T1: Ocean to run - Pulled off goggles and cap while running to my spot on beach. Put on sunglasses, grabbed run belt and shoes, and ran up to the boardwalk. The baby pool for rinsing feet had no water left, so I grabbed a cup from the aid station and poured it over my feet to rinse the sand off. Pulled on shoes and ran.

T2: Run to bike - I pulled my feet out of my wet shoes and the inserts came out! But this happened last year, so I was prepared with a second pair of dry shoes for the second run. Put cycle shoes on and ran with bike to the mount line.
Bike
  • 37m 35s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 19.83 mile/hr
Comments:

This is two loops of 6+ miles out and back. Pulled right hamstring on second loop which slowed me down. Ouch!

IMG_20120602_075138
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T3: Bike to run - I attempted to use the multisport function on my Garmin but was only successful in capturing the first swim. Since I like to know my run pace, I fumbled with it in transition to set it to run.

T4: Run to swim - I pulled off my shoes as soon as I crossed the chip mat on the beach so that I could run barefoot through the sand to my spot. Dropped my shoes, grabbed my cap and goggles and headed for the swim start farther up the beach.
Run
  • 29m 50s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Run 1 (14:52) - Run 1 time includes T2 time.

Run 2 (14:58) - By now my right hamstring was really giving issue and I was getting worried because I still had another swim to do. Run 2 time includes T3 time.

IMG_20120602_074708
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out with the other Fayetteville Area Tri-Warriors at the Finish Line! Then we went to the hotel to shower and check out before 11:00 a.m. The we went to the Tri-Warrior "relaxation area" for refreshments. Then back to the beach for antoehr dip before heading home.

Photobucket

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I've had a knee injury all spring which has kept me from training. I've been under a doctor's care, but I'm not even cleared yet to be training or racing. But I already missed the White Lake Sprint that I was registered for, which resulted in tears, and there was NO WAY I was going to miss the Kure Beach Double (my favorite Sprint!).

This is my 3rd year doing this race and I would have loved to PR, but that was not to be. I did it last year in 1:21:38, which would have gotten 2nd AG this year. But I will be back.

Event comments:

This is my favorite Sprint distance race.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-06-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:48 | 820 yards | 04m / 100yards
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/133
Performance: Below average
Suit: None
Course: Ocean swim parallel to shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:35 | 12.43 miles | 19.83 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:50 | 03 miles | 09m 50s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-06-06 8:31 AM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Subject: Kure Beach Double Sprint Triathlon

2012-06-06 9:53 AM
in reply to: #4247346

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Subject: RE: Kure Beach Double Sprint Triathlon

it was greatr to finally meet you, long overdue.

Welcome back to the fold. With your lack of training and injuries you did great out there. You are right about it been a fun little race. I have never done it, but will be back next year.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kure Beach Double Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed