Blue Hills Adventures/Flint Hills Red Cross
74F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 26m 9s
Overall Rank = 84/106
Age Group = 40-45
Age Group Rank = 7/10
Pre-race routine:

Long delay worked to my advantage mostly, as we were camped nearby and got time for coffee and prep, but I did get HUNGRY by the 10 AM start of the 8:30 race.
Event warmup:

None really. Not sure when it would start and wimped about a water warm-up. In hindsight, it would have helped the shock of the cold water.
Swim
  • 12m 13s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

Cold water, and I couldn't get my breath at first. Took my breath away putting my face in to breath, even doing some breast stroke at first. Next time just be prepared to do that at first. Crawl came along okay later, but the OWS made me want to switch to breast stroke to see, so I did off an on.
What would you do differently?:

Get in water beforehand to prepare for the cold temp. Also, estimate speed and go in that way - I'd registered first for open heat and switched and they put me at the start of the swim!
Transition 1
  • 04m 39s
Comments:

Didn't try hard enough to hurry. Still taking it easy not to get overwhelmed. Would take the darned GPS/watch and get it going right then. THAT is worth a few seconds.

Don't stuff that remainder of a Cliff bar and then try to start. Take food on the bike and munch it there. It was a bit much to get going. Sticky and hard to breath with food in my mouth.
Bike
  • 38m 21s
  • 9.94 miles
  • 15.55 mile/hr
Comments:

Slowed dramatically by chain falling off at the top of Dead Dog Hill, and again when I dropped a gel right before turn around and stopped to pick it up.

Really, I'd do better trying to race it a bit, and with a few less of that sort of problem.

Areobars v. Clipless? What is next? I've got cages already.
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

Not trying to go fast enough. Moderately hard is a tough speed.
Run
  • 29m 32s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt really slow at first, feeling like I'd have to consider walking, but didn't want to. Still, others going past like I am standing still! Watched my HR not to get too high.

Walked a few steps through turn around water and felt much better after.

Push it some more. Could have walked through transition and then run, and would have had faster average, I think.

More bricks, since the first mile and a half is where I was worst.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, and ran/walked back to Lisa feeling great for having moved some more. Then, juice and pizza.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Didn't push myself enough. Need to work on running some more. Perhaps less tapering.

Event comments:

Great race - the only setback was a delay, partly because of rain, and the difficulty setting bouys in the lightnening. Dead dog hill is perhaps not necessary for the route. More moderatley spaced hills would be nice.

Good racers - seemed a stronger fieled than North Platte.

Last updated: 2006-02-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:13 | 547 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 71/106
Performance: Below average
Suit: None
Course: Out perhaps 200 meters, to the right 100 meters, and back 200 meters. Seemed a bit longer than that, really. Bouys okay, but got tangled in the ropes some.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:39
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:38:21 | 9.94 miles | 15.55 mile/hr
Overall: 79/106
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Dead dog hill for first mile and then a bit, and then flat out and back. That is a huge hill.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:32 | 03.11 miles | 09m 30s  min/mile
Overall: 90/106
Course: Out and back, flat in the park. Nice run, but less shade than I'd have expected in a treed park!
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-06 6:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Nebraska
Subject: Flint Hills Triathlon

2006-06-06 10:36 PM
in reply to: #445444

User image

Veteran
Kansas
Subject: RE: Flint Hills Triathlon
Nice race despite your problems.

I'd really have to agree on getting used to the water, & I think my 6am meal was gone by race start.
2006-06-06 10:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Kansas
Did you run into my daughter? She was 155 in the Javelin suit, and she placed right behind you.

She mentioned somebody having a bike problem.
2006-06-07 5:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Nebraska
Well, I saw two guys with bike problems - flats. I lost my chain at the top of Dead Dog hill, right at the turn onto the highway. I probably exaggerated losing a lot of time though - I can't blame it too much for my "speed"

I'm sure I'd recognize your daughter - I was probably pretty blurry eyed at that point, but it's kinda funny how I look at pictures of the race now on BT and recognize folks.

Next year there should be a BT get together. My wife is asking what races folks are doing this year. Tinman? I'm not sure I could convince her to go to that, but you never know. . .
2006-06-08 11:01 AM

User image

Expert
Earth

Good race, chain problems on hills are such a pain.  My tandem does that, when shifting down or up it will sometimes drop the chain.  I have not tried yet but sometimes you can pick it back up by shifting into a higher gear.

That cold water is a shocker, man first tri this year the water temp was 65 degrees.  I thought I was doing great, but the water was so cold...

2006-06-08 4:23 PM
in reply to: #447490

User image

Veteran
Nebraska
Thanks Scott. Hey, I checked out your logs and such, and I wanted to comment about your short term running speed goals and how you have that organized for speed and distance. Nicely done. Maybe I need to consider copying that. Hmmmm.

Kevin

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Flint Hills Triathlon Rss Feed