Tinman Hawaii
75F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 57m 40s
Overall Rank = 1/33
Age Group = Mixed Relay
Age Group Rank = 1/17
Pre-race routine:

Signed up as an individual, but decided to do a relay instead since I have not run or swam since Honu nearly 2 months ago. Got Keiko to swim, and Andrew to run. I figured we could put out a sub 2 hour time and win the relay outright unless there was a serious ringer team.
Event warmup:

Ran around the shore of the swim start for about 15 minutes.
Swim
  • 11m 47s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

Keiko had an okay swim. She hurt her shoulder a couple of weeks ago in a OWS collision, so I was just hoping she could make it through ok. I was hoping for sub 11 if she was healthy, but anything under 12 was great.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Got the chip from Keiko pretty quick, slapped it on, and it was "Hammer Time". Took a couple of seconds to get clipped in, but no big deal.
Bike
  • 1h 02m 55s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 23.70 mile/hr
Comments:

Got on my bike and started hammering. I was averaging 290+ watts and climbed up Diamond Head in my aerobars. I was in 10th place to start, and quickly picked off about half of the relay bikers in front of me within the first 3 miles. Relays were in the second wave, so there were a lot of other M34 and under already on the course.

I saw one guy on a road bike right on another guys wheel. Tucked nicely to the right because the wind was coming from the left. WOW...just blatant. I'm flying by these guys like they are standing still, but I still manage to yell out "How's the draft" as I pass by. Looking back, I shouldn't have said anything since I'm not racing against them, but I was still pretty jacked up.

I get out onto the highway and it's starting to rain. The winds were also a little strong, and I'm realizing sub 1 hour isn't going to happen today. I still wanted to post the 2nd fastest bike split overall (to Tim Marr), but I wasn't feeling that extra bit of motivation. By the time I got to Hawaii Kai, I was already in 1st and still blowing by everyone in front of me.

I had a small mental laps on Lunalilo as the guy in front of me made a right turn that I knew was wrong, but for some reason I followed him. DUMB on my part. The cop was holding out his hand to stop traffic, which looked like he was pointing us to the right. I let out an F bomb, quickly made a U turn and got back on course. Cost me maybe 15 seconds. The guy in 2nd relay passed me at this point and I joked with him that I should have known...then proceeded to gap him again. The guy who made the wrong turn for some reason decides he want so pass me, gets in front, then dies out and has to coast. I pass him back, and he does it again...and again. WTF...who the hell hammers past someone then coasts on a flat? Whatever. We get to heartbreak and he hammers up the hill, and I just do my own thing. Of course as soon as he crests it, he needs to coast the downhill where I blow by him and never see him again. I hope he blew up on the run.

Anyway, the course is now really wet, and there are a few technical corners coming back. I make sure to take them easy as this race is not worth crashing over. The roads are rough, and I'm just not in the mood to really hammer while dodging cracks, pot holes, and puddles. Once we get back to Kahala though on smoother roads, I reapply the power.

I caught up to the female elite leader, and she's got a guy pacing her. Interesting. They stayed legal (at least 4-5 bike lengths), but it was obvious he was pacing her as he would constantly look back to make sure she was there.

Got to triangle park where I knew some friends would be watching, so I emptied the tank on that climb up to Diamond Head. I was the 8th biker back to transition overall despite starting in the 2nd wave, and 1st OA relay by 2 minutes.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I could have gone harder, but if I did, I would have took more chances on the corners and probably crashed.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Anderw took a while to get the chip on his ankle, but he was off and running.
Run
  • 40m 30s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Andrew held the 2 minute lead, and added another 10 seconds. Keiko and I were near the finish to cheer him in.
Post race

Last updated: 2012-07-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:47 | 820 yards | 01m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/17
Overall: 10/33
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Out and back at Queens beach
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:02:55 | 24.85 miles | 23.70 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/17
Overall: 1/33
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: Kapiolani Park out to Hearbreak and back.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal