World Triathlon Corporation
94F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 57m 11s
Overall Rank = 426/1506
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 35/114
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 4:15 after a short night's sleep. Bagel with peanut butter, banana, and a cup of coffee. Chamois butter applied to race kit, and petroleum jelly applied to the nether regions. Picked up transition bag that was already packed and headed to T2 to drop off shoes, hat, and Red Bull before heading down to T1. Drank one bottle of GenUcan. T2, bike checked in the night before (mandatory). Tires inflated, made sure wheels rotating freely and proper gear selection for riding out of transition. Rest of setup normal with helmet, sunglasses, socks, shoes, gloves.
Event warmup:

Not much. About 3/4 mile walk from T2 to T1. Some dynamic arm and leg stretches.
Swim
  • 42m 47s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

Again heavy chop and waves, but felt good about my performance until I saw my time. Felt relaxed and smooth, maybe I was too relaxed.
What would you do differently?:

I'm not sure. I was confident in my swim coming into the race. Had a little issue with sighting I guess due to the waves.
Transition 1
  • 02m 22s
Comments:

Long transition run with bike up a short hill. Shoes on in transition, everything went pretty smooth. Happy with my time. Ran a little past the mount line to avoid traffic jam, clipped in without difficulty. Put gloves on while getting up to speed on the bike.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 2h 59m 15s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.74 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt pretty good most of the way on the bike. The winds were frustrating, but knowing everybody was on the same playing field made it a little better. Mile 35 with a big hill into a head wind was not fun and I probably used a lot of energy in that 10 mile segment before turning back. I am in need of a new cassette that is more conducive to hill climbing. Using too much energy trying to get up them.

Take it a little easier on the flats and decents. I puposely took it as easy as I could on the climbs knowing I have the wrong gearing. I would change out cassettes more conducive to hill climbing, or get a compact chain ring. Bring salt tabs on the bike. Forgot to unpack them in transition.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Felt good going in to transition. Everything went smooth and had a pretty fast time.

Nothing.
Run
  • 2h 11m 32s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Weather hot, 90's and no shade. Aid stations well stocked with everything you need. My problem was severe leg cramps that started a mile into the run. I was really disappointed as I was really looking forward to going out and smashing it. My whole race day execution plan was based on a good run, but was not to be. I'm not sure if it was because of the bike, or not enough electrolytes due to it being a hot day and I forgot my salt tabs, or a combination of both. The first lap of the run I had to stop several times to massage my quads and hamstrings. I could get about 3/4 of a mile out of my legs before having to stop and massage them again. At one point I had to sit down and physically straighten my leg out using the ground because my hamstring on my left leg balled up so bad. I did manage to get some electorlytes in late in the first lap and actually had a negative split for my second lap. Still not what I had hoped for.

Get more gears for my bike. Don't forget to unpack the salt tabs.
Post race
Warm down:

Plenty of water, walked back to camp, about a half mile, and said hi to my kids and ate some salty potato chips before walking back to the finish line to cheer on my wife. Had a little beer, I couldn't help myself. After she finished, we went to the athlete food tent and got some chocolate milk and a pulled pork bar b que sandwich.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Leg muscle cramps. Have never had that happen to me before during a race. Not sure if it was an electrolyte issue, or a too much power output on the bike, or both.

Event comments:

Excellent event. Race director is top notch. Plenty of very helpful volunteers, food, water, etc. I've done this race one other time, and will be back next year, hopefully with better execution.

Last updated: 2012-01-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:47 | 2112 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 26/114
Overall: 408/1506
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: Rectangular counter clockwise loop. Heavy chop with white caps. Deepwater start by age groups. Nonwetsuit swim due to warm water. Felt good through the whole swim, no real sighting difficulty except for maybe being blown off course a couple of times. Stayed to the outside most of the time. Ate a few waves, but for the most part was happy about my swim until I saw the time. Don't know what happened. Must have zig zagged more than I thought.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:22
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:59:15 | 56 miles | 18.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 36/114
Overall: 423/1506
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: One loop with one spur. Sustained 10-20 mph winds with 35 mph gusts. Seemed to be in your face and cross most of the course except for the last 10 miles. Plenty of hills too.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:11:32 | 13.1 miles | 10m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 35/114
Overall: 426/1506
Performance: Bad
Course: Two loops through the campgrounds with big hill you get to see twice. Lots of support, volunteer and spectator wise. No shade to speak of. Hot.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-06-12 8:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Springfield/Branson
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Kansas

2012-06-13 8:07 AM
in reply to: #4258745

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawnee, KS
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Kansas
Tough conditions for sure. It was good seeing you for a split second in passing during the run.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Kansas Rss Feed