General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - Mistletoe SP (Swank!) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks - Mistletoe SP (Swank!) - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Appling, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 24m 1s
Overall Rank = 162/262
Age Group = 34
Age Group Rank = 10/19
Pre-race routine:

Okay, so this was my first tri and I was starting to get nervous on Thursday. Created my checklist and went through everything real quick. By Friday, I was really getting alittle frustrated, because it started raining, really raining with lightining. Why now?!?! It hadn't rained in like a month or more before this!!! Will they cancel?!? And of course to prove that everything doesn't go as planned... earlier in the week I was driving the passat and stopped for gas. When I tried to put the driver side window up, the window came off the track and luckily did not crack. I tried to fix it, but the more I messed with it the worse it got, so before you know it the window completely fell down into the door and would not come out. We took it to the car dealership, which had to order the part and would not be ready for Friday. So here I am, the night before my first tri with a car that had my bike rack set-up without a window and it's pouring down rain!!! I managed to tape garbage bags around the opening (getto!) and found a way to cram my bike into the celica (a three door)! By 9p I was really frazzled, took a bath to calm down and went to bed.
Got up at 4:30, ate a cliff bar and drank lots of poweraide on the way to MT. Was like the 5 person to arrive at MT at 5:45 (psycho!)
Event warmup:

Set-up the TA. Got water for the pan from the lake. I was able to find everything I needed very easily, so the pre-planning helped. Walked around and meet other BT'ers Harlem Dawg, runnergirl, bluejack, and brilliantjoy. RG brought the BT sign she made the night before which really helped bring everyone together.

Downed a gel around 7:30a
Took a 100y swim about 15m before the start of the race. Perfect temp.
Swim
  • 19m 41s
  • 656 yards
  • 02m / 100 yards
Comments:

I know this was not a wammy-dammy time, but my goal was to (1) fs the whole way, (2) stay relaxed and come out of the water not tired. I accomplished both of those goals in my first tri and I am going to be happy with that. Four months ago, I couldn't even swim a lap without gasping for air at the other end. I was able to fs the whole way and swam very straight (surprisingly). The sight swimming practice really paid off. When I came out of the water, I sprinted up the hill to the TA. Mission accomplished!
What would you do differently?:

At this point, nothing. Of course I want to swim faster, but this will come with more swim time. I may have been able to swim the course faster, but I don't know how/if it would have affected by bike/run times...
Transition 1
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

I was very relaxed after the swim and was able to sprint to the TA. I got to my bike and took a gel and almost gagged! -downed some drink to force it to stay down (i have no idea why that happened). Had a pan of water which helped to clean my feet, dried them off, put on socks, shoes, helmet, glasses, then ran out of the TA. Had to stop and mount the bike, nothing fancy...

This was the 3rd fastest T1 in my Novice group and would have been 14th of 27 in my age group. To improve, I need to practice no socks, jumping on the bike, and taking my gel on the bike.
Bike
  • 38m 48s
  • 11.6 miles
  • 17.94 mile/hr
Comments:

Once on the bike I was up to 20mph pretty quick. I really pushed it on the bike, but just had not put enough time into my workouts to sustain a 20mph pace. Since I was in the last wave and pretty slow on the swim, I was passing people constantly during the bike which was fun. I created this funny goal along the way to take down every mountain bike within sight, i think the total was 6 or 7. Took 4-5 good drinks along the ride, so I was happy with my hydration. Another plus was that I never got passed.

My two turns were aweful. Had to slow way down to make them. Need to put in more time in the saddle.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

I stopped my bike completely before the TA to clip out and dismount. Once in the TA, I got alittle disoriented and started going down the wrong asile. When I noticed it and tried to stop, I slipped and almost fell because I still had my shoes on. Finally racked the bike fine, removed the helment/glasses and put on my shoes and visor. Took another quick drink before I left.

9th fastest out of 19 in Novice group. Would have been 14th of 27 in age group. Need to ride on top of shoes before going into TA and run with the bike without shoes. Maybe not take that extra drink? I don't know, i have never been one that could run and drink.
Run
  • 22m 48s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

5th out of 19 in my Novice group. Would have been 10th of 27 in age group. I did exactly what I wanted during this run, bust a good pace right from the very beginning. It took a good 1/4 mile to get my legs from the bike and that steep hill in the first mile is just plain cruel! Anyway, I was very pleased, passing tons of people the whole way to the finish. Once again, never got passed.

