Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Computer question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-30 9:55 AM

User image

Longview, Texas
Subject: Computer question

We have at home one laptor HP Mini, it is used mostly for web browsing, e-mails, etc...

yesterday when I was using it gave me a message of hard disk failure. after that I cannot turn it on anymore and the disk check it has if you press F2 before boot stops at 2%.

We don't really need taht but it was convenient, I saw some hard drives for sale online for atound 80 bucks.

Now for the question, the computer does not have CD/DVD player and had windows installed from factory.

If I decide to replace the hard drive, do I have to buy a license to install windows? or can I get HP to install virtually since it is the same machine?

2012-07-30 10:09 AM
in reply to: #4337026

User image

Subject: RE: Computer question
I would call HP and ask to purchase install disks. They'll probably charge you $20-50 for them
Pick up a new hard drive and drop it in.

Better yet, pick up a smaller hard drive and use that as your boot HDD and pick up a larger one and use that one as your data HDD.
Then look into these Seagate and other brand name backup drives.

2012-07-30 11:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
I am not sure how old your laptop is, but most hard drives come with a 3-5yr warranty and are easy to get replaced via the manufacturer when they fail in that time frame. Might be worth looking into. 
2012-07-30 12:46 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

yeah, ditto on calling the manufacturer to see if there's any warranty left.

Your PC likely came with an OEM license for windows when you bought it.  check the bottom and see if you have a windows license sticker.  If it's there then the good news is that you are licensed.  The bad news is that you have to have the manufacturer install cd/dvd in order to use the OEM license.

HP usually has the install files on a separate partition on the hard drive, so based on what you're describing it's probably toast as well.  So, you'd need to get an external CD/DVD that you can hook up and get ahold of an HP windows installation DVD/CD.

If you find yourself having to hire somebody (geek squad, etc...) then I would strongly recommend just looking at investing in another laptop, because you will likely spend about the same amount of money.

2012-07-30 1:35 PM

User image

Longview, Texas

thanks for the help,

the computer is about 2 - 3 years old. I ahve to call HP tomorrow to see about the disks. I'm sure it has a license for windows since it was brand new when we got it.

I'm trying to do it all myself, I used to play with hardware instalation / repais when in high school, but it was much easier back then using XT 386 with DOS Operations System, booting the computer with a 5 1/4 disk. Tongue out

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Computer question Rss Feed