General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2012-08-03 3:51 PM
in reply to: #4345772

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread
tasr - 2012-08-03 1:24 PM

I got mine that day.

runninirish - 2012-08-03 1:25 PM

I just went on active.com website and finished my registration.  Didn't think we were waiting for an email to finish up the process.  You might want to check it out...I know the window is closing.

Thanks,  I was able to finish this up today.

2012-08-03 6:06 PM
in reply to: #4341496

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
1. Is this your first IM?
2. Have you done LP before?
3. What are your goals for the 2013 race?
4. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about LP (the race, training etc…)

1 - This will be my first IM.

2 - Nope, but I've ridden the course, swam in ML and finished my first marathon there this past June.

3 - I want to get to the start healthy and ready to race. My only other goal is finishing before midnight!

4 - I'm sure many questions will pop up through the year.
2012-08-03 8:37 PM

User image

Regular

For IMLP 12, my first race of any kind longer than a HIM, I used the competitive plan from the Fink book.  I modified it -- I made up all my own swim workouts and didn't do nearly as many swim workouts as recommended.  Also, I think that of the 30 weeks in the program, I only did every single workout in two of the weeks.  Life got in the way of triathlon.

Nonetheless, it prepared me for the distance and I had an absolute blast at the race.

This year, I think I use the Fink plan again and will probably modify it to adapt to some of the areas where I'm weak or want to improve.  If you are doing a 30 week plan, IMLP training begins in earnest on December 31st with a Monday/rest day.  That's right, the Fink plan starts on 1/1/13 this year.

In the meantime, I downloaded this plan from BT.  It is the Winter Cycling 16 Week Plan from Coach Jorge.  I did part of it last November-January and it was good stuff.  I set it up to start on September 3 in my "planned training" log.  Is anyone else doing Fink Competitive or interested in starting the Coach Jorge plan in about a month?

2012-08-04 12:44 PM

Regular
@Klassman--I plan on beginning the Fink competitive plan on January 1st and was thinking about Jorge's bike plan prior to the Fink plan beginning. I have a HIM on September 8th. I have to look at the bike plan and see if I understand it. I usually get on the trainer and just pedal--hence, I'm not a strong biker!! When you completed Fink's plan did you just use his way of figuring out HR or did you figure it out by actually going to track and doing the 30 minute fieldtest? Even with running--I just go out and run. I would like to incorporate tempo runs etc.
2012-08-05 6:24 AM

Regular

Good morning, all.  I got a slot in IMLP 2013, and am very excited.  Did a half and full IM distance in 2011, taking 2012 easy, but am back for more.  I plan on using Fink, but with a bit less swim as others have commented before.  I am going to sign up for Quassy as my 1/2 (did Mooseman, but gosh, that water was COLD!) and I want the hills of Quassy to gauge my fitness.  

For those that have ridden the course before, how much time did you spend in aero?  From the elevation view, it looks like there is a nice stretch after the big descent... can you stay aero in the later half of the loop?  Finally, how important is course familiarity; ie is one trip to LP enough ahead of time or should is a couple really, really helpful?  I live about 5-5.5 hrs away, so it is close enough to consider, but not a quick hop!  

Looking forward to getting to know you all, and enjoying the journey together!

2012-08-05 9:07 AM

User image

Expert
Niskayuna, New York

IMLP 2012 was my first Ironman, and I'm coming back for more. I'm considering using the Fink plan and also using Jorge's plan for a head start on the bike. My goal this year is to have improved bike fitness, which should drop my marathon time as well as the bike split. Better race day nutrition will also be something I will focus on.

2012-08-05 10:49 AM
in reply to: #4346452

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Illinois
klassman - 2012-08-03 8:37 PM

In the meantime, I downloaded this plan from BT.  It is the Winter Cycling 16 Week Plan from Coach Jorge.  I did part of it last November-January and it was good stuff.  I set it up to start on September 3 in my "planned training" log.  Is anyone else doing Fink Competitive or interested in starting the Coach Jorge plan in about a month?

I'm considering using this program as my pre training bike prep too.  I coach xc in the fall...so I will likely only get three quality rides in per week from now until November...but I'm sure there are benefits to be hard pulling workouts from this plan.

