General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Taking breaks during the bike portion - similar benefit as walking some water stops on run?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-19 10:39 AM

Subject: Taking breaks during the bike portion - similar benefit as walking some water stops on run??

This idea just occurred to me this past weekend. I did a hilly 75 mile ride, followed by 4 mile run. At around mile 50 or so, I needed a bathroom break - rare for me as I usually don't need one.  I got back on the bike and felt better and refreshed (muscle, butt, ache wise - not referring to bladder). So after the ride I started thinking about the wisdom of maybe taking 2 short breaks during my IM Wisconsin in September, at miles 40 and 80 or so.

I know I benefit from some short walk breaks during marathons, so I am wondering if same logic applies to bike portion. I would give up some time, of course, but it could be worth it. Never thought of this before.

Some info - I am 53 years old, 1st IM. Just did Eagleman half in 6:07, which I was very happy with. Key for me in the IM will be to take it easy on the bike (16 MPH, slower??) so my legs are not cooked on the run - I had done that in 3 half irons prior to Eagleman.

I would be interested in what people think - thank you.

2012-06-19 11:38 AM
in reply to: #4269225

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, Wa
Subject: RE: Taking breaks during the bike portion - similar benefit as walking some water stops on run??
If it feels good go for it. I'd say a walk break during the run is closer to coasting down a hill on the bike than completely stopping. Chances are you will need a bathroom break durin g your race anyway.
2012-06-19 11:40 AM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Subject: RE: Taking breaks during the bike portion - similar benefit as walking some water stops on run??
For myself when I do my long bike sessions I like to stop around midway or a bit past for a quick coffee. Its a mental break for me as well as a carrot on a stick. On race day there I take the 112 without any stops.

On race day, after a taper, you won't be carrying around the fatigue that you had in training and probably find you don't need, or even want a break.

If you're using special needs bag this is an easy place to have a quick break if needed.
2012-06-19 8:03 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

I notice this effect as well.  I do make every effort to stop as little as possible in training so my body doesn't get used to it.  But, the inevitable potty break, map check stop, or stop at an intersection to wait for traffic still happens.

I shoot for one stop on the IM....I try to hit the bathroom at special needs so it's the only stop I make but it's "long" enough that I get that little boost.  I guess maybe if I was feeling bad I would think about another potty break near the end of the bike.  It's gonna happen in T2 or on the run anyway so it doesn't really matter when I hit the bathroom (unless you are really picky on how your splits look...I'll admit I've been vain enough to want to use the potty in T2 so neither my run or bike gets the few minutes added).

2012-06-19 9:02 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I stop in training as needed for fluid refills and bathroom breaks. Normally on IM bike I don't stop and it never is an issue that I stopped during training.

We triathletes tend to overthink things. I wouldn't plan on taking 2 breaks at your IM bike. Play it by ear. Training and racing are similar but also different. You will tapered and super fit to be ready to race.

Nice job at Eagleman!

2012-06-19 9:31 PM

User image

Elite
Play it by ear. If you feel you need it, do it. I think the 1-2 minutes in a 6+ he ride is no big deal and if it helps physically it may be worth it.

I do compare it to the walk/ run strategy. Even though many may not want to go into the race consciously thinking I'm taking breaks on the bike and walking the Mary but If your body dictates that go for it, you wouldn't be the first or last...good luck

2012-06-20 7:41 AM

Thanks for all the advice - helpful!
2012-06-20 9:17 AM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
What helps me on long rides and helps my body have a break on on some down hills I will stand up in the saddle and coast down the hill.  Just having the 30sec out of the saddle and stretching my legs really helps me.
2012-06-20 11:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah

I think Lava or Triathlete mag had an article on this exact topic about a year ago. Basically the suggestion was exactly that, take a 1min pedaling break regularly (they actually said at opportune moments, downside of a hill etc) but as close as possible to a regular interval. The idea was to either coast (as on a hill) or let your effort recover a bit at regular intervals to get the same set of benefits you get from run/walk.

I gave it a try during the Lake Stevens HIM last year and I found that with hills etc. regular intervals and "opportune moments" were impossible to manage. After about 10 miles or so I gave up and just rode. Coasting when it seemed appropriate, pedaling for the rest. It might be easier to do this on a relatively flat course, but I found that with any sort of hills, you naturally take breaks every so often anyway and don't really need to rely on any sort of regular interval pattern.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Taking breaks during the bike portion - similar benefit as walking some water stops on run?? Rss Feed