General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My Athlete Live? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-31 1:42 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Subject: My Athlete Live?
Has anyone used My Athlete Live - http://www.myathletelive.com/for IM tracking? Any reviews?

2012-07-31 1:48 PM
in reply to: #4339494

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh
Subject: RE: My Athlete Live?

Yes, I have used it, for 3 different IM's.  The ordering/shipping process is super easy.  You can rent it for one day for an IM, they will ship it directly to your hotel and everything is included for the return shipping.

It worked great for IMFL, so-so for IMLOU and not well at all for IMLP.  It does require cell service, so I'm not too surprised that it didn't work so well in LP (mountain area).

My out of town friends/family say its easy to follow from home (when it works).

2012-07-31 1:54 PM

User image

Master
NJ

I've used it 2x.  Worked great in IMFL and not so much for IMLP.  Both times we rented the tracker for a week.  It worked great the first time but the second time the tracker was never "cleared" by the company.  It had me in Des Moines.  I emailed frantically w/ them in the few days leading up to IMLP and they kept saying it would work, it would work, not to worry.  It didn't work. I was still in Des Moines.  They were very apologetic, said they'd refund my $ and next race is on them.   The little tracker thing does need to be placed pretty carefully in the plastic casing so it doesn't fall out. 

2012-07-31 1:54 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Thanks! I'm doing NYC so I assume cell service probably won't be much of an issue
2012-07-31 2:07 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I used it at IM Louisville last year and according to my family it worked great. They seemed to get the most results out of tracking from an iPad but the smart phones also worked (wouldn't attempt from a Blackberry or non-smart-phone).

Shipped directly to my hotel - it was waiting for me at check-in.

2012-07-31 2:20 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

I used it at Wisconsin two years ago.  My wife couldn't track me from her iphone.  It worked fine on her phone the day before the race, but for some reason did not during the race (very well could have been user error on that).  But friends on the computer had no problem with it.  It really helped the wife out having friends tell her I was at mile whatever. 

The device itself was pretty small and light, about the size of a small pager.  I didn't notice it at all during the bike.  On the run, every couple of miles it would work itself in to the middle of my back and I'd start to feel it bouncing.  But I couldn't feel it when it was pulled over on my hip.

2012-08-21 5:03 AM

User image

Maryland
Most of the tracking services seem to use cell phone towers to send your location which seems to give spotty service as several folks have mentioned for IMLP. At the Badwaters ultra marathon this year, Cheryl Zawarkowski carried a Spot transmitter that uploaded her position ever 10 minutes. It trackerd her for the entire 135 miles and was availale to be viewed online with positions that were only 2-3 minutes old at transmition. The Spot transmitter sends the gps position directly to a satellite, not to a cell phone tower, which in turn sends the position to a ground cell system. It is a service that works anywhere there is access to the sky: in the mountains, on the water, in the desert. The devices can be purchased along with a monthly service plan or rented for a weekend, week, month. I would shop the web for rent or purchase pricing. I have not yet used the service but I am considering it for an ultra marathon in the fall.

The main website describing the service is: http://www.findmespot.com/en/
2012-08-21 5:57 AM
in reply to: #4372593

User image

Veteran
austin, Texas
I really like fit! It definitely uses cell towers (had a sim card in it).I'd recommend it, 100%.
2012-08-21 7:05 AM
in reply to: #4372624

I have been using for years and love it! My wife will not let me leave for a bike training ride without it. If you go someplace without cell towers, this will not work but most places one will race or train has cell towers. If not, your cell phone does not work if you get in trouble. I love the ability to have 30 second live updates since it enables people watching you on the web to stay engaged. I also find when I used like at Boston, since I knew folks were watching me, it give me more energy to race harder. Give it a try, and find how much fun it is having family and friends engaged in your race.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My Athlete Live? Rss Feed