General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First "sprint" in one week Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-02 2:05 PM

Subject: First "sprint" in one week
Any veterans out there willing to provide some insight, advice, etc.? I am competing in my first sprint next week and I have been training hard since the end of Jan. I'm looking at getting through the first one and then working on the olympic distances in July and August and then trying to shoot for a 1/2 IM next year, and a full in ??

I have not swam since high school and to be swimming again regularly is great. In the past, I have chosen bikes over running, but I have suddenly been bit by the running bug...

Any ideas in terms of what to do/not to do the week before a race would be appreciated. Also, how do I avoid the horror stories of black eyes, knockouts, etc., during the swim?

Thanks in advance !

Oilcan

2006-06-02 2:11 PM
in reply to: #441594

User image

Subject: RE: First "sprint" in one week

1.  Have fun.

2.  Learn all you can

3.  Get there early, set up transition.  In Transition, the simpler the better.  THere's a good hand drawn diagram here by Michael Pate showing how to lay things out.  Just do it logically, in the order you'll be using them

I have my tri top already on, lay the bike shoes out, as open as possible.  helmet/glasses  up on the bike.  ABove that, I have the running shoes visor and race belt.  Maybe a bottle of water off to the side to rinse off the sand.  that's it!

4.  If you get mixed up in the middle you may get bumped around on the swim.  If your swim isn't as strong, just line up to the outside, wait for the fish to go off and then swim your swim.

5.  Taper ... I am not scientific about it, but I don't do much tapering for a sprint.  If it's a SUnday race, Friday is off, then I do an easy swim, bike and run Saturday.  I mean really  easy, and short.

6.  Oh, and have fun

2006-06-02 2:43 PM
in reply to: #441599

Thanks for the tips!

The race belt? I just picked up a pair of Yankz laces and they seem ok, but what is the race belt? Does it make things easier?
2006-06-02 2:46 PM
in reply to: #441646

User image

Elite
New City, New York
There is one in the BT Store under accessories and yes it makes things easier. My advice, don't try anything new on race day i.e gels, drinks etc. and get a run in on those Yanz just to make sure you get them fitting right.

Edited by rollinbones 2006-06-02 2:48 PM
2006-06-02 2:56 PM
in reply to: #441652

Speaking of trying out the Yankz, I used them the other night and set out for my fastest 3 mile run to date. I finished at 8:14/minute, but I had a sharp pain in my left outer hip. At first I thought it was the laces, but then decided it was probably just going too fast to start without a good enough warm up...
2006-06-02 3:06 PM
in reply to: #441663

User image

Elite
New City, New York
8:14, very nice. and hey you'll have that little bike ride as warm-up so maybe 8 flat good luck and smile

2006-06-02 3:11 PM
in reply to: #441683

My mistake - 8:16, not 8:14 !
2006-06-02 3:24 PM

User image

Oh wait, you're faster than me.....

Let me add a few tips.  Doggy paddle the swim, it will be much easier for you.  In fact, wait 10 minutes until everyone's left.

On the bike, coast a LOT.  Save your legs for the run.  Oh yeah, get off and walk every 2 miles.

On the run, wear the heaviest shoes you can find.  Good training.  And don't forget to uyse the portapotty before leaving t2.  no matter how long the line is

Race belt is OK I think to use race day for the first time, just adjust it so it fits.  Better than pinning on the numer.

2006-06-02 3:26 PM

User image

Regular

OK, so I'm not an expert or anything but here's my advice (things that I wish people would have told me):

Get there early enough so that you feel prepared and not rushed, and if you don't know how to do something, just ask.  Most triathletes will be happy to help you out.

Good Luck!!!

2006-06-02 5:00 PM
in reply to: #441733

It seems like that advice would be counterproductive, but since it is my first tri, and I trust you, I will try it out!

Funny stuff!
2006-06-02 5:56 PM
in reply to: #441843

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
Definitely get there early. And bring a bucket. It was great to put all sorts of stuff in to lug from your car, and it makes a great seat when you're putting on shoes.

Have fun.

Practice transitions before the race. Just to make sure you have everything.

Have fun.

Taper the week before. If you've been training that hard, a few easy swims, bikes, and runs won't affect you.

Have fun.

Don't forget the bodyglide.

Have fun.

If you have an extra set of anything (goggles, swim cap), bring it. Surely someone will forget theirs.

Have fun.

2006-06-02 6:16 PM

Elite Veteran
Just try to relax and enjoy the experience. Easier said than done, I know. You'll be nervous before the swim, but the nerves go away once you start swimming. And a tri isn't won on the swim. Stay relaxed and go at your own pace. Bike your bike and ride at a comfy/fast pace. A tri isn't won on the bike. Do not get discouraged at the # of folks who pass you on the bike. If you bike and run smart, you'll pass a lot of folks on the run. Or not. Who cares, you're doing your first tri!

I've never done an IM, but I've never gotten beaten up on a swim. People may touch you/bump into you, but you shouldn't be too concerned with swim contact. It happens, it isn't malicious, and very few people would dream of advancing their race by swimming over you. Don't worry about that.

I assume you are doing a sprint tri as your first. If so, don't worry about your nutrition. Eat something a few hours beforehand and have water or something on the bike. You don't need to worry about gus/gels and when to take them. You won't need anything on the run if you've prepared correctly. Since this is your first, I'd take a gu with water before your swim, gatorade in an aerobottle on the bike and nothing on the run.

Concentrate on calm, happy, thoughts and have a great race.

2006-06-02 9:57 PM

Yeah I had the same exact questions the week before as I completed my first on May 21st. Like everyone says, don't doubt yourself at this point because you've obviously put in the training time and will do great. I took the day off before the race, even though I felt like I had to workout. I think the thing that helped me the most is that I didn't push myself early on during the tri. I did the swim at a comfortable pace, didn't push it on the bike, and was able to finish the run strong. Best of luck and let us know if you have any other questions. I was where you are two weeks ago, it's an exciting time make sure you enjoy it. Best of luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First "sprint" in one week Rss Feed