Ironhead Race Productions
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 31m 13s
Overall Rank = 244/434
Age Group = F 55-59
Age Group Rank = 1/2
Pre-race routine:

Well, this was a destination race for some of my Mentor Group from BT. I had 2 folks arrive from Indy and one from AZ, and then there were 3 of us local folk. Tammy (tstl) arrived in Austin on Friday and I picked her up from the airport, and then Brad and Wilson arrived that evening around 10:30. Wilson was flying in from the UK, Brad drove from Indy to meet him and then they drove the rest of the way to Temple. We caught up briefly that evening and then hit the sack.

Saturday morning we had decided to take a short bike ride. Wilson broke his collarbone just over 5 weeks ago and was anxious to get in a ride to see how it felt, even though he knew it wasn't 100%. I don't normally do any training the day before a race, but since the week was spent cleaning and getting ready for the gang and I didn't get much training if any in, I didn't think a short 13 miles would hurt. It didn't hurt ME, but Wilson was in pain by the time we got back and had to resort to some drug therapy. In the meantime, Ron, my hubby the wannabe chef and fabulous cook, had prepared us a yummy breakfast casserole with fruit salad and BACON!! We all got showered up and then headed to the Lake for lunch at the Dead Fish Grill... (yes, there was much eating this weekend!). We met Tammy Tucker and Connie there, had a nice relaxed lunch and then we all piled into Tucker's car and she drove us up to Waco for packet pick up. Nice little Expo, we all got our stuff and headed across the street to check out the swim venue. They already had all the buoys out, and there were quite a few people out swimming. We were able to find our transition spots and then we drove the bike route.

We got home and prepared to eat some more! Ron fixed fabulous bison ribeye/tenderloin steaks, really yummy. We chatted and everyone was in bed pretty early for the early morning wake up call.

I was up by 4:20 to make sure I had the pre-race breakfast spread all set... bagels, peanut butter/cream cheese, oatmeal, bananas, coffee.... we all had some nutrition, got packed into 2 cars and headed up to the race, arriving just after 6 a.m. It was a bit of a hustle because transition was closing at 6:30. We saw quite a bit of lightning on the way up, I was really hoping it wouldn't affect the swim. I wasn't thrilled with my rack spot because I had a LONG run to the bike mount, and then a LONG run back. Tammy Turtle had a good spot near the bike in/out. We all got set and then met up for the pre-race meeting. Kati and Kane were there to cheer us on, and Wilson was our head cheerleader, we could hear him screaming for us throughout the race! So we had the normal diatribe from Jack, the race director... kind of a prick, but he does run a great race. Luckily the storms were not nearby, so the swim was on! Brad and I were in the first wave, so before we knew it we were off! Took a Gu during the diatribe with water.
Event warmup:

None, we got a later start from home than I wanted and there just wasn't time.
Swim
  • 07m 55s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Being in the first wave, I started at the front, and never really got away from the pack. Since we never ran into another wave, at least everyone around me was swimming, so no worries with breaststrokers or back strokers. Finally cleared a little after the last corner. Had to use the volunteer to haul me out, this race has the hardest swim exit of all the tris I've done.
What would you do differently?:

Start a little more to the outside and do a swim warmup! I really felt the muscles, both my quads and shoulders for quite awhile. Felt like I did this pretty hard.
Transition 1
  • 02m 57s
Comments:

This swim exit has a really long run up snaking ramps from the water level up to the street level. I ran the whole thing, and since I was in the first wave, the cement was still fairly dry and not slippery. Got in and out of there pretty quickly, I was happy with this transition. Ran the whole thing out on my Speedplay cleats, it was long as my rack was next to last on the far side of the bike in/out. Got clipped in and took off.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 39m 17s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 18.99 mile/hr
Comments:

I've had my fastest bike splits in this race, but this wasn't one of them. I definitely could have done this harder and should have. I might have to start using my Garmin on the bike. I passed quite a few people, and got passed by the 20 year old guys that were in the swim wave behind me. Although I didn't feel any wind, as soon as we made the turnaround, we were into the wind all the way back, definitely felt it. Saw bikers down on the way back.

Ride harder, I should have easily hit over 20 and it wouldn't have affected my run any differently.
Transition 2
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

This is a bit of a tricky transition because the Oly race is going on at the same time as the Sprint and there are 2 different timing mats. Normally there would be no problem, but because there was a chance of a storm, the Oly bike was shortened to the Sprint distance. The 2 transition areas were divided by a median. In any case, got off the bike and ran it all the way down to the rack, and got my running stuff on and got out of there.

Nothing, happy with this one.
Run
  • 39m 27s
  • 3.45 miles
  • 11m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

As usual, the run sucked. I made a conscious effort not to go out too fast, kept my cadence quick, my steps tiny. Of course I was being passed like crazy, but I kept chugging along. Hit the first water stop and walked through it, started to run up the hill to the bridge and decided to walk it, which was good because I felt pretty good when I started running again. Walked the second water stop, sipped some water that had ICE in it and then poured the rest over my head. There were hints of a sprinkle and I was hoping it would rain, but it held off till my race was done. At least it was overcast, so not too hot. Walked the ramp up to the last bridge so I would have enough left to really run it in to the finish. Felt an urgent need for a bathroom with a mile and half to go, so once I hit the finish, I headed straight to the bathroom. Not a good feeling!

Keep working the bike and run, more full bricks.
Post race
Warm down:

None. Met up with Kati and Kane, heard both the Tammys announced coming in and eventually met up with everyone. It POURED so we hung out under the food tent awhile till it stopped. We got our stuff packed up and waited for awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The run of course! Also not training much the last 2 weeks leading up to the race.

Event comments:

This turned out to be a great race for the MMMers! Tammy Turtle who is training for an Ironman really spanked it, best time of all of us! Tammy Tucker beat me for the first time in spite of her swim, and she absolutely ROCKED the bike leg! Connie did well considering she's missed a lot of training due to injury and vacation and Brad did a great HTFU and got it done in spite of a pretty serious uppper respiratory thing that hit him a few days before the race. We picked up or bling and headed home, showered up and went out for some greasy burgers at the Oscar Store. And then waited for Ron's fabulous Texas BBQ to finish cooking, you could smell it all over the neighborhood!! And it was worth the wait.... brisket, baby back ribs, chicken, pulled pork and sausage, potato salad, cole slaw. BBQ cabbage, greens, corn bread, and beans. Pecan pie and Tammy Turtle's banana pudding for dessert! I think everyone was too full to drink, the evening was pretty tame! There are already plans for next year in the making....

Last updated: 2012-01-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:55 | 437 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/2
Overall: 54/434
Performance: Average
Suit: KiWAMi one piece tri suit
Course: Rectangular, keeping buoys on your left.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 86F / 30C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:57
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:17 | 12.43 miles | 18.99 mile/hr
Overall: 162/434
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back on flat road.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:34
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:39:27 | 03.45 miles | 11m 26s  min/mile
Overall: 352/434
Performance: Below average
Course: Loop along the river, up over the bridge to the other side and then across the historic pedestrian bridge to the finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-07-24 8:02 AM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: TriWaco Sprint Triathlon

2012-07-24 11:46 AM
in reply to: #4327366

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: RE: TriWaco Sprint Triathlon
Congrats on a great race the the AG win!  Sounds like a great weekend for all.
2012-07-24 11:56 AM

User image

Regular
Great race there Hilde and a great read...almost makes me what to do a race again--nah!  Your swimming is well just another good swim for you. I wish I could get under that illusive 2 min per 100; 19mph on your bike was just a great effort and the run was probably just tough in the heat! Maybe next year I'll join the group but only after I'm a year older and even slower!
2012-07-24 2:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
Bronze member
Sounds like a great time was had by all! Glad the weather held off for your race. And DAMN, the food descriptions made my mouth water!!! I'm from Texas and it's been a long while since I've had some good BBQ. Your husband sounds like a great cook!
2012-07-24 2:55 PM

User image

New user
KY
Great job, once again, and congrats on nailing your age group!  Bet you would have won some other age groups with that time, wow!  SOunds like SUCH a fun weekend...so cool you all got to hang out together and get to know some of the new MMM'ers.  And you DID just have to put pecan pie and banana pudding in the same sentence!  Heavenly!!!  So happy for all of you rocking the race and just having a great weekend with the best of company and delicious food; that's what racing is really all about!
2012-07-24 7:29 PM
in reply to: #4328343

User image

Veteran
Austin

Way to go on your race!!  I'm still so sad I missed it, but hopefully next year!  Sounds like great racing all around.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TriWaco Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed