Sun Multi Sport Events
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 42m 54s
Overall Rank = 238/611
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 56/93
Pre-race routine:

Up earlier than I thought I would be. Everything was packed. I had two pieces of oat bread, a pear, a banana, 24 oz of water and 20 of gatorade.
Event warmup:

Stretched out on the roller with my extra time at home and more at the event. Swam about 500 yards.
Swim
  • 39m 56s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started out good and then about a third of the way to the end of the first length a guy punched me in the jaw so hard I thought he broke my jaw or cheek bone. He took my swim cap off in the process but the upside was I put my goggles underneath it which was all that kept it on. I stopped and cleared my head and fixed my goggles.

About another 300 yards this guy decides to do this modified butterfly and scissor kicks me in the hip really hard.

I've never had an event where I've been beat up in the swim so badly. It was a constant battle the entire course. It was also very choppy. Normally this doesn't bother me as I've done lots of ocean swims with chop and last year did NY which had 1-2 waves. But the thing with NY and ocean waves is you firgure out the pattern. There was no pattern to this. The waves weren't consistent in timing or direction. I never got into a groove.
What would you do differently?:

Not almost get knocked out or judo kicked but also practice on a bigger lake like this to get used to this type of chop.
Transition 1
  • 03m 17s
Comments:

My overall time was good for me but my wetsuit zipper got stuck and it required my enlisting the help of one of the workers. I lost a good 30-45 seconds which cost me my T1 record.

Ate a gel on the way out of T1.

Check my zipper a bit better.
Bike
  • 2h 56m 50s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.00 mile/hr
Comments:

When I got back to the bike in T1 I threw on my garmin and it said my heart rate was 169, WTF? I definitely didn't feel like that was my exertion level but given the chop and all the body blows I figured I put out a lot more than I thought I had. I made the best racing decision at this point to take it easy and let my HR come down. I was averaging 156 for the first few even though my level of exertion should have been much less. Around mile 4 I finally got it down to the high 140's even though my level of effort hadn't changed so I started to slowly pick it up.

At the start of the second loop my lower back started really bothering me and I never have lower back issues even on the bike in aero for long periods of time. I'm not sure if it was the judo kick and/or the choppy conditions that took it out of my back. Either way I had to keep stretching it out and coming out of aero. My average HR the first loop was 153 and my average HR the second loop was only 142. I just couldn't push off especially going up hill as the back tightened up.

The wind was also a major factor on the bike. It's the first time I got why people say don't use disk wheels on windy days, not that I can afford them anyway. Even without them I had a really hard time in spots controlling the bike with the gusts. I live by the water so I'm used to riding with windy conditions but normally it's just a consistent head or tail wind going towards or back from the beach. I don't have to deal with cross winds that often because there's always woods on streets that are parallel to the beach. There was this one section of road where there was lake on both side and the gusts were blowing me a couple of feet in both directions.

I also didn't actually hit start on my Garmin until 2 miles in which pissed me off to no end and even with all the extra time I had before the race I didn't check my cycling computer and magnets and they were messed up so I didn't have cadence at all and speed without glancing at the Garmin. #$@^@^@!!!!!!!

On the bike I had 44 oz of gatorade and 4 gels.

I think I played it right at the start bringing my HR down and on the back half backing off with my back in bad shape. I wish I checked the cycling computer out and won't make that mistake again.
Transition 2
  • 03m 18s
Comments:

This was much slower than I thought I was but I didn't wait for a friend who hit transition the same time as me which probably cost me 20-30 seconds but that's still slower than I should be. I wouldn't change waiting for him because talking strategy on the run really helped me out and made me very calm.

Anticipate my bike plan better.
Run
  • 1h 59m 35s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

I was shocked but the back didn't bother me on the run.

I don't usually run with a hat but the race gave us these awesome caps and I decided to wear it given how sunny it was. I ended up stuffing it with ice at every aid station and it really helped me stay cool. Kudos to the race. There was an aid station every mile of the course and all of them had fresh ice. I'd suck on half of it and put half in my hat. As I approached an aid station whatever was still in the cup went in the cap.

