United States
Streamline Events
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 41s
Overall Rank = 298/800
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 22/55
Pre-race routine:

Tried to keep the same pattern as I did for Escape: Woke up Sunday morning at 4:30 had a English Muffin with peanut butter at 5:00 am, and a mini-Cliff bar at about 6:45. Took a gel with me to have at about 7:45, but I forgot it in transition when we had to exit for the race meeting. The race meeting and getting ready for my wave to start took about 45 minutes to an hour. Standing around in a wetsuit on the beach really sucked- it was hot and I was sweating. In retrospect, it would have been smart to take a bottle of water or something down to the beach with me to sip on while I waited for the race to start.
Event warmup:

Rode 1.5 miles to transition from the parking lot, didn't really due a warm-up. I should have at least gotten in the water for a bit of swim warm-up.
Swim
  • 10m 59s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

My weakest event. I started to towards the back of the swim wave and had to maneuver around a few people. The first turn was about 50 yards into the water, which made the swim very congested. I spent most of the time in a solid pack of people and we would occasionally stack up. The swim ended ended and we had a run up the beach into transition which is included in the above. I had a tough time when I got out of the water. My HR was pounding (it was at 180 went I got on the bike about 3 minutes later, so I hate to think how high it was out of the water) and I had trouble running into transition (walked about half way). Also, a PSA just so everyone knows- salt water tastes bad. Overall, not a bad swim for me,
What would you do differently?:

I need to work on getting the HR down so out of the water is easier. Also, start a little more towards the middle. I am not the slowest, but getting around the slower swimmers is tough.
Transition 1
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

1:48 may be my best T1 time yet. I got out of my wetsuit easily which never happens in practice, my helmet and shoes on and out the gate without any issues.

Need to work on running with the bike faster, getting my shoes on while on the bike.
Bike
  • 37m 50s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.03 mile/hr
Comments:

My best event- I passed a lot of people and only got passed by a few. Still, I was disappointed here. I was supposed to kill this, and I feel like I didn't. It took me the first three miles before I felt like my HR was under control and I could breath again, and I was at about mile 6 before I felt like I could really get going. By that point the course was half over. I never felt like I had that extra gear (this is on me for shirking the bike the last few weeks). My second six miles was faster than the first.

Ride more; ride harder. Follow my workouts closer. I also need to work on the swim to bike transition. I feel like this gives me some problems.
Transition 2
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

This was about average for me. No issues.

Need to practice the dismount with shoes staying on the bike.
Run
  • 27m 39s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 08m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

I gave it what I had, then tried to kick it up another gear the last mile. I came out of transition and ran the first mile around an 8 minute mile. It was hot, a lot of the run was in the direct sun, I was disappointed after the bike, and I took this first mile a bit easier than I should have. For me, the first mile seems to dictate the run. The second mile was slower at about 8:15, but I started to recover a bit and pass a few people. The third mile was my slowest at around 9 minutes or so, but everyone else was dropping off even more. Ended up picking up 2 spots in my age group in the last mile. The race course rocked- families handing out water from their driveways, kids with water hoses to spray the runners.

1) Forget the bike portion and run the run; 2) Race the first mile harder- for me the first mile seems to dictate the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much of one

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Slacking it the last few weeks. I was using this as more of a kickstart for the next few weeks and Mass State in mid July.

Event comments:

This was one of my favorite races yet. The venue was terrific, the crowds were great. An overall good experience. I'll put this on my list in future years.

Last updated: 2012-01-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:59 | 440 yards | 02m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/55
Overall: 419/800
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Counter clockwise- a short swim out, then a quick left turn, a longer swim parallel to shore, then a quick left turn and a swim back in. The time includes the run from the beach back to transition.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:48
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:50 | 12 miles | 19.03 mile/hr
Overall: 277/800
According to the Garmin, I logged about 19.4 mph vs 19.5 at Escape over a longer course (11.7 mi Cohasset vs 9.85 Escape), my cadence improved (84 vs 82); I had a higher HR (175 avg vs 170 at Escape), and this course was a little hillier; it was at least 20+ degrees hotter and the sun was out (instead of poring down rain)
Wind: None
Course: A little hillier than I expected. Has to drop into the small ring 2 or 3 times.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 84
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:27
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:39 | 03.2 miles | 08m 38s  min/mile
Overall: 339/800
According to the Garmin- 3.3 mi at a 8:21 pace. HR was a solid 179
Course: Again, a little hillier than I had thought. Portions in the sun, portion in the shade.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes