General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri-ing for Children's Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri-ing for Children's Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Eagle, Wisconsin
United States
Race Day Events, LLC
Total Time = 2h 10m 57s
Overall Rank = 4/171
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Drove up and got my things ready.
Event warmup:

Little bit of swimming in the lake. Always get used to the water before starting the race. Gotta love it when they give us the pink caps.
Swim
  • 28m 3s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

No wetsuit on this one as I'm trying to get used to going without it for later races. It was plenty warm. Trotted in with everyone else and just kept walking until near swim speed. A couple hundred yards in I found a couple people that were about my speed and decided to draft the one (clad in wetsuit). I moved in and out to test out the speed. It was easier in the draft, but I could also go faster outside of it. Since it would have taken at least several minutes to pull ahead, I decided to stay with the draft to work on that and save energy. I tested every now and then to make sure, and also during the separations. Held fairly well and able to find her again quickly in the crowds.

I didn't know it was a girl I was following until standing up at the end. She's just under 6 ft, so had some size. I felt good with that as girls tend to have at least some idea what they're doing, at least in my experience.
What would you do differently?:

Wish it could have been faster, wonder if I should have gone for it around her. A wetsuit would have given me a couple more minutes, but would have defeated part of the purpose of this race.
Transition 1
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

Maybe some day I'll get after this better.
Bike
  • 59m 32s
  • 25 miles
  • 25.20 mile/hr
Comments:

I was really wanting to go after this one to see what I could do, but didn't have the energy today with the accumulation from the week and riding yesterday. Power was only 284, a fair amount under what I should be able to do. Didn't fade. Never had the explosive feeling, where I need to hold back. Did the best I could, making myself work for it and still broke 1 hr.
Transition 2
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

Some day I'll get through this quickly.
Run
  • 39m 50s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Remembered to just run out of the gate, using quick cadence. Didn't worry about anything else, just move the feet quickly, high turnover, and everything else would come. First mile was 6:53, which is better than anything so far this year, but well short of where I think I should be. Stayed with it as I need to trust that it will come. Then it started going a lot faster in the 2nd mile, as all the rest were under 6:30. I could feel my stride starting to lengthen and cadence fall off at times. Caught myself and quickened it up.

Much of the earlier miles weren't too bad. Stomach started to become upset just after mile 4. Later, after 5 it was getting worse. I slowed a touch to hopefully recover a little for the finish. I didn't want to throw up on some kid (especially given what this event is for). Help slightly, but still found another step and picked it up a bit more anyway.
What would you do differently?:

Look into nutrition. This is becoming an issue. Legs & lungs were doing ok. Some burn, but they could take more. This feels like a digestive issue more an just from pushing hard. I didn't take anything on the run, just the gel on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Got food and wandered around, waiting for my brother to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Working out hard right up to the event.

Event comments:

I like this race. It's small, but it just works. One thing to work on is the awards. They seemed to take for-eh-ver. Half an hour for the sprint awards, and then start the Olympic is way too long.

Attached is the photo of the age-group 1st award. A functioning bobble-head.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-06-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:03 | 1640 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/171
Performance:
Suit: None
Course: Two loops in a small lake
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:33
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:59:32 | 25 miles | 25.20 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 2/171
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Short out, two loop, and back. Course is flattish with some small rollers. Able to carry speed very well from one to the next.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:02
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:39:50 | 06.21 miles | 06m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 5/171
Performance:
Course: 2 laps around the area. A little bit on the grass paths, but most of it back & forth on the road. Very flat.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-07-29 5:39 PM

Master
Northern IL
Subject: Tri-ing for Children's Triathlon - Olympic Course

2012-07-31 6:50 AM
in reply to: #4336351

Subject: RE: Tri-ing for Children's Triathlon - Olympic Course

Impressive bike split, followed up by a great run.  That's a good swim too without a wetsuit, and obviously you had a lot left after the swim to put up those bike and run splits.

2012-07-31 11:14 AM

User image

Veteran
That was a great race! Good job. Super run after that bike for sure.
2012-07-31 12:32 PM

User image

nice ride...even when not feeling 100%
2012-07-31 1:53 PM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

you are killing it this year!!!  Every race has been awesome!!!  Your bike splits are killer!!!  Congrats bro on an outstanding season!!

2012-07-31 2:23 PM

User image

Regular
Madison
Awesome race Ben! I'll trade you for the pink cap if you want :-D Stop dilly-dallying in Transition!! I feel ya with the gels. They weren't working for me either. Probably not as bad as yours, but I was somewhat feeling some aching in my gut. Could be a water issue too. Not sure though. Maybe some oatmeal cream pies for the next race instead of gels for me! lol

2012-08-01 8:13 AM

Master
Northern IL
Thanks guys! Each race things are getting better in general. Hopefully I can put it all together for the big one.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri-ing for Children's Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed