TBF Racing
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 36m 34s
Overall Rank = 95/305
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 15/24
Pre-race routine:

Camped at the park the night before. Unfortunately for me there were other campers who ignored the posted quiet hours and partied (along with loud music) until after 2 am. No park security seemed to be onsite to enforce the rules and I wasn't up to walking into a group of 15 or more and trying to get them to quiet down so I didn't get much sleep until after 2. Woke up a bit after 5:30 and had some Sunbutter, a banana, and some water. Put on my tri clothes and walked the bike over to sign up just after 6:30. Found an empty rack and set up my transition in a good spot at the end of a rack.
Event warmup:

Kissed my wife who was not racing the event and then went down into the water 8 or 9 minutes before my wave start. Swam easy back and forth and just tried to relax. Once the wave before mine left I swam/waded over to the swim start.
Swim
  • 14m 56s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

Since I wasn't able to get into a steady rhythm in my first 2 races this year I wanted to really focus on getting that steady rhythm from the start. I started pretty wide left (the turns are to the right on this course) and in the back. I floated on my back and relaxed for quite a while until they were about to start, then just before the 10 second countdown I gave my wife (who was videoing the start) a thumbs up and off we went. -- The plan went almost perfect. After a bit of a false start since one guy started swimming off course right in front of me I got right into a rhythm and stayed there. Bilateral breathing and sighting after every 3rd or 4th breath. Once I rounded the first buoy I took a quick look behind and I was ahead of about 1/3 of the group. A few times I switched to breathing just on my left side and about every fourth breath I would switch to breathing right side and sight right after the breath. I did have a tendency to to drift left a bit, but I was able to correct well after sighting. I swam until my fingers dug into the bottom and then pulled myself forward a few more strokes before standing and running up towards transition.
What would you do differently?:

I'm not sure I'd do anything different. This was the best open water swim I've had so far. When my wife called out 14:56 I was very happy. I was just a hair faster than last month but feeling so much better than last time.
Transition 1
  • 02m 37s
Comments:

Ran up into transition and walked from the top of the hill to my spot. Pulled the suit off and dried my feet with the corners of my towel. Helmet, glasses, socks, shoes, and bike gloves all on. Grabbed the bike and ran for the bike mount line.

Bring an extra towel next time to make drying my feet easier.
Bike
  • 50m 16s
  • 16 miles
  • 19.10 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was fantastic. Smooth gear changes. I actually spent quite a bit of time on the larger chain ring and still maintained above 90 cadence during parts of the ride.
At the turnaround I checked my average speed and I was at 19.0 mph I swallowed down a vanilla bean Gu pack just after the turnaround.

Nothing. This bike leg was faster than I expected and I'm really excited about the progress.
Transition 2
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

My transition spot was a little far from bike finish and run start so this time reflected the longer run through transition. I took some extra time to put on my patellar tendon support strap. I had a little trouble getting my GPS watch onto the right screen and that took a few extra seconds before I was off and running. Besides those things everything else was smooth.

I'm not sure. If I got there earlier I suppose I could get a transition spot a bit closer to the bike finish and run
Run
  • 26m 59s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

There is a mental barrier that I was not able to break here. I know my legs can take me faster than I am going, but I can't seem to get my mind to force the issue. I felt similar to last race. I walked the two aide stations to drink a little water and pour some of it onto my chest to help cool off.
My heart rate stayed in the 165-170 range and I know I could have taken it further for so short a distance.

Still need to figure out how to make my legs do the work that I know they can faster. I hope I can get past that barrier before my next race.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water and walked over to where my wife had been cheering me on approaching the finish. A little more walking and then grabbed some of the fruit/cookie food at the food canopies.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

That mental barrier on the run is holding me back. I think I need to do some brick workouts to try and get past that point and be able to kick the run into the next gear. Other than that I am extremely happy with the results of this race.

Event comments:

I have really enjoyed the 4 TBF events I have done. Everyone is very friendly and the volunteers are awesome at each race. I hope next year to do some races held by other organizers just for the different venues, but it would be hard to imagine better run events than these.

