Warsaw Breakfast Optimist Club
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 29m 30s
Overall Rank = 236/480
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/35
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:45am after a poor nights sleep. I put on my tri suit and then dressed the kids. We packed up the car and drove to Warsaw. We arrived at about 6:30am. I checked in, got marked, set up my transition area. Dirk showed me a little bit of the course, included reviewing mounting and dismounting zones (it's been awhile for me!) I also ran into Brenda and talked with her a little bit. Lots of restrooms stops as usual. Lol.
Event warmup:

I did a .5 mile run warm-up to the car and back to get the baby's pacifier that we left. I played with Keira and Elliott a little bit on the playground.
Swim
  • 10m 17s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was really nervous about the swim. I haven't spent much time in the pool lately, so my goal here was just to make it through. I was getting kicked and pulled on a lot and ended up swallowing water. When I swam freestyle, I followed the rope on my right instead of using my usual bilateral breathing. I switched to breast stroke for part of the swim when I got nervous.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more :(
Transition 1
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

I couldn't get my left sock on easily. Maybe next time I will try it without socks. I also took a couple of extra seconds to wave and yell to my daughter, who was cheering from the sidelines.

I liked the tricks that Brenda showed me- put helmet on bike handles upside-down with sunglasses upside-down too. I think I'll continue to do that.

No socks?

I should maybe learn to do the flying mount too.
Bike
  • 44m 45s
  • 13.8 miles
  • 18.50 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt good on the bike. I didn't make any major mistakes.

Probably nothing.
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

I got everything done quickly. I put my race number belt on while running, like Brenda suggested. It worked well.

Get a quick drink.
Run
  • 32m 20s
  • 3.52 miles
  • 09m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew I was in trouble as soon as I started the run. My stomach cramped up right away and didn't let up the entire time. I got water at every water station to get something on my stomach. It would help for a very short period but not much. I'm proud that I kept running through it, but I hate how slow I was.

It made me smile when Keira yelled, "Run faster, Mommy" at the end.

Eat something small before the race. I'm sure I was out of fuel, which caused my cramping.
Post race
Warm down:

None really. I went and talked to my husband and kids. I ate a bunch too.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No breakfast. Also, I need to do more open water swim practices and more brick workouts.

Event comments:

Regardless of my race time, I had a lot of fun. It was a good race, and I hope to be able to do it again next year (and beat my time). At least I have a baseline now!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-06-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:17 | 440 yards | 02m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/35
Overall: 252/480
Performance: Below average
Suit: tri suit
Course: Out and back (around a boat)
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:12
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:44:45 | 13.8 miles | 18.50 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/35
Overall: 261/480
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Pretty much out and back. There was a little section at the end that added on some additional distance.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:20 | 03.52 miles | 09m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/35
Overall: 277/480
Performance: Bad
Course: An out and back course- 1 big uphill at about 2.75 miles and then a downhill following.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-06-23 2:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Huntertown, IN
Subject: Optimist Triathlon

2012-06-23 3:06 PM
in reply to: #4276778

User image

Subject: RE: Optimist Triathlon
I'm SO proud of you, Allison! You did fantastic as you worked your way through the course and encountered different issues. Congrats on not stopping when you cramped. No shame in doing the breathstroke too, to get you through the more stressful parts. You kept going. That made me smile that Keira yelled for you to run faster. Your kids are beautiful and only you could pull off looking so great in that two piece tri suit. Congratulations on putting your 2nd tri in the books. You were a couple minutes under the average time of all 480 participants so you did FANTASTIC for a newbie! Great job, my friend!
2012-06-23 7:35 PM

User image

Expert
MI
Way to keep pressing on!!  Congrats on another finish!
2012-06-23 9:21 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Allison congrats on a great finish. You did a great job and if you look at where you placed overall and in your AG I would never have guessed that was your second Tri. Awesome job and just think you are only going to get better.
2012-06-23 9:31 PM

User image

Bronze member
Congratulations on a great race today and it sounds like you learned a lot along the way!
2012-06-24 6:59 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Congrats.  U were fast!  GREAT job...  and take all the time U need to say hi and wave to ur children, that is the important stuff.

2012-06-24 3:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
For only your 2nd tri that is a great finishing Time!  Nice work.
2012-06-24 8:29 PM

User image

NH
Great effort.  Again you took what the day gave you and powered through the inevitable issues.  Super race, good job enjoying the event and especially having Keira there to cheer you on for the end.  This is a perfect example of what I was talking about in that you raced yourself and the fitness you brought to the race for this day and got the most out of it.  Winning race for you.
2012-06-25 9:01 AM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

You were smart on the swim, to switch to 1-sided breathing.  If you have a rope line to follow (or shoreline) then the value in being a bilateral breather is that you are free to use either side like that.  It's faster than lifting your head to sight. 

Another situation where you might to breath only to 1 side is if you are sighting off a swimmer to your side (let them look forward), or if someone is throwing waves in your face, then you would breath to the other side.

Oh, and one more time you'd want to; if it's windy and waves are coming in from the side.  Breathing in to the wind will probably have you taking in a mouth full of water, so breath to the down wind side.

And pretty much anybody would be put off by getting bumped, kicked and pulled.  And then to take in water when you wanted/needed air...well...I've had to roll on my back and recovery myself many times.  Don't worry about that.

And I wonder if the stomach issues might not have been from swallowing a big chunk of lake water?  Over the years I've talked to a lot of racers that puked or came close because they had lake water sitting in their stomach while they were running.

It's really cool that you made your kids part of your race day... 

2012-06-25 12:26 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

A great race Allison!  You did well in all aspects of the second race you have ever completed. 

The run  portion may have been a little disappointing to you but remember that you just hit a hard bike in the immediate minutes before running.  Don't expect to be able to run at a pace close to a stand alone 5k pace at a triathlon.  Given this fact I think you did quite well given the lack of fuel from no breakfast.

Another thing to remember is that a sprint race is or should be on the red line the whole race.  If you aren't suffering for the last couple of miles on the run your not racing.  Smile

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Optimist Triathlon Rss Feed