General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock ‘n’ Roll Chicago Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rock ‘n’ Roll Chicago Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Chicago, Illinois
United States
Competitor Group, Inc.
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 04m 57s
Overall Rank = 3880/14881
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 227/1347
Pre-race routine:

Tried to eat a plain bagel toasted with peanut butter, and it just wasn't going down...only managed about 3/4 of one. Had a plain GU at about 6:15.
Event warmup:

Mile warm up - 9:47

Did my stomach stretches....
Run
  • 2h 04m 57s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I was so happy and so surprised how great I felt throughout this whole run. Everything felt good...my neck...my stomach...my hips...legs....feet. It was pretty warm out there, and I did walk through every water stop, and took in a cup of water and after about mile 5, I started dumping one down my back too. At a couple of them, I also had a Gatorade, but I stuck more to the water, since that's what I usually train with. At the halfway point, I stopped, and had my GU with a couple cups of water....I really took my time getting this down, because the one thing that did bother me throughout the run, were the smells...I don't know if it was the heat, or what, but sometimes, especially in Greektown...I felt like I was going to gag, so I just wanted to make sure I got this down...but then, I got to mile 12....

At around mile 12, the race headed north, and headed up an off ramp of LSD and as I got to the top, my stomach injury COMPLETELY spasmed and I pulled off to the side and stretched with my arms above my head like I usually do when I get the pain, but this was so intense, it wasn't doing anything to help. Seeing the finish line, I said "Screw it" and just pushed on, and it was just too painful. I stopped again, and was having trouble even getting a breath, so I pushed on it and started again, only to stop about 10 feet in excrutiating pain. So many of the runners were trying to help, and I couldn't believe that walking to the finish was a VERY distinct possibility. I REALLY wanted to get under 2 hrs, but it took me almost 5 minutes to go that last 3/4 of a mile. I just pushed on it and took realy shallow breaths, and HTFU and got to the finish.

While I am thankful that it didn't flare up earlier in the race, this was the worst it's been in a long time, and it wasn't going away.

Still, at 8:30 tonight, it still feels really tight and sore.

Just have to keep working hard to keep this ugly injury at bay.

Did have a PR after all of this of EXACTLY 1 minute...so I guess that's a plus!!
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Same old, same old....stomach flare up.

Event comments:

Overall, I am happy with this race. I would have been over the moon if I didn't have the injury pop up, and cross the finish line closer to 2 hours or even under 2 hours. But, this thing has usually reared it's ugly head throughout the race, and it didn't. I SERIOUSLY thought I was going to have to walk to the finish line, and with all the spectators watching and seeing me in so much pain, was a little embarrassing. But the runners who kept encouraging me to get to the finish, was really nice. I have NO idea what this will hold now for the marathon...I REALLY need to continue with the PT and the upper body for the next 2 months to stay strong. I've definately made a ton of progress, but it's still not 100% yet...and it may never be. I just have to make sure I do everything I can to keep getting stronger.

Last updated: 2012-07-18 12:00 AM
Running
02:04:57 | 13.1 miles | 09m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 227/1347
Overall: 3880/14881
Performance: Good
Mile 1: 8:07 Mile 2: 9:03 Mile 3: 9:04 Mile 4: 9:18 Mile 5: 9:32 Mile 6: 9:14 Mile 7: 10:47* Mile 8: 10:09 Mile 9: 9:04 Mile 10: 9:51 Mile 11: 9:13 Mile 12: 9:35 Mile 13: 10:33** Total calories burned: 3,288 *Stopped and had a GU and a couple cups of water...it felt like it didn't go down well...had a hard time getting going again.
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes