Chasing3
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 39m 52s
Overall Rank = 53/78
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 9/11
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at Santa Rosa Lake State Park as the campsites at Ft Sumner showed full on the web and Ft Sumner Days in Fort Sumner had the hotels all booked up. Not too bad made a fishing trip out of it with my parents.

Got up at 4:15 and had 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes and 4 tbsp maple syrup with a protein shake. Drove to lake and set up transition.

This is my first race as an age grouper coming out of the clydesdale ranks. Hmmm these guys aren't playing.
Event warmup:

Waited in the nervous stomach line for the 2 toilets available. Walked down the boat ramp.
Swim
  • 36m 5s
  • 1760 yards
  • 02m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

I swam faster than my training by a few seconds per hundred which I am very consistent on. So the course my have been a little short, or maybe I was just amped. Time includes running up the ramp.

I got kicked once and bumped a few people but for 80 people supposedly swimming in a straight line we all spread out quite a bit. I felt good I guess I could push harder and I know I have a lop-sided stroke so I can work on that. For my first open water swim race I was comfortable and it wasn't too bad. The water was chocolate milk, maybe 1 ft visability.
What would you do differently?:

Swimming is something I just need to work on.
Transition 1
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

Had a hard time clipping in. Got in 1 gu and wetsuit came off pretty easy. Socks and shoes on, helmet and glasses on and go.

Just be more aggressive mounting the bike.
Bike
  • 1h 02m 4s
  • 19 miles
  • 18.37 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was okay. I would like to take one ride in NM on smooth pavement. It wasn't abnormally rough but if you didn't preview the course you wouldn't have ssen some pretty good bumps. Like the the speed bumps coming back into the park. I must admit I didn't like that.

This being my first oly, I didn't know how hard to push it. I had a good run so I think I hit it about perfect for me. The bike was short so I guess we'll have to see how the run goes on the next one.

I need some other hydration option, my aero drink holder is hard to use when it is bumpy, I jammed it in my lip and cut it, not bad but I didn't drink as much as I wanted to on the bike. Turned out okay but gotta work on something else. Got one more gu in just passed the turnaround.
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

I forgot my run belt and had to go back like 10 steps, oops!

Overall wasn't bad, I overshifted my chain off on the inside of the crank on a speed bump I think. Maybe need a chain stop luckily I was able to coast to the dismount. Cost me at least 2 seconds!
Run
  • 58m 20s
  • 6.19 miles
  • 09m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

What can I say, I ran the fastest 10k I ever have so that's good. Just not nearly as fast as everyone else. The course was a good test. Aid stations at 2.5k and 5k with water and sponges. I could have used 1 more water station. Took gus on the 2.5k and 5k stations and just water at 7.5k. It was starting to get hot.

I boosted my pace at the turn and pushed pretty hard, I finished spent so I guess this was a good run for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, gatorade, walked around packed up transisiton and drove back to santa rosa. Had lunch and took a long nap!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was a test race and everything went well.

Event comments:

First year race at the oly distance. Would like to see a better thought out bike course without speed bumps closer to the right distance. Maps for the bike online were nonexistant until a couple of days before the race and ended up being wrong. I had a good time.

I will thank whoever turned the wind machine off. The day before the race and shortly after the wind was howling. The race however was great.

Last updated: 2012-05-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:05 | 1760 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/11
Overall: 49/78
Performance: Average
Suit: Vortex 4
Course: 2 laps 1/2 mile each around 2 bouys clockwise
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:06
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:02:04 | 19 miles | 18.37 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/11
Overall: 47/78
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Out and back with a lollipop to the east camping area overlook.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:58:20 | 06.19 miles | 09m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/11
Overall: 59/78
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back. Good climb right out of T2, uphill mostly out to turnaround
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-06-10 6:24 PM

User image

Regular
Los Alamos
Subject: Billy the Kid Tombstone Triathlon

2012-06-11 10:21 AM
in reply to: #4254257

User image

Master
Albuquerque
Subject: RE: Billy the Kid Tombstone Triathlon
well done! 
2012-06-11 6:47 PM
in reply to: #4254257

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Nice RR and great race!

I'm glad you didn't deal with the wind this weekend (Moab was another story). I hear ya on the rough roads and the aero bottle on bumpy roads! Just when I think I'm getting the hand of it I smash my lip.

Congrats on the run! We've got some real competitors in NM so be happy with your PR and work for next year.

2012-06-11 10:07 PM
in reply to: #4256503

Veteran
Albuquerque, New Mexico
We couldn't make it out there after all and were bummed as we really like this race. Lots of big dogs showed up for this race so don't worry about your place. I hear you on the rough roads, pretty much like that all over the southwest- at least from my experience, but it makes smooth asphalt feel soooo great when you finally get on some
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Billy the Kid Tombstone Triathlon Rss Feed