2012-08-05 12:47 PM
in reply to: #4347475

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
jsenc2002 - 2012-08-05 7:24 AM

Good morning, all.  I got a slot in IMLP 2013, and am very excited.  Did a half and full IM distance in 2011, taking 2012 easy, but am back for more.  I plan on using Fink, but with a bit less swim as others have commented before.  I am going to sign up for Quassy as my 1/2 (did Mooseman, but gosh, that water was COLD!) and I want the hills of Quassy to gauge my fitness.  

For those that have ridden the course before, how much time did you spend in aero?  From the elevation view, it looks like there is a nice stretch after the big descent... can you stay aero in the later half of the loop?  Finally, how important is course familiarity; ie is one trip to LP enough ahead of time or should is a couple really, really helpful?  I live about 5-5.5 hrs away, so it is close enough to consider, but not a quick hop!  

This was my first IM and being on a tri bike was new to me (March of this year), so I had 4 months to get used to it.  I was in the aero most of the time,  I seem to climb better in aero then I do sitting up (I'm able to relax more and seems I use less energy).  I would not say I'm a good climber but I didn't have to get out of aero to climb the hills,  they were just really long (Avg 16.33 for the bike course),  The second part of the loop is definitely alot slower.  I did a practice run during the 2011 race weekend so that was my only knowledge of the course.  I think if I could do it again I would try to make it up when the weather warmed up a little to see how my training was going this way it can tell me how I'm doing in my training.

2012-08-05 2:51 PM
in reply to: #4343367

User image

Colchester, VT
I'm in for 2013 and also volunteered in Bike Special Needs Bags. Awesome experience. This will be my first IM, but I live in Vermont, so I can get to LP in 2 hours to train. But I've got plenty of my own hills right here!
2012-08-05 9:41 PM
in reply to: #4346950

User image

Regular

dsmallacomb - 2012-08-04 1:44 PM @Klassman--I plan on beginning the Fink competitive plan on January 1st and was thinking about Jorge's bike plan prior to the Fink plan beginning. I have a HIM on September 8th. I have to look at the bike plan and see if I understand it. I usually get on the trainer and just pedal--hence, I'm not a strong biker!! When you completed Fink's plan did you just use his way of figuring out HR or did you figure it out by actually going to track and doing the 30 minute fieldtest? Even with running--I just go out and run. I would like to incorporate tempo runs etc.

I really cannot remember how I figured out my heart rate zones.  I did about 3/4 of the Coach Jorge cycling program last year and since I don't have a power meter, I did his test for the heartrate zones on the bike.  As I recall, they are 30-40 minutes.  I don't remember the running, but I am sure that I did something because I have it locked into my brain that I begin zone 3 (for running) at 151 so I wanted to always be running in the 140s.  

As a general rule, my zones are about 12 beats lower for biking than running and about 12-15 beats lower for swimming than biking.

2012-08-06 7:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
tasr - 2012-08-01 1:50 PM Hi All,

This will be the 3rd IMLP for me.  I love this course and have trained here a few times.  In 2013 my goal is to improve my overall time from 2010, the last time I raced this course.

I have a few years of experience with Triathlons, so any questions I will try to answer. 

So questions for the group.

1. Is this your first IM?
2. Have you done LP before?
3. What are your goals for the 2013 race?
4. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about LP (the race, training etc&hellip

Hi!

two time volunteer

1. No I did b2b

2. Yes training s/b/r

3. Kona

4. Nope

355 days 22 hours 25 minutes before race day

2012-08-06 7:38 AM
in reply to: #4347475

User image

Extreme Veteran

I would say 75-80% of the time on the bars. IMHO the only thing u have to get use to is the downhill other than that is no a biggie.

2012-08-06 8:40 AM
in reply to: #4348483

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Illinois
camaleon - 2012-08-06 7:38 AM

I would say 75-80% of the time on the bars. IMHO the only thing u have to get use to is the downhill other than that is no a biggie.

+1  I was in aero most of the time after Keene.  Had to get out on the way to Wilmington and a few of the climbs back into LP...

2012-08-06 2:05 PM

User image

Regular
Does anyone know how to get this thread to associate with the "Planned Races" segment on my log homepage?  In the past and for other races, the thread has a link right there that says "race talk."
2012-08-06 3:15 PM
in reply to: #4349487

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

klassman - 2012-08-06 3:05 PM Does anyone know how to get this thread to associate with the "Planned Races" segment on my log homepage?  In the past and for other races, the thread has a link right there that says "race talk."

