North Coast Running Club
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 27m 7s
Overall Rank = 39/?
Age Group = F 41-45
Age Group Rank = 2/?
Pre-race routine:

Got up and fed the chickens (what else? LOL!) Ate a toasted bagel with peanut butter and jam and had a Pepsi to drink.
Event warmup:

Met my friend Sue (snines) and her husband at the race. Did some very light jogging and some stretching. Stood around in the shade trying to stay cool.
Run
  • 27m 7s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

This was supposed to be a 5k, but I drove the course afterwards and got just a smidgen under 3 miles. My goal was to do a 5k in under 30 minutes for the first time. Sue and I started our usual strategy of starting at the back. Worked again this time as no one passed me the entire race. I am definitely not used to running in temps above 50-60 degrees yet so I was worried about the heat. Forecast high for the day was near 90. The sun was out and blazing at the 9am start.

I felt really good the first mile. Mile two I started getting warm. I tried to pick up the pace a little bit, but was worried about going too fast in the heat. I started to pass other runners during that second mile. By mile 3 I was getting so hot, but I picked up the pace as much as I could. I really don't think my body knows the word sprint, but I tried to increase my leg turnover when I saw the finish line. I was excited at my time, but it took me a few minutes of cooling down to make me happy again.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. Drank water and ate a banana. Then stood in the shade with Sue and her husband waiting for the awards. Sue and I were in the same age group because of how they had it set up. She is 44 and I am 45 so we are in different groups for most races. I got second and she got third.

Afterwards I drove the course and then went grocery shopping. Hopefully I wasn't too smelly.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Beginner runner, hot weather, middle age.

Event comments:

This was just a small local race. Maybe about 50-60 participants. We did get t-shirts though which was cool. No water stations during the race which is ok for such a short race. Afterwards, they did have water and fruit. The age group awards were insulated coffee mugs which were nice, but I don't drink coffee.

It was really nice though only driving 20 minutes to get to a race.

Last updated: 2006-05-29 12:00 AM
Running
00:27:07 | 03 miles | 09m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/?
Overall: 39/?
Performance: Good
Mile 1 - 9:23 Miles 2 & 3 - 17:43 The first mile, they had someone standing there calling out times. The second mile was marked on the road, but no one was standing there so I missed it. I looked at my watch a little ways past mile 2 and it said 9:31 so I figure mile 2 was about the same or a little faster than mile 1. That puts mile 3 sub 9 minutes. Cool!
Course: Started on the streets of Ashtabula Harbor by the Lift Bridge. Followed local side streets. One small hill up at the beginning and a small roller during mile 2. The rest was flat.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-06-02 8:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: Lift Bridge Memorial Day 5k

2006-06-20 7:39 PM
in reply to: #441926

User image

Veteran
Nebraska
Subject: RE: Lift Bridge Memorial Day 5k

Great job!  You smashed the 30 minute mark.  Way to go. 

K

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lift Bridge Memorial Day 5k Rss Feed