General Discussion Race Reports! » Riverhead Rocks Olympic Distance Triahtlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Riverhead Rocks Olympic Distance Triahtlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Riverhead, New York
United States
Event Power
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 53m 37s
Overall Rank = 200/322
Age Group = m35-39
Age Group Rank = 28/41
Pre-race routine:

I got to the race sight at about 5:15 with plenty of time to spare. I took my time getting set up and checked in. I met up with Kev at about 5:45 and we talked for about an hour before the race started. It was inspiring to be here with him considering that he was, for all intensive purposes dead a little over a year ago and in a coma for six days.

We talked about upcoming races and how far I have come in 7 years. I'm looking forward to rooting him on and helping him out at IM NY in 2 weeks.
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 31m 16s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Like I said, this was a good swim for me. I was relaxed and smooth throughout. I have done a lot of swimming this year...ALOT, and it resulted in a :02/100 yards faster pace from the HIM in October 2011. Not sure why this is, but I think it supports the theory that swimming is not something one should spend a great deal of time on in training. I think training is. More or less needed to just feel comfortable when you get out of the water and put in a good bike effort.
What would you do differently?:

Not much
Transition 1
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

Really good. One of my quickest T1s I can remember. I was efficient and relaxed. The race experience I have acquired over 7 years has helped in that area.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 46s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.17 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a great ride for me. I don't think there were many times during the ride where is felt like I was over working or cycling outside of my ability. I stayed smooth and calm and just hammered the whole course. I stayed aero for, I'd say, 90% of the course. I kept a good cadence and my climbs were fantastic. I knew going in that if I was going to have a good race I'd have to have a great bike leg seeing as how my run has been a little off lately.
Transition 2
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

Another good transition. I took some time drinking some fluids and walked out of transition with a bottle of Gatorade. The humidity was high and I knew that would make the run tough.
Run
  • 59m 50s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Not good. Not terrible, but not good. I really wish I could figure out what my running problems have been as of late. I'd like to just blame it on humidity, but it's not like I have never had a good run in humid conditions.

I set an oly pr last June and I did so because I averaged 8:30 per mile in that race. Today I was a full minute/mile slower. Its extremely frustrating especially considering the fact that I have logged more miles to date than I ever had in the past. I mean, I could see if I was slacking off and not running 20 a week for the past 7 months.

The one good thing I could take from this is that I pushed myself and the effort was definitely there. I think mile 6 was my fastest.
Post race
Event comments:

2/3 of this race was good and I have to be satisfied with that. I have to get my running better and get out of this slump.

Last updated: 2012-03-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:16 | 1640 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/41
Overall: 224/322
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue seventy sprint
Course: In the Peconic River. This was my first river swim and it was a little strange being in such a narrow course. You swim up about 600 yards or so and turn Round towards the swim exit which is about 500 yards west of where we entered. It is a time trial start which is something else new to me. Of course you had the handfuls of people who seeded themselves incorrectly so there was quite a bit a passing in the first 400 yards but I was able to settle in nicely and had a really good swim.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:04
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:17:46 | 24.85 miles | 19.17 mile/hr
Overall: 125/322
Wind: Some
Course: Big loop on roads I have ridden countless times in my life so it was comfortable and relaxing. We have gotten a lot of rain the past few days so the road was slick. I was fortunate to be around a lot of, obviously, experienced triathletes so I think we worked well together to keep ourselves out of danger. Still though, there was carnage everywhere. A lot of people fixing flats (lots of debris on the road) and some nasty spills.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:42
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:59:50 | 06.21 miles | 09m 38s  min/mile
Overall: 238/322
Performance: Average
Course: Two 3.1 mile loops. You pass the finish line on your first loop which is always disconcerting.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-07-30 2:35 PM

Expert
Miller Place, Long Island
Subject: Riverhead Rocks Olympic Distance Triahtlon

2012-07-30 4:59 PM
in reply to: #4337774

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Riverhead Rocks Olympic Distance Triahtlon
I like the comment about swim training..I agree...unless i plan on racing in a normal swim meet that I am going to max out on speed and it will just be a matter of getting out of the water in a IM with still alot left in the tank, no matter whether its a 1 hr swim or 1:20.
2012-07-31 9:44 AM

User image

Solid Race, Michael!!  Yeah, the run is a funny thing.  Sometimes it's there for you and sometimes - not so much.  But yah did good!

2012-08-02 2:03 PM

User image

Expert
Long Island, NY

Nice job, Mike!

How was the course?  Would you do it again?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Riverhead Rocks Olympic Distance Triahtlon Rss Feed