Yep same for me.

I was going to send Ron or marmadaddy a PM, but did not yet. 

Edited by tasr 2012-08-06 3:18 PM
2012-08-06 3:16 PM
in reply to: #4349487

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

camaleon - 2012-08-06 8:38 AM

Actually I was on the bull horns on the Keene descent and a few times on some of the steeper parts of the climb. 

I always take stock in course familiarity, if you can train on the course the better.  I rode the course twice and drove it once.  That helped my confidence in the race.  My bike times 09’ and 10’ were in the 5:30 range.

Edited by tasr 2012-08-06 3:30 PM

2012-08-06 8:29 PM

Regular

Thanks all.  I heard that they may be doing some re-surfacing, which could help a lot.  Off season (even though I have a little sprint in a about a month) started today.  Slowly building up the engine...

Ideally, I would get to LP once or twice, perhaps one of the fireman camps.  Anyone else have any experience with the camps?

2012-08-06 9:37 PM

Melbourne Beach
This will be my 3rd IM. I did LPIM in 2009 and FLIM last year. My goal is to hurt less than in 2009 and do better on the run. I live in Fla but travel to LP a few times per year. I am headed up later this month for some riding in Jay and a swim. I would like some advise on bike gearing for the hills. Looking forward to the race but happy to have 11+ months remaining. Rummy.
2012-08-07 8:53 AM
in reply to: #4350305

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
rummy - 2012-08-06 10:37 PMI would like some advise on bike gearing for the hills. Looking forward to the race but happy to have 11+ months remaining. Rummy.
My take is; sub 6hr bike a 12-25 cassette with standard crank. A 6+hr bike a 12-27 cassette with standard crank or a compact crank. IMO with out knowing anything about your current cycling abilities, put on a 12-27 cassette with your current crank and try it. If you tend to have a harder time climbing hills think about a compact crank.
2012-08-07 9:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Illinois
I noticed the roads from LP to Saranac were newly done...hoping perhaps they will do LP to Keene before the race. That would be awesome.
Just curious, how much riding does everyone do race week? Specifically, getting in on Wednesday...no big deal to ride a loop on Wednesday,Thursday? Right? I was even thinking of riding the descent to Keene several times...thoughts?
2012-08-07 11:24 AM
in reply to: #4350710

User image

Regular

tasr - 2012-08-07 9:53 AM
rummy - 2012-08-06 10:37 PMI would like some advise on bike gearing for the hills. Looking forward to the race but happy to have 11+ months remaining. Rummy.
My take is; sub 6hr bike a 12-25 cassette with standard crank. A 6+hr bike a 12-27 cassette with standard crank or a compact crank. IMO with out knowing anything about your current cycling abilities, put on a 12-27 cassette with your current crank and try it. If you tend to have a harder time climbing hills think about a compact crank.

I rode a 6:03 split in my first Ironman (last month at Lake Placid.)  I rode on a 11-25 cassette.  I went through all my gears on the loop around Lake Placid.  I have a standard crank and while I forget how many teeth I have on the front, I think it may be the standard 53-39 -- I never had any problems with the hills.  I say "problems" to mean, I didn't have to come out of the saddle although I did drop my cadence in several places down into the 60s.  Mainly, by going into my smallest two gears, I could climb with a cadence in the 80s and on the aero bars. Also, I raced at 185 pounds -- so I imagine it is slightly easier for smaller guys and gals to get uphill due to power/weight ratios and I tend to descend like a demon due to gravity.

Last year's BT thread had a lot of talk about getting a triple in front, compact crank or riding with a 12-27.  I opted against all these choices after I took my bike out several times and found hills with a similar grade as the long climb from Wilmington to Lake Placid.  I forget the percent grade at the moment, maybe it was a 6 percent climb, but it is not unreasonable to do it on a standard set up it is however unrelenting.  You'll spend 10-12 miles pointed uphill -- and then will do it again.

My advice is that if you have to cheat one way or the other, at the margin go toward a set up for your bike that is a bit easier to take uphill.  You don't need any explosive speed and if you are pedaling in your biggest gear on this course then you are probably so darn strong that burning extra energy to get over 30 mph means that you have energy to spare when it comes to climbing or going into a headwind.

2012-08-07 5:28 PM
in reply to: #4344856

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO
TankBoy - 2012-08-03 5:35 AM
garryowen96 - 2012-08-02 11:02 PM4.  This will be my first time shipping a bike to an IM event.  Any tips or recommendations?

I have travelled with my bike all kinds of ways. I have used a triall3sports case multiple times a year since 1994 - we have a pair and both of them are still holding up very well. We mostly use them when we fly, but I have shipped them via FedEx and UPS as well. In 2011 I used TriBikeTransport for the first time (to IMLP) and absolutely loved their service. Didn't have to take the bike apart at all, and it was waiting for me in LP at the oval when I got there. It was great as you can send a gear bag with them as well. This year my LBS has started transporting bikes to bigger races, so I used them for IMLP instead. They took 10 bikes up to LP in their team trailer (along with gear bags) and as a bonus they retrieved our bikes out of transition for us when we were done. They were a little less expensive than TBT as well. While I have not used them, a few friends of mine have used www.bikeflights.com with good success. I am not sure what they do that you could not do with FedEx yourself, but my friends have said they have received excellent shipping rates through them - and FedEx will pick up your bike right at your door. My guess is that you could work out a deal to have it dropped off at one of the LP bike shops to have it reassembled and tuned if you did not want to fool with it yourself.

Thanks for all of the options.  I saw the TBT set-up near the oval and I'm leaning that way after checking out the site.

2012-08-07 5:32 PM
in reply to: #4352000

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
garryowen96 - 2012-08-07 6:28 PM
TankBoy - 2012-08-03 5:35 AM
garryowen96 - 2012-08-02 11:02 PM4.  This will be my first time shipping a bike to an IM event.  Any tips or recommendations?

I have travelled with my bike all kinds of ways. I have used a triall3sports case multiple times a year since 1994 - we have a pair and both of them are still holding up very well. We mostly use them when we fly, but I have shipped them via FedEx and UPS as well. In 2011 I used TriBikeTransport for the first time (to IMLP) and absolutely loved their service. Didn't have to take the bike apart at all, and it was waiting for me in LP at the oval when I got there. It was great as you can send a gear bag with them as well. This year my LBS has started transporting bikes to bigger races, so I used them for IMLP instead. They took 10 bikes up to LP in their team trailer (along with gear bags) and as a bonus they retrieved our bikes out of transition for us when we were done. They were a little less expensive than TBT as well. While I have not used them, a few friends of mine have used www.bikeflights.com with good success. I am not sure what they do that you could not do with FedEx yourself, but my friends have said they have received excellent shipping rates through them - and FedEx will pick up your bike right at your door. My guess is that you could work out a deal to have it dropped off at one of the LP bike shops to have it reassembled and tuned if you did not want to fool with it yourself.

Thanks for all of the options.  I saw the TBT set-up near the oval and I'm leaning that way after checking out the site.

No problem - if they have a pickup anywhere close to you they are a fantastic option.

2012-08-07 5:35 PM
in reply to: #4350864

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO

runninirish - 2012-08-07 8:51 AM I noticed the roads from LP to Saranac were newly done...hoping perhaps they will do LP to Keene before the race. That would be awesome.
Just curious, how much riding does everyone do race week? Specifically, getting in on Wednesday...no big deal to ride a loop on Wednesday,Thursday? Right? I was even thinking of riding the descent to Keene several times...thoughts?

IMO, I would definitely familiarize yourself with the decent coming out of Keene and make the call on doing a loop based on your training plan and how your taper is going.  If you do it you need to make sure you take it easy.  Ideally for the decent practice it would be ideal if you have a friend or family member there to shuttle you back up.

2012-08-08 9:31 AM

User image

New user

IMLP will be my first ironman. I'll be doing it with my boyfriend and another friend of mine who has done a few IMs. I did my first half this year and was really pleased with how it went, so I decided to go for a full for next year. My boyfriend and I are thinking about going up and doing one loop of the bike and run courses in September to get a feel for it, but we probably won't have a chance to get back after that before the race. I think I should be able to finish in 13 hours, but I'll wait to make a real time goal until I see how my training goes. My only real goals are getting through the training and making it to race day injury free, nailing down my nutrition (I didn't have any trouble with nutrition at the half, but I only had gatorade, water, and coke, but I'm assuming I'll need some solids as well for a full), and making it through the race happy and healthy! I still have an olympic and sprint to look forward to this summer, then some recovery time before starting training in earnest probably in mid November.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 59