General Discussion Race Reports! » Mountain Man Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mountain Man Triathlon - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Flagstaff, Arizona
United States
Mountain Man Events
Total Time = 1h 22m 14s
Overall Rank = 83/217
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 17/29
Pre-race routine:

Day before race: got rained on hard on our way up from Phoenix. Bikes got drenched but survived.

Night's sleep before race: crazy dreams, one in particular of us oversleeping and missing the race.

Morning of race: wheat English Muffin, peanut butter, half a banana and a Starbucks Double Shot. Dynamic Stretching. Then the ride from the hotel to Lake Mary in the fog.
Swim
  • 15m 49s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

The most violent swim I've experienced. Within the first ten seconds was hit in the face and lost my goggles. Fixed them without going to my back. Then 30 seconds later hit in the face again. The second blow stunned me and it took a moment to notice that my goggles were off again. Fixed them again and went back to swimming but the left goggle was filling with water. Also had a LOT of trouble catching my breath - probably took 300m to get in a rhythm. But I was breathing every stroke and swallowing a bit of water as I gulped air. Didn't panic but definitely felt the altitude. Didn't help that I was pummeled on the swim. And as I was coming out of the water I stepped in a big hole and tripped. Time was okay but not my best. Fair enough given the circumstances.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure. I'm not willing to line up in the back or way to the side on the swim. I'm a decent swimmer so I don't want to handicap myself by starting well after the gun. Really nothing I could have done about the altitude.
Transition 1
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

My transitions are notoriously slow. This one was no different, but in my defense I had a LONG run from the swim out to where my bike was racked.

Hire a wetsuit stripper?
Bike
  • 33m 30s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 22.26 mile/hr
Comments:

My best bike split ever. Would have pushed it even harder if not for the wet road conditions. But was running Vittoria Rubbino Pro Slicks and with the camber of the road I felt my tires were "slipping". Otherwise, would have mashed even harder. Also had a lot of trouble keeping my eyes on the road. The course was so beautiful that I wanted to look out onto the pine forests, mountains, or lake.

Nothing. Had a great split, just wish the roads were dry. Maybe think about aero wheels and an aero helmet to take even more time off :)
Transition 2
  • 02m 39s
Comments:

Another long transition. I should have ordered a drink I was there so long. Took a long time to tie my shoes because my hands were cold.

Get some of the "quick" pull-on laces. Might have saved 30 seconds.
Run
  • 27m 30s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Always my weakest link. I guess people with big, tall frames aren't meant to be super-fast runners. Or at least that's the excuse I use :) That said, this run wasn't bad and I was happy with the results. Passed a lot of people who were heaving for breath. I was just happy to be running in cool weather.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a water, an orange, and was jazzed that they had little powdered donuts. Had a few of those...and half a cheese danish. Stretched a bit and waited for my wife to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Getting pummeled on the swim. The altitude on the swim. On the bike and run the elevation didn't seem to affect me though.

Event comments:

The most fun I've had at a triathlon. The course was incredibly beautiful - I wanted to slow down to take it all in. The volunteers were great, helpful, and cheerful. And they had donuts! Also set a sprint-distance PR. Was also encouraged - if I can shave a minute off of T1 or T2, or push it a little harder on the swim, bike, or run, I can run a sub 1:20 sprint. That would be really nice.

Last updated: 2012-04-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:49 | 820 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/29
Overall: 46/217
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:44
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:33:30 | 12.43 miles | 22.26 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/29
Overall: 83/217
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course:
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:39
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:30 | 03.11 miles | 08m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/29
Overall: 117/217
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-07-15 10:19 PM

User image

Phoenix AZ
Subject: Mountain Man Triathlon - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mountain Man Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed