Heros Inc
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 27m 30s
Overall Rank = 44/67
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 10/11
Pre-race routine:

Got to the race site the night before for packet pickup and checked into the hotel. Everything was cool and we talked with some fellow tri-club memebers.

Got up race morning and had a sweet potato and some Aleve. I hadn't run in 3 weeks, nursing some PF and was a little worried. Also hadn't done any open water swims without a wetsuit and that realization was also sinking in.

Made it too transisiton and got set up, race director anounced 78.3F water temp. . . no wetsuits. Whatever I wasn't gonna sweat it since this was gonna be my 1st XTERRA and I was looking to have fun.
Event warmup:

The lake swim was about 300 vertical feet below the transistion area. To get up/down required using flagstoine paths built back in the day that zigzagged the cliff. Notice the 5+ minute T1. So getting down was a good warmup. I am officially a mamby-bamby according to the RD since I took some old shoes down to the dock for the run back up to T1.
Swim
  • 21m 37s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

So the swim was long. I looked at people that I race against and compared their time and everyone is slower per 100 than previous races. I was off by almost 30seconds per hundred. No biggie everyone did the same course. A confused volunteer was yelling at me to alter my course in the wrong direction which added 50-75 yards to my race. I had to stop and tread water and help them with left vs right from the swimers perspective. It's okay glad they were there in case somehting bad happened.

I was fine with the swim with no wetsuit, no panicking, got kicked, clawed and punched but I am comfortable witht he contact now.
What would you do differently?:

Start on the outside. Swim the little extra in clean water will probably make me faster than trying to sight/battle with everyone else.
Transition 1
  • 05m 18s
Comments:

That's a long climb to transition. Cool views on the way up!

Glad I took the shoes. Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 26m 12s
  • 10.74 miles
  • 7.48 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a riot. 2 manadtory dismounts, a log crossing, I almost got blindsided by a deer, everyone got lost at some point, there was blood, stitches, wrecks, steep climbs, technical decents etc. Everyone had something to say about the bike course. I loved it. This was my 1st XTERRA and I will be looking at more of these in the future. It was fun, almost like a kid again.

More practice on the MTB
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

normal T2
Run
  • 33m 22s
  • 3.26 miles
  • 10m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Brutal, and fun. The course had everything you could ask for in a tough trail run.

The PF stayed away and I think I am going to give up run training! :)

trail runs
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, water water and gatorade

What limited your ability to perform faster:

1st xterra. I didn't know how I was gonna react off the bike. I hammered the bike (for me) and still managed to put up a decent run, I actually passed some people.

Event comments:

I rated this race high because for a 1st year race they did a good job and were truly appreciative of constructive critisim. The bike course needed better marking and I believe that will happen. The volunteers were plentiful but maybe didn't quite understand what was going on. This race is in the "wild west". It was part of a double tri weekend and put on by RD's who know what they are doing and will fix the small issues for next year. Bottom line is it was a blast, and I highly recomend it if you have a MTB and like tri's for a change from the same old thing. On a side note I noticed that 1.5 months of MTB training has really helped my confidence on the road too, in terms of handling and short bursts of hard effort to pound out those rollers!

Last updated: 2012-07-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:37 | 880 yards | 02m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/11
Overall: 53/67
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: Out and back
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:18
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:26:12 | 10.74 miles | 7.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/11
Overall: 39/67
Wind: None
Course: Holy crap. Right out of transistion required a steep downhill scramble on loose scree, short section of single track to dirt roads to cross Elephant Butte Dam, short section paved to desert roads that would require extreme 4x4 to utilize, really rough rocky roads, to some trails made by chupacabras (look it up), back over the dam to more desert rock roads with a short slick rock drop/decent for the fans. Awesome course, very challenging.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:33:22 | 03.26 miles | 10m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/11
Overall: 40/67
Course: Okay meanies set this up. Out of T2 run down to the lake, run to the top of the nearest hill through a combo of trail, steps, scree, mesquite, cactus, then com back down through that get close enough to the finish that you think you are done only to be handed a cup of water and told, way to go only 1 more tough mile, up hill and back down through trails, steps, scree, cactus and mesquite.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-07-23 7:09 PM

User image

Regular
Los Alamos
Subject: Dread Mon XTERRA

2012-07-25 8:18 AM
in reply to: #4326812

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Subject: RE: Dread Mon XTERRA
Nice! This sounds like a blast.

I have always wanted to race an XTERRA type race.
I'll have to keep an eye out for this next year...
2012-07-30 4:21 PM
in reply to: #4326812

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: Dread Mon XTERRA
great report.  Sounds like a  good time.  Always nice to read about someone elses Xterra adventure. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dread Mon XTERRA Rss Feed