General Discussion Race Reports! » Warsaw Aqua Mile Open Water Time Trial Swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Warsaw Aqua Mile Open Water Time Trial Swim - SwimOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Warsaw, Indiana
United States
Center Lake Conservation Association
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 34m 36s
Overall Rank = 26/43
Age Group = F 50-54
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

Ate a banana and drank some water at home about 5:30 since I couldn't sleep. Couldn't decide if I wanted to wear a wetsuit or not so I packed all my different ones. Piddled around the house then drove the 7 miles to race site.
Event warmup:

Chatted with folks but didn't do any warm up. After talking to my friend, Pat, who is an awesome swimmer and was wearing his wetsuit, I decided to go with his thinking - on a swimming event where you're allowed to wear your wetsuit, then wear it. No indecision for me any more - that'll be my policy. Last year I'd just gotten my P3Z skinsuit and wanted to try it out so I wasn't in the wetsuit division. I kind of wanted to do a true year to year comparison so that was part of my indecision. Any ways, put on my wetsuit and we were off.
Swim
  • 34m 36s
  • 1760 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

There were only 43 of us total but I was surprised by all the jostling. I felt so comfortable from the start, though. Although I'm a bilateral breather, I'd always held my breath before exhaling and last week at the Y I'd really worked on not lifting my head out of the water so much, taking a quick breath and then immediately exhaling. I made it a challenge to see if I could do that throughout the race and I give myself a "B" for that effort. I've also been working on lengthing my stroke by pulling all the way through so that was another thing I concentrated on in the race. My sighting around the two sides of the triangle was pretty spot on, only drifting a bit. The last side of the triangle isn't straight because you have to go around the pier and I drifted out too far and lost some seconds getting back. I kept running into people throughout the course so I knew I was doing better than last year where I was 3rd to the last out of the water and never ran into another person. I was really surprised to run across the finish mat over 7 minutes faster than last year. I'm confident the course was the same distance as last year due to the times other repeat competitors posted. I don't know how much of that reduced time to attribute to the wetsuit. Pat told me he knocks about 20 seconds off every 400 yds in a wetsuit so that would translate to about 1 1/2 minutes of the 7. I'll take the additional 5 1/2 as an improvement thanks to my BT mentor group. :) Without a doubt, watching a video of yourself swim is a HUGE eye opener and points to major flaws in your stroke. Their input helped me concentrate on things I hadn't worked on in the 6 years since I learned to swim. Thanks a bunch, Junkies! Last year I was 33 out of 35 overall and 11 out of 12 females. This year I was 26 out of 43 overall and 12 out of 16 females. As usual, I was the oldest lady there. Not too shabby.
What would you do differently?:

I can always improve on my swimming, no matter how much time I put in the water. For the race, I wouldn't change a thing since I was so pleased with the results and improvements.
Post race
Warm down:

Peeled off the wetsuit and changed into street clothes and a hat since I had to stop by the grocery store and library on my way home. Grabbed some pretzels,goldfish, oranges and chatted with folks. They handed out awards right away and I got 3rd place in the wetsuit female division. There were only 4 of us in it but bringing home a little trophy always makes my family laugh so I was glad to be able to humor them.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Having a perfect swim stroke with perfect sighting. :) As I get more comfortable with my new breathing and stronger stroke, I do need to do more speedwork, though.

Event comments:

It's the only swim race in our area so I always want to support it. The funds raised go back into the lake so it's a good cause.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-06-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:36 | 1760 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 26/43
Performance: Good
Suit: Rocket Science Sports sleeveless full leg
Course: Triangular course with a total of 7 bouys - 5 yellow and 2 orange where the turns were.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-06-10 7:18 AM

User image

Subject: Warsaw Aqua Mile Open Water Time Trial Swim

2012-06-11 4:41 AM
in reply to: #4253708

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: Warsaw Aqua Mile Open Water Time Trial Swim

Awesome event Brenda!!!  I love to see that swim getting better.  I hope you noticed your per 100 yard time.  Your under 2:00 minutes!!!!  Congrats!!!

It sounds like you had a good relaxed swim that probably helped you get your time lower.  Sometimes just having a specific focus on technique can provide the solid end result you are looking for.  You made the Junkies proud for sure!

2012-06-11 12:57 PM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Congrats on the decrease in time!!!!!
2012-06-11 1:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA

AWESOME! 7 minutes off your previous time is amazing, and sub 2:00 per 100 yards for a mile!

As for wetsuit vs non wetsuit the numbers I have heard before were 10 seconds faster per 100 with, but I've never tried to compare personally. Even with that though your improvement is fantastic.

2012-06-13 7:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Huntertown, IN
What a fantastic time!  Congratulations!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Warsaw Aqua Mile Open Water Time Trial Swim Rss Feed