Lake Mills Triathlon
73F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 16s
Overall Rank = 111/669
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 22/53
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at four to drive out the Lake Mills. Checked out site the day before with the wife and kids and did a light OWS to get used to the wetsuit. Two waffles and some milk for breakfast, a few swigs o gatorade before race.
Event warmup:

A little light jogging.
Swim
  • 10m 40s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

Second tri so didnt want to do anything dumb. Well, I found myself in the middle of the pack at the start instead of starting out on the outside. Kicked and so on as expected but nothing major. Leaned a bit more on the sidestroke than I would have liked, but felt a lot more fresh than after my first tri last year. Threw in freestyle for a bit whenever I felt like it. HR was around 160 when I exited and the run from the beach to transition was about 60 yards. 40 seconds higher than expectations.
What would you do differently?:

Swim needs work and I need to do more OWS in training. If I ever want to compete in my AG there is no way I can have a weakness like this. Still, will cut some slack as this is second time and was a lot better than first one.
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

T1 better than first race but still much to be desired. Dicked around with socks (probably not necessary for sprints but need to work up to it) and more importantly Garmin. Gotta figure out a plan for that cuz I dont want to zap it in the water and it is a very useful tool.

Wear race number on jersey, replan how to get Garmin on, maybe go no socks for sprints. Could have had better awarness of where my stuff was too.
Bike
  • 41m 53s
  • 15 miles
  • 21.49 mile/hr
Comments:

Just about right where I figured I would roll in. I was hoping for sub 42 min here and just hit it. Obviously, would have liked to hit 22 but not really there yet ever in training. The elevated HR had me a bit cautious, but just raced my race. Was cautious on some corners as loose gravel on some of them. Was thinking about kamikazing some of the tools that were blatantly running pace lines on the way in while I was out from prior waves. Lame.

I lost track of my shifting at one point where I was spinning way too low a gear and for some reason forgot to shift and thought the chain was off. Duh. Probably cost me about 30 seconds (which would have gotten me under my 1:15 overall goal. Maybe go a little bit harder in some parts and not worry too hard about the HRM.
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

Happy with the time overall. Once again, knowing my rack would have been helpful as it cost a few seconds.

Just be better with knowing exactly which rack is mine, maybe visualizing the whole race from the start. Nice and quick though getting in and out.
Run
  • 19m 30s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I think 34ish was right. Was very pleased with the run and was about one minute faster than expected. 6:16 was first mile split so legs were rarin' to go off the bike. Kind of settled into a 6:20 pace. One thing I discovered after was that that Garmin display was showing avg pace and not current like I am used to. I couldnt figure out how in the hell I couldnt be running faster than what the clock was showing with my final kick.

No complaints, maybe switch the Garmin display.
Post race
Warm down:

Light stretching, ate breakfast burrito, oranges, banana and water. A beer and half a margo later on with some folks from Motion.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need to work at swim, specifically OWS confidence. I was shocked to see my HR so high after the swim but was able to maintain it. In training I generally run the same levels and it was good to see what I can sustain. Was 155 avg for the race.

Event comments:

Nice easy course. Good location and nice way to start off the season. No complaints really. Got to meet Pseudo Yams, PeterAK, some folks from my fitness club and a coworker who did it. Good time overall.

Last updated: 2006-05-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:40 | 440 yards | 02m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/53
Overall: 0/669
Performance: Average
Suit: Promotion full
Course: Rectangular counterclockwise.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:30
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:41:53 | 15 miles | 21.49 mile/hr
Overall: 0/669
Performance:
HR running around 150-160
Wind: Little
Course: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/episode/view.mb?episodePk.pkValue=870340 Times dont match up with garmin but cant recall when i hit the buttons and all that jazz. Rolling hills, narrow country roads and good amount of turns.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:46
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:30 | 03.11 miles | 06m 16s  min/mile
Overall: 34/669
Performance: Good
Course: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/episode/view.mb?episodePk.pkValue=870341 Once again, not sure when I hit buttons so going with chip time. Fast flat out and back on gravel.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-04 9:46 PM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
Subject: Lake Mills Triathlon

2006-06-05 8:00 AM
in reply to: #442875

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
Subject: RE: Lake Mills Triathlon

GREAT RACE Donkey!  You'll get better at some of that transition stuff...

Killer RUN!

2006-06-05 12:24 PM

User image

St. Louis, MO
Very nice race this weekend!  Keep working on that swim- it'll come along!
2006-06-07 1:04 PM

User image

Milwaukee, WI

Side stroke?  Come on man!  I'll teach you how to swim if you get me biking up over 20mph.  Haha.   Very good race though.  Congrats.

2006-06-07 1:09 PM
in reply to: #446296

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
Avshin - 2006-06-07 1:04 PM

Side stroke?  Come on man!  I'll teach you how to swim if you get me biking up over 20mph.  Haha.   Very good race though.  Congrats.

I already tried that.  He still can't swim and I still can't run a 5K in the 19 range like he can either.     So now, when we run together,  I just leave earlier and he runs me down like a lion chasing a prairie dog.

2006-06-09 4:41 PM

User image

Milwaukee, WI

Hehe, too funny.

2006-06-10 1:08 PM
in reply to: #449430

User image

Expert
WA
great job jszat!  seriously, i don 't know how you run so fast......and i'm amazed you did that swim pace with side stroke!  i guess side stroke is fueled by mule kicks, which are your specialty!   great race, keep it up!  this is your second, and as good as this one was, i'm sure each one will just get better and better.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Mills Triathlon Rss Feed