Nothing on the run. I had a good solid pace the whole way and nothing left at the finish.
Post race
Warm down:

Passed through the finish, turned in my time chip and was greeted by family and friends! What a great feeling! Didn't really need any warm down, I was well prepared and felt great. I really felt like I raced my first tri very well and had a blast. The experience was better than I ever expected.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being in the Novice group. I really debated this one hard about two weeks before the race. I really felt well prepared but decided not to change. Although I didn't really mind racing in the Novice group, I think it hurt me not to be in my age group (1st wave). I think that I would have been pushed harder. By the time I hit the bike coming from the 4th wave Novice group which started 9 minutes behind the main race pack, there wasn't anyone to gauge myself against. MT will be my first and last Novice tri.

Event comments:

After the race, my wife and I met up with HD, his wife, and RG at Mellow Mushroom for a nice post race lunch.

Things to do:
(1) stay the course with swimming, start mixing in speed training
(2) more saddle time
(3) take my run pace to the next level (sub 7 tri pace)
(4) more trans practice

Last updated: 2006-04-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:41 | 656 yards | 02m / 100yards
Age Group: 14/19
Overall: 0/262
Performance: Good
Suit: No
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:39
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:38:48 | 11.6 miles | 17.94 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/19
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:48 | 03.1 miles | 07m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/19
Course: Starts uphill from TA. Dangerous downhill and steep uphill in first mile. Rest was pretty flat and easy.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-06-05 6:15 AM

User image

Regular
Newton, MA
Subject: Tri the Parks - Mistletoe SP (Swank!)

2006-06-05 7:22 AM
in reply to: #442976

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks - Mistletoe State Park
Sounds like it was a great experience! I hope my first race goes so well! I'm so glad the weather decided to cooperate, I'm sure the course was wet from all the rain Friday night. When is your next race?
2006-06-05 7:59 AM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Oh my gosh- I didn't realize how fast you ran on the run!  Ok- I really hate you now   Nice job- considering it was muddy and part trail run.  Way to get through the swim!  You did great on the bike!  With more you'll be hauling!  Wow- looks like you'll have a pretty good tri season ahead of you!  Congrats on finishing your firs tri!
2006-06-05 8:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Lexington, KY
Very nice race, especially the run!

I know what you mean about racing in the novice wave. Ft Yargo was my first tri, and I also went off with the novices in that one. The swim was harder because I caught up with a lot of the women from the previous wave, so it was like I was always in the middle of a crowd.

This time (Mistletoe) I went off in the first wave with my AG. It was SO much nicer. It also helped to have faster people around me to push me on. With a time that fast (especially that smoking run time), you are definitely ready to move to the AG.

Great race!
2006-06-05 8:50 AM
in reply to: #443047

User image

Regular
Newton, MA

AU I'm positive your going to have a great time.  Next race is another sprint - Indian Springs June 24th.  I thought about the FOF this weekend, but with so much left to do on the house, I couldn't see myself getting too greedy. 

And RG, I may be able to run a 5k, but in a longer race by mile 6+ you would be scraping me off the pavement!    Thanks again for being there to support the BT'ers!

2006-06-05 9:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Dothan, Alabama
Great report and race. You will definitely improve on the swim and bike by just putting in the time. As to the run, with your time including that first mile of hills, your pace will improve siginifcantly on your next race.

About the AG vs. novice, you've got a good point. I definitely was pushed a bit harder by starting with AG, mostly on the bike.

Good luck at Indian Springs. I would love to be there, but am on call that weekend and can't find a swap - at least not yet.

2006-06-05 12:31 PM

User image

Elite
Evans, GA
If you and I did a relay, we'd be in good shape. You can have my swim and I'll take your run! Nice job for your first race! It was a great pleasure meeting you and your wife. We can get some biking and running in the CSRA! Great race. I need to get you the TI stuff also. I'll PM you to get it to you.
2006-06-05 4:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Norcross, GA
Great job on your first tri!  You were smokin' on the run and the hills were deadly, too!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - Mistletoe SP (Swank!) Rss Feed