General Discussion Race Reports! » Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
United States
RecPlex
73F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 30m 34s
Overall Rank = 288/659
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 47/69
Pre-race routine:

We got to the race site around 5:15am, we had racked our bikes the night before since racking was bib assigned, and I had the chance to get a good spot for the race. Set up up my transition area in the morning, did a double and triple check of everything and mentally went through my transitions to make sure I was arranged properly, then went off to stretch and meditate before the race.
Event warmup:

Stretched and chatted with the fiancee who was starting the wave after myself.
Swim
  • 28m 32s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was in wave 4 (Fiancee in wave 5... 3 minutes behind me), I eventually moved into the middle of my group for the running beach start. After the gun went off and ran into the water, kinda had a slow start as everyone was jockeying for position, trying not to get kicked or punched, I was finally able to put my head down and swim after about 50 meters. The water was fantastic... about 74 degrees, calm and somewhat clear. I tucked in behind a guy and drafted him for a while and maintained a good smooth swim stroke that was comfortable and not over exerting myself... wasn't quite sure what kind of pace I was going at, but I was comfortable. The first turn buoy seemed like it took forever to get to, but finally made it and made a good swim pace turn without hesitation and proceeded out toward the second turn buoy. The second length was nice... the field had stretched out a bit, so there was no fighting for position and I picked up the pace a little. I noticed that I was passing a few swimmers from my wave and then some from the wave before me. Finally made it to the second turn buoy, rounded that just fine and pressed on to the finish... I didn't have any issues with sighting, just peaked ahead quickly every 10 strokes or so to make sure I was still going straight. I got passed by a girl that started in wave 6, she passed me like I was standing still, if only I could learn to swim like that. I knew that the fiancee was going to catch up to me at any moment (she was a D1 swimmer, and sure enough with about 200m left there she was, on my left... so I picked up my pace even more and finished the swim with her. As Jen and I crossed the timing mat side by side with the fiancee, I slapped her on the butt and passed her on route to the rack.
What would you do differently?:

Not much... as this was my first Oly, I just wanted to pace myself comfortably and see how the rest of the day went. I now know that I can pace quicker in the swim without hurting the rest of the race.
Transition 1
  • 02m 7s
Comments:

T1 was not too bad... by the time I got to my rack, my wetsuit was down to my waste and I promptly stripped it off. Took a drink of water, put on my bike shoes, helmet and watch. Unfortunately the rack height was a little low for my seat height, so I had to remove the bike at an angle to clear the bar... not much I could do about that

Nothing beside learn to jump on the bike with the shoes attached.
Bike
  • 1h 00m 1s
  • 21.5 miles
  • 21.49 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike course had been changed from the original course due to road construction, so the international distance biked the sprint course twice, therefore the course distance was shortened to about 21.5 miles. I took off on the bike, with very little traffic and started at a higher cadence pace to warm up the legs without killing them. Right away on the bike you had two overpasses to go over, with the second overpass taking you into a right hand turn at the base, so you couldn't even take advantage of the downhill. Right away on the bike, I was passing others while maintaining moderate effort. My strategy for the bike was to bike at 70% effort and save the legs for the 10k run afterwards, so I had to constantly remind myself not to mash or push the bike too hard, especially on the first loop. The remainder of the bike course is fairly flat with steady uphills and shorter and quicker downhills, although quite a bit of turning for such a short loop. The many turns was a bit of an advantage for me, with my car racing background, I was able to apply my braking and apex techniques to the ride and make up good time on everyone else. The second loop became more interesting as the tail end of the International bikers and the first few waves of the sprinters were now on the course, I had to think several moves ahead to navigate the traffic. Not quite sure what got into me, but I ended up doing my first flying dismount. I stuck the landing! I had a big smile on my face after doing it because I felt Pro, plus I didn't face plant it.

Saved too much on the bike for the run, will try to push a little harder next time on the bike.

It was a fun bike ride.
Transition 2
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

T2 was uneventful... Racked the bike, took another drink of water, put on the shoes, grabbed my belt and visor then headed to run out.
Run
  • 58m 16s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

The beginning of the run was not too bad... I had a weird muscle pulling sensation in my left buttock, but the legs felt good, I was hydrated. In looking back at my run portion of the race, I determined that I started the run at a faster pace that I should have done... I ended up walking a little after 2 miles to lower the HR and relax the legs, ran to the 3 mile mark, walked a little and ran to the 4 mile mark... At this point, I had taken water at mile 1, 2 and 4. Shortly after running again at the 4 mile mark... side cramp time! and this one hurt. I focused on my breathing pattern, mixing in more walking to help get rid of the side cramp... It just didn't want to go away, and it hurt to run as a result. Finally with about 3/4 mile left to go, the side cramp was gone and I took off for the finish... running at a 8:00/mile pace to finish line. There was no doubt that the side cramp hurt my overall run time and performance... not really sure what did it to me, but I am guessing it was the water earlier on in the run. I hadn't run anything longer than 5 miles, so doing 6.2 miles was new to me.

Not really much of a surprise... I am not a runner, never was, never will be. However, my run has improved quite a bit from last year. Just need to HTFU, put in more miles and faster pace. Will try to improve for next time.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water, gatorade and banana then relaxed waiting for the fiancee to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I can't complain about where I am at currently at the physical level... I have improved so much from a year ago, losing almost 90 lbs. Each race is my current challenge that I strive to improve upon. I will continue to get better physically fit to perform at a higher level, but right now I am still the Clyde racing with the little guys and having fun doing so.

Event comments:

I really liked this race... It was well organized, the course was good and we couldn't have asked for better weather. I will definitely be back again.

Last updated: 2012-06-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:32 | 1640 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/69
Overall: 0/659
Performance: Average
Suit: ORCA S3 Sleeveless
Course: Beach start triangle swim
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:07
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:00:01 | 21.5 miles | 21.49 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: Double loop
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:40
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:58:16 | 06.21 miles | 09m 23s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Zig zagged through Pleasant Prairie and through the Rec Plex grounds
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-06-25 2:19 PM

User image

Subject: Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Course

2012-06-25 2:24 PM
in reply to: #4279444

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
Subject: RE: Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Course
Nice race! Congrats on finishing.
2012-06-25 2:55 PM
in reply to: #4279458

User image

Subject: RE: Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Course

Congrats to you as well... Couldn't have asked for a nicer day for a triathlon.

I decided to sign up for the Lake Zurich Tri in two weeks for my second Oly.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Course Rss Feed