General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I see random thread pulling on BT in full effect.. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 2

2012-06-17 11:37 PM
in reply to: #4265929

User image

Extreme Veteran
Strong Beach, CA
Subject: RE: I see random thread pulling on BT in full effect..
I was really happy to see that Bryan created this thread.  Its a damn shame this forum would have no problem losing such a valuable asset. 

2012-06-17 11:38 PM
in reply to: #4266223

User image

brigby1 - 2012-06-17 8:40 PM

bryancd - 2012-06-17 9:50 PM
ChrisM - 2012-06-17 8:28 PM How do you know it's random (implying withou cause)? Just curious
Oh, it wasn't random. I got a PM form the person who received a one month ban because of a comment they made in the thread. I saw how post and it was nothing, a little obnoxious but nothing anyone couldn't handle and nothing I am not guilty of. My issue is inserted of coming into the thread to tell folks to cool it, they just pull it with no explanation, thus creating even more confusing. This forum has lost so many valuable members due to draconian moderation. It's likely to continue.

That no explanation part bothers me too. I don't have a good idea of where the line is here. I can't see someone else's mistake and there is no explanation of why it was a mistake, so how is anyone else supposed to avoid doing that before doing it themselves? Whether or not it should be banned is another issue for discussion, but we should at least know where the line is. I've been here not quite a year, so less than a number of others, but I'm on very regularly and still not quite clear on this yet. Is it possible to lock a thread, delete the highly offensive parts, and then post a reason why it was locked so we can see it?

And on another note. ST does have a gem of a thread every now and then, but I go there more for entertainment. One thread devolved into three straight pages on the merits of heating syrup (or not) before putting it on the pancakes. That kind of entertainment is hard to find.

There's a link above, called Forum Guidelines.   That should give some idea.   Whether you agree with  them or not, I guess that's one of the benefits of owning your on site.

Moderators are volunteers, by the way.  Monitoring the site, training, working, raising kids, etc.  I don't think it's unreasonable for them not to explain every action taken.   But that's just me, having been a moderator here once.  It's a very busy site.   However, I have noticed lately a few posts indicating in parentheses why a post was modified

I don't really buy the argument that anyone doesn't know what's allowed and what isn't.  I've been here since 2005 and never gotten a time out or a ban.  Just be a decent person, is really all it takes.

2012-06-18 12:58 AM
in reply to: #4266183

User image

Regular
Tucson,AZ,USA,Earth,Orion Arm,Milky Way Galaxy

bryancd - 2012-06-17 9:50 PM
ChrisM - 2012-06-17 8:28 PM How do you know it's random (implying withou cause)? Just curious
Oh, it wasn't random. I got a PM form the person who received a one month ban because of a comment they made in the thread. I saw how post and it was nothing, a little obnoxious but nothing anyone couldn't handle and nothing I am not guilty of. My issue is inserted of coming into the thread to tell folks to cool it, they just pull it with no explanation, thus creating even more confusing. This forum has lost so many valuable members due to draconian moderation. It's likely to continue.

Not sure which thread you're referring to, but I had noticed recently a more Slowtwitch style cropping up in one thread recently, so I'm not surprised something was done about it.  I read and post in both fora (this and Slowtwitch).  Snarking and sniping, for those who don't know, are far more prevalent "over there," which is one of the main reasons why I spend time posting here.

I'd be curious to hear what the infraction was and what the resulting sanction was.  (Names not required, of course)  The moderation on this site may or may not be heavy-handed and may drive away potential posters, but the non-stop bickering on ST about absolutely nothing undoubtedly has the same effect.  ST must lose many folks over their lack of moderation, not that they likely care. 

Asking adults to act the part and be polite is not too heavy-handed, IMO, if that's what this was.  But I don't really know all of the facts or the history, so it's hard to say.

Edited by twquigmd 2012-06-18 12:59 AM
2012-06-18 1:26 AM
in reply to: #4265929

Master
, California

However, I have noticed lately a few posts indicating in parentheses why a post was modified

That's perfectly fine IMO.  Clean up the post that violated the rules and deal with that person.

Killing the entire thread, on the other hand, merely puts the power in the hands of trolls.  I'm not saying every person who wrote a questionable post is a troll, of course.  But it allows certain individuals the power to axe a perfectly good discussion on purpose.

I just browsed that thread via the google cache and I didn't see anything remotely offensive... but what do I know.

2012-06-18 1:58 AM
in reply to: #4266261

User image

Champion
Gold member

I will be freezing two non-random threads and this is why:

ChrisM has it correct.  The moderation policy of BT has changed very little in a decade.  I fully support the mods in what they do as it is a thankless job.  The mods are people like you who want to keep the spirit of the site as close as it can be to the original spirit of the site...that is to be a fully supportive community that respects others opinions.

The guidelines are posted at the top.  Many times we don't tell everyone on a thread why it was pulled or frozen.  It takes time.  It takes moderator time...time away from work, family and training.  It's usually too time consuming to 'clean-up' posts...with quoting and all...a lot easier to just send them to purgatory. There are about 20 moderators for 50,000 posts per month.  The odds are already stacked against the moderators.  They have full time jobs...when they hear about something, it's usually from complaints from users.  There is only so much time in the day.  We are one of the top two triathlon boards and, triathlon aside, we are a top forum in general and it's from our high standards.  We do know that we moderate more strongly than other forums no matter the type of forum even though we don't always give reason of why something got pulled.  If it did, then you bet it was against the forum guidelines of a respectful discussion.  We don't play politics and we don't play favorites - I don't roll that way.  The less I follow you on the forums, the more I can make a unbiased decision on the posts itself. That moderation has paid off in a long-lasting community with as much respect for each other as can be had on the internet.  A new person can come in and post a basic newbie question and not get slammed with negative attitude. 

But comments like "Where's the option for "Who gives a sh$t?"" goes against the very core of the site...to be supportive of fellow triathletes.  Comments like that become toxic no matter how many helpful contributory posts that person has had in the past.  If one really is thinking that (which is fine), then it's just not a thread for you.  Yes, the same topic(s) end up cycling through over-and-over again and to some of the old guard, can become redundant.  But there will always be newer people that will be happy to contribute in a more constructive matter.

BT doesn't have to be full of a bunch of happy cheerleaders.  We like good, honest, heated debate where every poster debates the topic, not assassinate the character of the person.  Debate respectfully. 

Where's the option for "Who gives a sh$t?" doesn't belong here and certainly does not help at all the discussion(s). 

"I wish those that run BT had a little more respect for their community as well."  - Wow...this is really getting personal.  But then again, many newer people don't know me or the mods.  I have lived and breathed BT everyday for 10 years on making it continually better.  There has been plenty of times where I could have used BT as my piggybank and just let the site skate by with no upgrades to anything,  I didn't.  I really don't get true vacations, I am always on answering support email. I have the utmost respect for this community.  Marmadaddy took a pay cut and risked much more leaving a real job to be BT's second employee as a programmer.  Marmadaddy has the utmost respect for the community.  TriAya is our newest mod...she is a much loved and helpful fixture of the community...the fact that she came on as a mod brings a certain risk to her.  But she does it as she has the utmost respect for the community and wants to keep our fundamental ideals alive.  So do all the mods...they have the utmost respect for the site. So much respect that we are sinking a ton of money, and additional programmers and graphic designers to overhaul the site completely.  And overhaul I mean enact pretty much all of your comments over the past 3 years from our surveys.  Who does that?  What site undergoes a redesign and listens to the community and posts updates to get feedback?  A site who's leaders and moderators have the utmost respect for BT and want to make it better for all users.

If one truly has respect for BT, comments like "Where's the option for "Who gives a sh$t?"" wouldn't happen.

Please feel free to pm me or marmadaddy if you have anything else to add or to voice any concerns.

New Thread
CLOSED
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I see random thread pulling on BT in full effect.. Rss Feed  

of 2