Age Group Rank = 0/
Event warmup:

rode through campus, stretched
Bike
  • 3h 30m 6s
  • 63.5 miles
  • 18.13 mile/hr
Comments:

fun group ride. Did this race in part because it is in honor of a high school classmate who was killed while a student at Davidson. His family donated his organs and he was an avid cyclist. This is how the cause got paired with the bike ride. It is also a good hills ride for me. Spent almost half the race alone, so I could ride in aero position and work on the hills like a 1/2.

The riding time is exclusive of the rest stops and the repair. The last 2+ miles is uphill back to campus on Gray Rd. Not quite halfway up the hill, my chain gets wrapped around the inside of the first chain ring. Bottom chain is above top chain. After some tugging, I turn the bike over and work the chain out. Got it put back where it needed to be and got going. I was very proud of myself. First time I have had to do that in a race. I was also able to reclip going uphill which I couldn't do last September at Bridge to Bridge. Well, after a minute or two, I notice the road seems much sharper than earlier. I look down and my front tire is flat. Well, I was less than 2 miles from finishing and had no tubes, so on we went. Turning was tricky, but other than that, not a problem.
Post race
Event comments:

fun group ride. Recomend it to everyone in the area.

Tie for funniest sight of the day. First, on the course, group of us come over the hill and there are two guys off their bikes on the side of the road. One of them is looking his arms over as if seeing if anything is wrong with them. We ask if they need help and his friend answers, "no, he just hit the possum." Sure enough, right in the lane of travel is a fresh, huge possum. Apparently he couldn't dodge it and killed it when he hit it. Must have fallen off bike.

Second sight was a Porsche (911 I think) coup with hard top. On the roof were two bike racks. Classic.

Last updated: 2006-06-10 12:00 AM
Biking
03:30:06 | 63.5 miles | 18.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: rolling hills (for Kinston it is considered hilly)
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-10 5:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Kinston, NC
Subject: Collier Lilly Ride 4 Life

2006-06-10 6:17 PM
in reply to: #449920

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Subject: RE: Collier Lilly Ride 4 Life
Sounds like you had a great time!!  Funny mental images of the possom and the porche :-)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Collier Lilly Ride 4 Life Rss Feed