Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Biking in Toronto Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-14 9:54 AM

Subject: Biking in Toronto

Hi all,

Have a little question to ask. I live in downtown area (Danforth and Broadview). I am looking for new bike routes for training during the weekdays, something long enough and not crowded. Currently my main weekday rides are in between Leslie str and Cherry str. There is a nice, flat 7.5 km loop, but it is boring I do not ride on Don Valley due too number of people running/biking and those tight turns. So does anyone know some good routes to train on in DownTown Toronto area, where you can maintain 30-37 km speed without having to break every km?

Your advice is highly appreciated

2012-06-15 9:33 PM
in reply to: #4261396

User image

Master
TORONTO
Subject: RE: Biking in Toronto
What time of day are you riding? I have some good routes but timing is everything when you live downtown (I'm in Cabbagetown).
2012-06-19 8:12 AM

Hey,

thanks for replying, I have started to lose hope for any reply already .

I am riding from 1830 to sunset. Also are you a part of any club, any suggestions?

thanks again,

2012-06-19 4:08 PM

Regular
Toronto, ON
How are you in vehicle traffic?  For example, if you're on aerobars, you might not want to ride on Bayview, so that will affect your route choices.
2012-06-19 7:19 PM
in reply to: #4268776

User image

Master
TORONTO
NickChasovskykh - 2012-06-19 9:12 AM

I am riding from 1830 to sunset. Also are you a part of any club, any suggestions?

That's a brutal time - I'd be tempted to just stick to the waterfront trail at that time or maybe go north on the Don Trail but you can't go that fast on either really.  Another option may be to take the subway across to Kennedy and then go east from there.  By the time you go east - then north - and then head back in to the city - you'll be going against traffic and things should have died down.  I'm not sure if you can see some of the routes I've created.  You can go east from Kennedy and slip down in to the Guild area and then ride east to Pickering or Ajax and then head north.  Or cut up earlier near Meadowvale and go north and west around the zoo.  Then I normally hop on Kennedy back in to the city but you could go west on Eglinton and then south down Danforth and across to home.  I tend to ride early morning so have clear sailing until I'm headed back in to the city.  That's when I hop on Kennedy.  But maybe you can check out some of my routes and change them a bit to take the subway out and ride back. 

Here are a couple I do: 
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/map.asp?routeid=176164
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/map.asp?routeid=175749
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/map.asp?routeid=176459

I don't know of any evening group rides but I do know of a couple early morning ones.  One I believe meet at Carlton and Parliament and do a donut run up to Bayview and Eg.  There's another Jet Fuel group that ride.  There's a good cycling shop on Parliament and he was telling me about a bunch in the area.  I think he's even thinking of starting one.  Maybe pop in one weekend and ask him about them.

2012-06-20 1:28 PM
in reply to: #4270455

Regular
Toronto, ON

Thanks for the routes - those look interesting.  I'm in the east end, and I think I'll borrow part of one for my next ride.  I'll drop down to the beach, then pick up your route at Vic Park and Danforth heading east and ride the Guildwood to Taunton stretch.

Do you return on the subway from these rides?  I thought the TTC didn't like bikes before 9:00 a.m.?

2012-06-20 3:42 PM
in reply to: #4271906

User image

Master
TORONTO
fishwallop - 2012-06-20 2:28 PM

Thanks for the routes - those look interesting.  I'm in the east end, and I think I'll borrow part of one for my next ride.  I'll drop down to the beach, then pick up your route at Vic Park and Danforth heading east and ride the Guildwood to Taunton stretch.

Do you return on the subway from these rides?  I thought the TTC didn't like bikes before 9:00 a.m.?

These are rides I do on the weekend. I usually head out around 7:30-8am so I'm returning closer to noon depending on where I go and on the weekend I've never had any issues with my bike on the TTC.  I find the last little stretch can be crazy busy - across Eglinton or north on Kennedy.  I jump on at Kennedy because then I don't have to switch from the Scarborough east TTC to the main line.  For early morning rides I usually ride the Danforth out to Birchmount as it's pretty dead or I'll do hill repeats up Mt. Pleasant (Bloor to St. Clair).  Dundas has a good bike path east so maybe jump down to the lake.  I don't go far during the week (lately haven't been going anywhere!).

I like these courses once you get out of the city because you see the peaceful waterfront and then find yourself in the country.  Sometimes I'll cut across to Musselman Lake and then cut south.  I had a bunch of really cool routes from last summer when training for a century and am trying to remember them all and log them as they come back to me this year.  Got stuck though at around 75K and haven't done any other long rides.  Soon... stay tuned  

2012-06-20 9:13 PM
in reply to: #4271906

User image

If your in the east end you should check out www.beachescycling.comThey are a good sized club with a lot of different calibre of riders. I haven't ridden with them personally but I know a couple of members and they have a good rep. You'll be able to find some good routes through them I am sure.
2012-06-21 8:05 AM

thank you guys for all the advices. I will ride some of these routes. I guess, morning rides is a solution. There is also a club called Morning Glory they meet up every day at Bayview and Davesville at 0540. Will check them out,

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Biking in Toronto Rss Feed