General Discussion Race Reports! » Octomax Triathlon - Max-O-Mania Race #2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Octomax Triathlon - Max-O-Mania Race #2 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Innsbrook, Missouri
United States
Ultramax Sports
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 43m 39s
Overall Rank = 84/187
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 10/14
Pre-race routine:

Set up my transition area and spent a few minutes trying to figure out the exit to the run course. The cone markers were a little confusing, but got it all squared away with little problem.
Event warmup:

Spent a few minutes with my usual stretches. Made my way to the lakefront with a little more than thirty minutes to the start and did a short swim. Looking back now, I should have spent a little more time warming up for the swim as I ran into some breathing problems early in the swim segment.
Swim
  • 11m 23s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

Had been training using bilateral breathing every third stroke. But the time I was 100 yards into the swim, I found that I could not catch my breath and ended up breast stroking for 2/3 of the course. Had spent a good deal of time in the pool preparing for the swim, so very disappointed in the result here.
What would you do differently?:

Completely changed up the way that I approach the swim. Training to breath every other stroke but continue to bilateral breath for sighting. Also focusing more on exhaling as I swim under the water, making for a more natural inhale on the ups. The added breathing has helped quite a bit.
Transition 1
  • 03m 38s
Comments:

Transition didn't feel as slow as the time turned out to be, but since this was my first non-minisprint triathlon, I didn't have much to compare it to. This was also the fist time I have used clipless pedals and ended up spending a bit of time getting socks and riding shoes on. I was approaching this race as a learning experience, so I didn't push the transition and took my time.

Probably wouldn't do anything differently, but now that I have a better idea as to what to expect, I will begin making a more intentional effort to improve the time. Will practice attaching the shoes to the bike ahead of time and putting them on while rolling--I think this was the biggest deficit in my time.
Bike
  • 1h 04m 30s
  • 18 miles
  • 16.74 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike is a real weak spot for me and an area I plan to focus on much more in the off season.

Nothing much...for me, it is all about putting in more seat time in training.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Transition to running went smoothly. Left the bike shoes attached, but spent a little too much time having to ties my running shoes.

Need to get some tri-laces for the running shoes to cut down on the time needed to get into them.
Run
  • 22m 56s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

The run segment is my strongest area, and I was able to make up a little time lost in the poor swim and bike. The hills play to my strength as I passed a number of runners.

Wasn't sure how my legs would work after the bike ride, so I took it perhaps a bit too conservative at the beginning of the run. Had no problems with my legs and finished with a little gas left in the tank--should have pushed harder right out of T2.
Post race
Warm down:

No dynamic warmdown. Stood at finish for a few minutes and drank a bottle of water--temperature was beginning to get pretty warm. Ate a banana and sandwich provided for finishers. Psychically felt pretty good after the race, but dwelled on the poor swim performance. Will use that feeling as motivation to improve next time out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

There were no limiting factors except the need to for training. As a first non-minisprint tri, I approached this race as a learning opportunity, so times did not mean all that much. Next race, however, that won't be the case.

Event comments:

A well run and organized race, but since I am still a rooking, not much to compare it to. I enjoyed the course, both bike and run, around the lake and through the woods.

Last updated: 2012-06-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:23 | 547 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 0/187
Performance: Bad
Suit: No wet suit
Course:
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:38
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:04:30 | 18 miles | 16.74 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: The course was incredibly hilly throughout which slowed my speed quite a bit.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:22:56 | 03.1 miles | 07m 24s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Like the bike course, the path through the woods, while mostly paved, was quite hilly.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-07-23 9:49 PM

User image

Subject: Octomax Triathlon - Max-O-Mania Race #2
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Octomax Triathlon - Max-O-Mania Race #2 Rss Feed