United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 10m
Overall Rank = 5/185
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/13
Pre-race routine:

Did all the logistical stuff. picked up packet, timing chip, body marking, transition setup.
Had nothing in the morning by way of food except whey protein. Also drank a vitamin water.
Event warmup:

I felt really good in the morning. Didn't take as long as normal to warm up. I ran circles around the race area, did some pickups and generally made sure I kept moving until called to the pool for the swim start. Once there, there was a long wait for announcements. I kept jumping up and down and dropped a few times for push-ups to keep my heart rate up.
Warm up was a lot less than normal and that would normally have been bad, but this time it didn't seem to hurt.
Swim
  • 03m 53s
  • 200 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

I intended to swim smooth and efficiently without much exertion. I accomplished that, but thought I'd be faster. Just this morning I swam the first 200 of practice in 3:20...why was I so much slower?

This pool has no lines however and the wall blends to the bottom and is absolutely invisible. It's the same color blue as the water. I literally had to use open water sighting to know where the wall was.
What would you do differently?:

Swim with more effort.
Transition 1
  • 00m 27s
Comments:

Great, fast transition. Went in to the water in 17th. Came out in 19th, I think (I was being gracious and waited at the wall for passers).

But I think I passed a lot of people in transition.
Bike
  • 45m 54s
  • 16.7 miles
  • 21.83 mile/hr
Comments:

On the bike I felt like I was strong, yet wasn't pushing too hard. It was paced well, but I wonder if I wouldn't have been better off pushing more on the bike?

Maybe push harder and suffer more to see where that got me.
Transition 2
  • 00m 36s
Comments:

I came out of the water 19th? Then on the bike I remember passing 6? So I should have been in 13th...

My swim team buddy Wes started #4. On the bike course I passed him...got passed back...passed him again...got passed back getting my feet out of the shoes just before T2....He transitioned fast and was on the run before me.

Nothing.
Run
  • 19m 13s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

No water during the race at all btw...that's 'just right' in this race. I did pour water over my head for cooling however.

Coming out of T2 and down the hill I was chasing Wes and expecting the thing and fit and YOUNG kid to pull away. (by being with him I already had about a minute lead).

I found my legs surprisingly ready to run off the bike and didn't have the usual repiratory issues transitioning to the run...I let the downhill pull me while I relaxed and used very little energy and allowed my stride to lengthen.

Then I proceeded to follow Wes at the fastest pace I dared. I passed a guy right off the bat down the hill going out of T2 but then it was Wes and me and no one else in sight. There is a section of the race less than 1/2 mile in where you lap the inside of a stadium and therefore had over a quarter mile view and there was no one within a quarter mile of us.

I had no idea how many people were in front. As we ran we got closer and closer to the turn around in a part of the course with no real view ahead. Suddenly the race leader (my buddy Brad) can booking toward me in the lead. That's 1. Then the chaser, Rob came through. That's 2. Then as I saw Wes get to the turnaround I realized I was running in 4th position on the course. So where in the world did I pass the other 12 or more people???? TRANSITIONS!

With less than 1/2 mile left I caught and passed Wes. He said something to the effect that he was conceding defeat and I tried to build a gap. But youth....hasn't lost leg speed yet. And he passed me again before the finish continuing the leap-frogging we'd been doing since the bike.

And the rest of the people that beat me came in behind me having started behind me too.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Talked and walked. Drank water...got a cold towel..

About 45 minutes after the finish I joined my youngest son in the pool and I can't tell you how nice it is to take a dip in a pool after a race!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Well, this was a good race for me all around...but perhaps I had more than I dared think and could have pushed harder in the swim and bike?

Event comments:

Nice race. It's always done well for a small event. There was a big snafu this year though that has never happened at this race before.

A course volunteer misunderstood the directions. The out and back course went through the local stadium and this meant that we did 2 laps of the stadium total. She was telling runners to lap it twice on the way out and twice on the way back!
I don't know how many people did this, but none of us at the front did it.

It underscores the speech the USAT official gave us at the start...we must know the course and the race director is the only one that can tell us the course has changed...and beyond that we aren't to accept the word of ANYONE on the course, not even cops....

Last updated: 2012-06-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:03:53 | 200 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/13
Overall: 28/185
Performance: Average
Suit: tri top
Course: pool!
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:27
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:45:54 | 16.7 miles | 21.83 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/13
Overall: 4/185
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Hilly. Lots of climbing in the first few miles. Average pace kept plummeting! One farm road was very old and rough asphalt with lots of sharp turns
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:36
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:13 | 03.1 miles | 06m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/13
Overall: 8/185
Course: Right out of T2 it goes down hill through a grave yard on foot paths that wind and turn...lots of tight turns there and even some gravel path. Then the rest of the run is basically flat...so that curving twisting climb is at the end also (out and back)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-06-18 2:05 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Subject: Monster Triathlon

2012-06-18 3:45 PM
in reply to: #4267460

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Subject: RE: Monster Triathlon
Nice job!  That pool would have messed me up!
2012-06-18 7:02 PM

User image

Congratulations on a super race, Jeff! Glad you felt good and relaxed. Your times are amazing.
2012-06-18 7:18 PM

User image

NH
You are simply a beast.  When you get your mojo back, you get your mojo back.  Nice race all around.  It's great to see you back in the groove.
2012-06-18 8:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Huntertown, IN
Great race, Jeff!  I'm so glad you're back to your old self.
2012-06-19 6:53 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
GREAT race..the run time was insane...  GREAT job!

2012-06-19 6:58 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Smoking good race as usual!!  The run split is outstanding to say the least.  I would love to see a 6:112 split for any 5k much less after a swim and bike.

The swim sounds like it could have been pretty nerve racking not being able to see the end of the pool.  No lanes are one thing but no end markings could be devastating and even unsafe to those not paying attention.

As usual there isn't a lot that could be said about what things may have helped you race better.  You're just a complete animal!

2012-06-19 7:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Another great Race, Nice work Jeff
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Monster Triathlon Rss Feed