United States
79F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 12s
Overall Rank = 135/188
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 27/30
Pre-race routine:

Registered, then walked back to the bike to pump up tires and gather gear for set up. Set up in transition area, chatted with friends, checked out and did mental run through of T1. Warm up swim out to last two buoys and back with a couple of friends. Was surprised when the both swam either side of me - hadn't had that experience before and was getting a little worried about the swim. After more chatting and such, we were called over to the beach area for the pre-race pep talk and start. Had a Chocolate w/caffeine gu (apparently not all of it) and headed to the start.
Event warmup:

Swam a variety of strokes - breast stroke, front crawl, back crawl, front glide and kick to warm up.
Swim
  • 10m 39s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

Being it's my first tri my goal was to survive the swim and not drown (because I drowned as a kid and it wasn't pleasant). I decided to take a leisurely, relaxed pace with no regard to time. I started at the very back of the pack and wide opposite the buoys. I knew this would increase the distance but I didn't want to get swum over or bashed about too much. I was surprised by how calm I was, even with people swimming around me and getting hit and kicked and not being able to pass. (Yes, I couldn't believe there was a point where I could pass someone.) For a while I was alone, and then the next wave caught up...and passed me. Did fairly good job of sighting, I thought. Tendency to pull towards the side that I am breathing on. Breathed mostly on the right, but when the sun came out of the clouds, I breathed on the left. Breathed every other stroke which kept the heartrate down. Came out of the swim feeling good. No dizziness, no racing heart rate, no nausea, no drowning!!
What would you do differently?:

Didn't push the pace at all in the swim, in fact, I probably swim faster in the pool during training. Next time, with more experience, I would start at the back but not the very back, and push the pace a little bit more, knowing I can distance.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

No separate timing for T1, so I don't know how long it took. Came out of the water pulling my goggles and cap off and jogging towards bike. Rinsed feet in my silicone bread pan (perfect size, and safe and soft), stepped on towel and tried to roll on the socks...but didn't orient them the right way. Rolled it on with the heel on top of the foot, had to reroll and put it back on again. Same with second sock. Top got stuck on my upper back and I laughed while trying to pull it down over my wet back. Sunglasses, helmet, race number went on easily, shoes went on easily, got my bike and ran up the grassy hill to the bike start line, which was full of people, all n00bs like me, awkwardly getting on their bikes.

Starting with the socks - which were a last minute decision - I would roll them but orient them so they roll up my feet the right way! Tank top would be pulled on with two hands (I think I was trying to grab for my sunglasses with the other hand) and pull down at the sides, but who knows, maybe it's always this tricky to put a shirt on while wet! Ah - next time, tri top, or the self esteem to not have to put a shirt on over my swimming bra. Yeah, right.
Bike
  • 33m 19s
  • 8 miles
  • 14.41 mile/hr
Comments:

I loved the bike leg. It was the one of the three that I planned on pushing, and I was passing people!! Didn't hold back on passing like my first HM. I pushed it, but not too hard because I was cheering the other bikers on - to which I got no reply. In fact, I was the only one cheering other people on. Is that n00by of me? I was just so happy to be out riding, and doing so well! And going so fast! Until the dang flat. Last corner, 1/3 mile from the end. Flat tire. Contemplated changing it, but someone passing me said I was near the end so I walked/awkwardly jogged the bike back. Maybe 6 or 7 minutes to walk it back to transition. I was sooooo bummed. Every minute that went by I kept thinking, would it be faster to change it? Argh!

Nothing. I pushed the pace, but not too hard, and had a great ride. In hindsight, best that I walked the rest, but I shouldn't have been so negative about the flat because it really affected my run.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 flew by! I came in jogging with the bike (Nick commented he was surprised at how clumsy people were with walking their own bikes), got angry because I thought people had dumped their bikes on the ground on my stuff, but I was one rack more over, so I griped out loud, then found my stuff. Racked MY bike hehe, then proceeded to take off the helmet, slip out of my bike shoes and into my running shoes. It felt fast to me, but transitions weren't separately timed. Turned around and realized I didn't know where to run. Saw some runners, remembered the opening prep talk and headed towards the front gate of the park.

Nothing. Was all pretty smooth! Would contemplate not wearing socks next time. I hate socks. It was a last minute decision and I might try without.
Run
  • 32m 14s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Was preoccupied with negative thoughts of my flat tire. Had a tough time with the course because I hadn't scoped it out at first, so I had no idea where I was, where I was going, what was coming, and how much I had left. I'm a conservative runner, so I didn't push the run at all. Benefit of the flat meant I didn't have a terrible heavy leg feeling, but I did notice after what felt like a mile that my legs loosened up. Someone at the last 1/3 mile left their sprinkler on towards the road so I airplaned through. That was nice, even if it cost me some time (like, 3 seconds? :) ).

Always know the course layout. Running is a mental battle for me, and the best thing I can do is prepare by knowing what's coming. My confidence would have been much higher if I had only previewed the course. I also know I can push it more because I wasn't breathing nearly as hard as I have for runs like Turkey Trot or Fast Friends. Could have pushed it - 5 k is supposed to hurt the whole time, right? But I wasn't doing this tri to compete, so I am happy I finished it at all! Next time - better attitude!
Post race
Warm down:

Uhm...warm down? I was stopped by a volunteer while they bent down and took off the timing chip from my ankle. Brutal. I wanted to get walking, but came to a dead halt. Then I walked over to my friends, stood around and took photos. Wasn't until a few minutes later that I had a drink of water, stretched and got some food in the form of pizza (not so good) and fruit (yum).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Big mental downer. Ruminating (as I am wont to do) over the flat tire and not previewing the run course.

But this wasn't for time, so I have to focus on the positives. I finished my first tri!

Event comments:

This was a pretty good race. The course had to change at the last minute due to flooding at Surry Mountain Lake, but otherwise this was a great beginner friendly race. I learned a lot and the race and course made it possible for me to give triathlon a try. I would highly recommend this to people as a first triathlon.

Last updated: 2012-07-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:39 | 440 yards | 02m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 144/188
Performance: Average
Suit: Athleta Ready To Run bra top, Craft tri shorts
Course: Counter clockwise semi circle from beach, starting in knee deep water. End with a 90 degree left turn and straight shot to the boat ramp. Due to recent flooding, I have a feeling the beach and lake have seen clearer days, but it was pretty calm, just weedy and smelly.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:33:19 | 08 miles | 14.41 mile/hr
Overall: 137/188
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 8 miles of NH country road, which means it was chewed up and patchy and apparently had glass bits, because I got a piece of glass in my tire and had a flat. The course itself is pretty flat. The turnaround was a nasty, narrow turn that was unmarked, but at least there were volunteers who did a great job of telling you where to turn. Had to really slow down to take the turnaround. Nasty start uphill with vaguely defined start line. People ran up the hill to where the pavement started and mounted the bikes. Lots of congestion, lots of people apparently fumbling to get on their bikes. I had a good mount and got going, passing people on the hill. End of bike course was on a downhill, which made for a tricky dismount for people. People were supposed to slow down, dismount and walk through the chute for timing, but some dismounted in the chute/after the chute/fumbled with not slowing down. Messy. For me, I walked in with a flat so I unfortunately confused people who may have dismounted early. (Sorry guys!)
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:14 | 03.11 miles | 10m 22s  min/mile
Overall: 126/188
Performance:
Course: Open sunny road course going through village of Surry. Mostly flat, mostly pavement, some gravel/dirt on a downhill (dangerous) at the end. NO MILE MARKERS!! Total bummer.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-07-15 9:16 PM

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire
Subject: Give Peace A Tri

2012-07-16 9:35 AM
in reply to: #4312796

User image

Veteran
Maine
Subject: RE: Give Peace A Tri

Congratulations on your first tri!!  Nice job.  Fantastic on the swim!  I remember your earlier posts about just learning and when you first hit the mile mark. 

Too bad about the flat, but I think you made the right call on not changing it.  If you had been further out it would have made sense to fix it but at that distance it was probably a wash on the time.

Your experience with the socks(yes, I wear them) gave me an idea for my next tri.  I may mark them with a sharpy so I'm sure to roll them back on correctly.  Didn't have a problem on the last one, but it might be a nice piece of insurance.

Hope to see you at Wallis Sands!

2012-07-17 9:18 PM

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire

Thanks for the support, Chris!

About those socks, yes, I'll have to orient them or mark them up. Oh, the things you learn during your first tri!

On Wallis Sands...I'm teetering on the edge of signing up. I'm hoping I'll have a couple friends join me, but so far no one is committing. It would be great to meet you, and a few other BTers at the tri. That alone makes me want to sign up.

2012-07-18 7:02 AM
in reply to: #4317074

User image

Veteran
Maine

GreenMtnLabbit - 2012-07-17 10:18 PM   ..., the things you learn during your first tri! ...

At least you didn't fall over taking your wetsuit off in T1!   I was just happy that wasn't captured on film!  Getting better though, did a mini tri at a club in Kennebunk last week and remained upright.

Wallis Sands looks like it will be a great race.  I've heard good things about it from a number of people.  The bike is very flat, it's the same course(but reversed) that I ran the half marathon on back in May.  & it's a day at the beach when the race it done.

2012-07-18 8:52 AM

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire

Yeah, I imagine I'll have to rent a wetsuit for Wallis Sands, which means there will be all sorts of odd contorsion from me as I try to take it off! A friend of a friend who did her first tri last September wound up on the ground, on the beach, pleading for help because she got stuck in her wetsuit. My hubby did get photographic evidence, but as per her wishes, we have buried it deep in my harddrive. lol. I, for one, think it'd be hilarious to have video footage of me squirming out of my wetsuit.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Give Peace A Tri Rss Feed