Streamline Events, LLC
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 17s
Overall Rank = 422/800
Age Group = M45-44
Age Group Rank = 57/91
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5, breakfast of whole wheat toast w/ jelly and peanut butter. Drank some water, finished packing. Rode my bike down to the start since it was only 2 miles from my house. Arrived, picked up my chip. Set up transition, walked around and checked out the various vendors, etc.
Event warmup:

did a bit of swimming. Ocean swim, and the water was rolling waves, but no white caps, etc. Water wasn't as cold as advertised, but I'm not saying I'd take a bath in it.
Swim
  • 08m 54s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

Start was a run from the beach to the water. Did fine there, but got a full mouth of seawater on my first stroke. Stopped, stood up and took another breath than back in swimming. Water was rolling, but not too awful. Felt like I wasn't swimming well, and there was lots of contact. Guess having 100 people in my wave on a short course will do that. Navigation was better than last week, and I found some feet to follow at one point. Passed a bunch of people, but never felt like I was really killing it on this swim. Rounded last bouy, headed toward the beach. Touched sand, stood up and ran up the beach to transition. Turns out I did better than I thought, with my swim putting me in the top 13% of all racers. That was a nice surprise. Felt I could have done better, no doubt.

As an aside, I wanted to congratulate my 16 year old niece who also competed yesterday, and put up the 4th best overall swim split, and the #1 swim split for all female competitors. Yes, she beat *every* female in the swim, and all but 3 guys. I think she has gills :)
What would you do differently?:

work on navigation; have a better attitude. Not swallow 1/2 gallon on sea water at the start.
Transition 1
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

Seemed to go well. Suit off easily. wiped sand off feet, helmet/glasses on, grab bike and off we go. Was able to run w/ bike while holding by the seat. Worked out well. Long run out of transition to mount line.

Nothing. Maybe be a bit quicker.
Bike
  • 38m 24s
  • 12 miles
  • 18.75 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt good on the bike, but didn't go as hard as I wanted to, and thats part of the mental battle I'm having. Passed a bunch of folks, and was passed as well. Seemed to be over quick, but I need to ride this harder. One thing that sucked was losing my seat bag somewhere. Fell off after I hit a bump, and I lost the bag, and all my flat kit stuff - tubes, levers, co2, inflator, patch kit....Grrrr. Went back and looked later, but nothing found. Crap. Need to drink more, too.

Roads were a mix of wet & dry. Big thunderstorms had gone through the night before, and some sections of road were still wet & had leaves/sticks strewn about.

Ride harder. I certainly have the fitness to put up a better number than 38 min for 12 miles. Frustrating & disappointing.
Transition 2
  • 02m 23s
Comments:

Don't know why this took so long.

hurry up?
Run
  • 33m 54s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 10m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where the wheels really came off the wagon for me. I'd been having a bad attitude all day on the course, and this wasn't going to help. No real bike legs feeling, but I was just slowly jogging. I felt OK, but this ridiculous mental block about going out and actually running is frustrating. This was the single worst 5k run I've ever done. Ever. I had a right calf cramp 1/4 mile in which needed a stop & stretch. Would crop up again about mile 2. I shuffled along at a snails pace, and walked up a couple hills. It became a joke really. Ran the last mile to the finish. whoo-hooo..bfd.

Actually try and not just suck? Wish I could say I'm being hard on myself, but I'm not. I'm selecting "bad" for overall run because there is nothing lower available on the drop down list.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a water, some food, found some shade. Hung out for a bit, then packed up and rode home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I don't understand how last week at my HIM I went out and had a great swim, and rode 35 miles (until my crash) feeling SO freakin' awesome, positive, and fired up, and then come to this a week later and just lay down a turd-burger of a race that was the antithisis of everything the prior week. I don't get it.

Event comments:

This is a good race, in a beautiful spot. Both bike & run go along the ocean and have spectacular views. Gary Hall, Jr competed (and has for past 3 years), The Hoyts were there, our US Senator Scott Brown competed, and overall a good crowd.

One thing which mucked up the timing was giving out the timing chips race morning. Line backed up, and the event started 20 minutes late.

Last updated: 2012-01-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:54 | 440 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/91
Overall: 113/800
Performance: Good
Suit: Vortex full sleeve
Course: rectangle; counterclockwise course
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:45
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:38:24 | 12 miles | 18.75 mile/hr
Overall: 313/800
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: single 12 mile loop.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:23
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:33:54 | 03.2 miles | 10m 35s  min/mile
Overall: 639/800
Performance: Bad
Course: single 3.2 mile loop
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-06-25 7:39 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Subject: Cohasset Triathlon

2012-06-25 8:09 AM
in reply to: #4278412

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Subject: RE: Cohasset Triathlon
Hey Mike - there are just days that are not your day...I think it is great that you were able to race after the Patriot, and you had a good swim. Mentally, I wouldn't be surprised if you had a block after the Patriot. Give yourself some time. (Shoot - you've got until Timberman - right?). I'm glad you got out there this weekend.
2012-06-25 10:11 AM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Awesome swim Mike! Sorry you weren't feeling it in the bike and run. Maybe we should have gone out for beers Saturday night to load up with more carbs :-). Anyway, great meeting you. Hopefully we can race together again someday. You need to work on Mary Fran and Jon to sign up next year :-).
2012-06-25 10:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Hey, the numbers look great.  But I get it that you just werent "feeling it".  Hate Hate Hate when that happens.  And what really sucks is that you lost your bike bag! That really would have put me in a mood!  Back to the LBC you go...!   YOure doing great with your training etc.  Keep it up!!  
2012-06-25 12:44 PM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

Happens to the best of us!! Shake it off and go get the next one!!!

Nice job anyway!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cohasset Triathlon Rss Feed