I started out at 8:35 for the first mile and mile five was still at 8:44. Mile 6-8 were all 9-9:03 pace. 9 and 10 were 9:25 and 9:31. Mile 11 was my worst mile at 10 flat. Then I finished 9:57 and 9:46. Mile 11 is when the tear drop of my quads started to seize up. I started to use the ice on them as I was running. This adjustment is what allowed me to return to a faster pace. Running while trying to ice your lower quad is tricky.

Coming up the shoot which was lined with people cheering you on I saw two people coming up on me and I sprinted the last 300 yards at 6:20 pace. That's pretty fast for me normally so I was really happy I could put that up at the end.

On the run I had 10oz of gatorade, 3 gels and endless chips of ice.

Not much. Very happy with this run. It's the weakest of the three disciplines for me and the one I was most concerned with and yet today it was the best for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat in a kids pool with ice eating and drinking to recover. I could only do two minutes in and then two out or I started shivering. I was cramping so getting in and out wasn't easy.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Getting beat up in the swim by both the chop and the other racers. Wind and my back on the bike.

Nutrition is interesting. I had 54 oz of gatorade and probably another 16 oz of water and 8 gels. I never felt bonked or that my energy was off. On the other hand the quads were cramping by the end. I don't think I could have consumed more liquids though. I was forcing myself to take in what I did. Either way I'll need to think about this mor.

Event comments:

Best race I've been a part of and I'm very high on a few others. Everything was good. Swag, aid stations, people working the race, post race activities....AWESOME.

The tri group I'm a member of Bay State Triathlon team comprised a large portion of the people working the race and had 43 racers. Hearing GO BAYSTATE!!! every 5 minutes was awesome. Coming up the hill on mile 12 of the run especially. There was a group there and man did I want to walk that hill but hearing that and pride being what it is there was zero chance.

Last updated: 2011-12-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:56 | 2112 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/93
Overall: 261/611
Performance: Below average
Suit: 2XU
Course: Rectangle with .5 out, .2 across and .5 back.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:17
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:56:50 | 56 miles | 19.00 mile/hr
Overall: 249/611
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Two loops mostly flat.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:18
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:59:35 | 13.1 miles | 09m 08s  min/mile
Overall: 257/611
Performance: Good
Course: Rolling hills. Nothing steep but some of them went on for a good while. The worst one is at about mile 12.5
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %2
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-06-17 5:12 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Patriot Half Triathlon

2012-06-17 9:04 AM
in reply to: #4265394

User image

Master
Albuquerque
Subject: RE: Patriot Half Triathlon
Very nice! Congrats.
2012-06-17 12:09 PM

User image

Regular

I'm sure this has already occurred to you, but just in case...might be wise to go to a chiropractor or something to make sure your hip bone is still connected to your leg bone and all that.  Back pain can make anything feel like torture.

And awesome job Cool

2012-06-17 1:29 PM
in reply to: #4265638

User image

Veteran
Awesome race report! Weirdly, I'm a very different racer than you but had many of the same issues (swim chop, swim fights, lower back pain on bike but not on run -and never had it before...) I also enjoyed the hat and used ice which I have never done before - under the hat. Terrific times to be really, really proud of. Super job. Great report
2012-06-18 6:23 AM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

great job!!!!  Too bad we did not get to meet!!!  Maybe sometime in the future!!  That lake was rough and i am really surprised also on the amount of contact, its not like we were piled in like sardines, there was a lot of open water!!

Have a great finish to your season!!

2012-06-18 7:26 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
Good job man.

2012-06-18 8:08 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Fantastic job! It is a very nice race - I'd definitely do it again. Sorry about being pummled during the swim. I was in the W40-49...most considerate group of women to swim with ever...lots of apologies, stopping to make sure everyone was okay, minimal contact...maybe you could switch Money mouth?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriot Half Triathlon Rss Feed