Last updated: 2012-06-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:56 | 880 yards | 01m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/24
Overall: 0/305
Performance: Good
Suit: Synergy Adrenaline
Course: wading/treading water start next to the swim beach area. Straight out from shore towards an orange sighting buoy then on to a white triangular buoy. Right turn and follow another long leg past another orange sighting buoy to the last white triangle buoy. Right turn then straight on in to shore near the swim finish arch.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:37
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:50:16 | 16 miles | 19.10 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back along the park road and then onto hwy 104. A little vehicle traffic, but the drivers were careful as they passed. CHP monitored for safety. Roads in the park were ok, a little rougher than I remembered from last year. Several speed bumps to cross. Areas with many small round pavement markers near pedestrian areas in the park also. Once onto hwy 104 the pavement is more rough, but very few potholes. Some low rolling hills but no big climbs. Turnaround is very tight in the middle of the roadway, but well manned by volunteers warning riders in advance.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:59 | 03 miles | 08m 59s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back course. Starts flat across grass in the park and then out onto a local dirt fire road / fire break. Several rolling hills. These are a bit steeper than those on the bike portion. A lot of rocks if you get outside the "wheel" tracks. Aide station just after leaving transition and another near the 1 mile mark (2 mile mark on the return)
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-07-08 9:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA
Subject: TRI for FUN Triathlon #2

2012-07-09 4:39 AM
in reply to: #4300451

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: TRI for FUN Triathlon #2

Nice race!  It looks like your swim plan went quite well.  Setting the rhythm before trying to nail a pace down seems to help get me into the right pace range for my fitness.  And swimming a 1:42 pace is pretty smoking good!

As you suggested in the report, I would get those bricks in.  This will definitely help the mental aspect of the bike to run pain and the feeling in your legs that you have to get used to.  Running a mentally challenging race is about knowing you can walk if you have to BUT waiting until you HAVE TO and not because your body wants to.  This is really a hard concept to communicate. 

I think it looks like a great race and you deserve some congratulations!

2012-07-09 5:50 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
GREAT race!  Way to kill the swim, I'm so envious! 
2012-07-09 6:36 AM

User image

Bronze member

Great job out there Jonny. Congratulations on hitting that cycling goal!

And I like the new pic .

2012-07-09 9:11 AM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Good swim.  Not only because it was pretty fast, but mostly because you came out so fresh and were able to put that to use later.

Sorry you are disappointed by the run.  How does that pace compare to your open 5k time?  I ask because when you describe yourself as having a mental issue keeping you from running faster, it sounds to me like the Central Governor is kicking in to limit you.  The Central Nervous System will stop you and it does this by either sapping your will or sapping your strength (not sure of the mechanism), but it does this usually in response to an elevated core temperature. 

For those late night partiers, I suggest this.....300 decibals of Black Sabbath over a huge amp when you wake up at 5:30!

2012-07-09 9:49 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Vero congrats on a great race. You did a really nice job with the swim and the bike. I think your run time is pretty good as well. You are continuing to improve and I am sure that you'll keep working to improve on the run.

2012-07-09 10:02 AM
in reply to: #4300953

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA
JeffY - 2012-07-09 7:11 AM

Good swim.  Not only because it was pretty fast, but mostly because you came out so fresh and were able to put that to use later.

Sorry you are disappointed by the run.  How does that pace compare to your open 5k time?  I ask because when you describe yourself as having a mental issue keeping you from running faster, it sounds to me like the Central Governor is kicking in to limit you.  The Central Nervous System will stop you and it does this by either sapping your will or sapping your strength (not sure of the mechanism), but it does this usually in response to an elevated core temperature. 

For those late night partiers, I suggest this.....300 decibals of Black Sabbath over a huge amp when you wake up at 5:30!

I haven't done a 5k in a while, my last one was in December and I did it in 24:02 - 7:45/mi and I did a 3 mile race in March in 23:04 - 7:41/mi.

I think I have more in me than the 9:00/mi pace I did the race in, but I can't seem to force the issue mentally.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TRI for FUN Triathlon #2 Rss Feed