United States
Lake Mills Triathlon
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 17m 21s
Overall Rank = 146/669
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 27/53
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30, in the car at 5, had an "incident" which involved my (old) bike, a tree, and a shattered rear window on the car. What a way to start the day. Luckily the new bike was in the back of the car, rather than on the roof. Unloaded stuff from the car, loaded it into the truck, all while trying not to wake the neighbors with F bombs. Drank coffee and ate a bagel and banana on the way to Lake Mills, about an hour in the car.
Event warmup:

Due to the bike/tree/window incident, arrived about 20 minutes later than planned. Visited the porta-potty, set up transition, made sure I knew the traffic flow through transition, but didn't have time to survey the run finish. 50 yd swim to get the wet suit wet and feel the water a bit.
Swim
  • 08m 37s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

Crappy! Mainly because I didn't make it a priority to get myself together mentally before the start. It took me at least 100 yds to realize I wasn't counting strokes and spotting on a regular basis. Navigation was bad the whole time. Had to adjust to the buoys being on my left when I'm a right side breather and not proficient at breathing on both sides. On the bright side, on the last leg of the swim I convinced myself that once I reached the beach, it was a whole new race.
What would you do differently?:

I think I didn't go in with the same strategy that allowed me a great race at Wildflower--the lesson here is that in sprint distance is just as important to have a solid start strategy as the longer races. Should have reminded myself that I will control the swim, count strokes, control breathing, and spot regularly.
Transition 1
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

Followed my plan of get out of the water, and wait until I've got my land legs to start taking off the wet suit. Suit was stuck on my heels, could have benefitted from more body glide than I used. Generally good, but could have been faster with a better focus.

Mental prep before the race started would have helped me be better prepared.
Bike
  • 40m 17s
  • 15 miles
  • 22.34 mile/hr
Comments:

Loved racing on the new bike! Very busy bike coarse, lots of traffic, got stuck in groups a few times.

Could probably push a little harder. More time on the new bike will increase comfort level.
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

Decent T2. Girl in front of me almost fell getting off her bike, which made me hit the brakes just as I was about to swing my leg over.
Run
  • 25m 18s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt great! Nobody who finished ahead of me overall had a slower run. I need to focus on running faster! I tried to keep my cadence higher than usual, and I felt fresher than I expected. Overall a good run for me, but it is frustrating to get passed by so many people in my age group on this segment. I can sprint well, but I didn't start my sprint early enough as I didn't know exactly where the finish was. I got beat by one guy in my AG by two seconds--I remember seeing him fly by me. Very frustrating as I finished 27 out of 53 overall in my AG--meaning I was the mean time for my group, and two seconds would have pushed me over the edge to be the official top half of my AG--which is my goal for all races this season.
Post race
Warm down:

Swim a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of mental prep and focus, not enough time to survey the event site before start.

Event comments:

Main complaint: They started the novices first, and then when I thought we were starting in three minutes, we were told that it was going to be a 11-12 minute delay. Frustrating. This also meant that we were passing slow guys on mountain bikes for much of the bike--caused some congestion, passing, and drafting issues.

Otherwise, well run and very fun event. Definately interested in doing it again. Was great to hang out with JSzat, meet PseudoYams and Morey1.

Last updated: 2006-05-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:37 | 440 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/53
Overall: 0/669
Performance: Bad
Suit: Orca full
Course: Counter clockwise.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:55
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:40:17 | 15 miles | 22.34 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling, nice through rural wisconsin.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:25:18 | 03.11 miles | 08m 08s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Smooth gravel out and back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-05 11:05 AM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton
Subject: Lake Mills Triathlon

2006-06-05 11:23 AM
in reply to: #443439

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
Subject: RE: Lake Mills Triathlon

NICE RACE!!!

I keep thinking if I hang with jszat long enough I'll start running faster.  So far it seems to be working.  Maybe I can hang with you and swim and I'll swim faster

Great bike ride as well!  Don't ya just LOVE shifting on the bar ends...can work the gears without much thought.

Nice job getting over the stress of the broken window also.  That had to be a scene bright and early in the morning.  Where's the video camera when you need it... 

2006-06-05 12:03 PM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
Nice report/race and good to hang out with ya.  Next time I will have to stick a few beers in my transition bag for T3.  Keep me posted on the training stuff when you want to get together.
2006-06-05 2:49 PM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton
I would love to run with JSzat, but I think I'd lose sight of him in less than a mile! Both of you guys had great runs, ant it is definately my weak point. We all have our challenges, don't we! I think I'll run after work today.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Mills Triathlon Rss Feed