Streamline Events
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 45m 42s
Overall Rank = 731/801
Age Group = 30-35
Age Group Rank = 22/24
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 4:45. Ate oatmeal with chocolate chips and a glass of water.
Got to race site at 5:45 - biked to transition area, set up then chilled on the beach.
Ate 2 cups of applesauce, drank water.
6:45 jogged for 5 minutes, final check of tranistion area
7:00 took my time getting into wetsuit; swam for a few minutes
7:30 pre-race meeting
Swim
  • 12m 48s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

I got out in front and to the left side of the 100+ person women's novice swim wave. As soon as I hit the water, my instincts kicked in and I started doing breaststroke. I felt good in the open water, I got jostled a bit, but not hurt, and I got so excited I forgot about everything else and just focused on getting to the buoy. Once I turned the last corner to head into the beach, I switched to the crawl and the (very light) current and waves made me feel like I was flying to shore. I was pretty winded by the end of it and had trouble jogging up the beach.
What would you do differently?:

Practice salt water swimming, breathing, sighting. Trust the wetsuit and work with it instead of against it.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

This was fine. I was a little more winded than I expected to be, but jogged out just fine.

Get both of my shoes on correctly. The tongue slipped down and though it did not prove to be a problem, it was a slight annoyance for both the bike and run.
Bike
  • 49m 3s
  • 12 miles
  • 14.68 mile/hr
Comments:

Had the most fun on the bike. This place is so scenic, and it's just a really interesting course with rolling hills, fun corners and changing views. I was passed by a lot of people, but not as many as I expected. This was really fast for me.

Buy a road bike. Learn to ride it. Go fast. Also, eat and drink on the bike to prevent feeling woozy on the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

Trouble racking the bike. Didn't know if I was going over or under. Just wanted to ditch it and get out of there. Already had my number belt on, so I racked the bike and helmet and was off.

Grab my hat. Got burned on my forehead, even though I put sunscreen on pre-race.
Run
  • 40m 45s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 12m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt like I could have done better on the run, especially if I had kept up my running volume earlier this month. I walked a good chunk of this because I was plodding along so slowly that I knew I could power walk faster, and get my heart rate back down to a reasonable level. So I did that three or four times for about 2 minute intervals. It was frustrating, but the small hills were getting to me.
By this point in the day, it was 80 degrees, and I brought my water bottle with me.

Run more frequently in training. Start doing speed work.
Post race
Warm down:

paced near finish line. jumped in the water without wetsuit and bobbed out in the water for a bit.

Event comments:

Nutrition: I should have finished my water bottle on the bike. I was also really hungry this morning, and probably would have been fine to eat an extra granola bar.

This is a race I would love to do every year. I wasn't too nervous, and really had fun. My family was out to cheer me on, and I actually saw them and waved at each transition and finish line. I think this race will go a long way in boosting confidence at my other races this summer.

Last updated: 2012-06-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:48 | 440 yards | 02m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/24
Overall: 629/801
Performance: Good
Suit: Vortex 4
Course: Parallel to shore -- heading into slight current
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:49:03 | 12 miles | 14.68 mile/hr
Overall: 732/801
Performance:
Wind: None
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:40:45 | 03.2 miles | 12m 44s  min/mile
Overall: 746/801
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-06-24 5:41 PM

User image

Massachusetts
Subject: Cohasset Triathlon

2012-06-24 9:34 PM
in reply to: #4277822

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Cohasset Triathlon

Nice race Jen!  Two things to consider focusing on for the future:

* Don't worry about pacing on the bike.  Just go hard, and let the run sort itself out.

* Speed work on the run:  the best thing you can do for yourself (apart from just increasing volume, which of course takes time) is add in some 'strides', which means around 5 to 10 times (5 when you start, working up to 10) of going for 30s at around 5K pace.   Separate these efforts by enough easy running that you feel fully recovered.

Again -- great race!

2012-06-25 10:15 AM
in reply to: #4277822

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Cohasset Triathlon
Nice job out there! What a beautiful race venue. I hope to do this race again next year too.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cohasset Triathlon Rss Feed