General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2013-07-15 10:16 PM
in reply to: klassman

New user
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread
Originally posted by klassman

Almost time for the 10 weather forecast...almost...maybe since I cannot check the weather yet, I'll review my list of things to pack again.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/14-day-weather-trend/united-states...

ah, but there are 14 day forecasts! Current guesstimate is sunny with a high of 73.

2013-07-16 8:59 AM
in reply to: kent2233

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Illinois
Originally posted by kent2233

Almost time for the 10 weather forecast...almost...maybe since I cannot check the weather yet, I'll review my list of things to pack again.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/14-day-weather-trend/united-states...

ah, but there are 14 day forecasts! Current guesstimate is sunny with a high of 73.

I like it.

Wait...it updates every 20 mins???? Sweet...I know what I'm doing for my taper.
2013-07-16 9:20 AM
in reply to: runninirish

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Illinois
Thinking about race set up. Was going to go with the aero bottle between the bars, a bottle on the down tube, and tube, CO2, in Profile Design Bento Box behind the stem. That eliminates my whole x-wing seat up behind the seat (and the drag back there) and cuts me down to two bottles. I can't see any need for more than 2. I've been training with IM Perform since 1862...I'm ready to drink it all day. I've mixed up every flavor of Gu there is...no problems. Even the funky ones. Bonk Breakers...no problem. I can carry 1 tube, 2 CO2 and a patch kit and a couple emergency Gu's in my box. I've read that the bottle on the down tube and the bento box are actually good aerodynamically. I'm not OVERLY concerned about aero...but I would like the best set up that is the most functional.

Anyone see any faults with this? Ideas?
2013-07-16 9:39 AM
in reply to: 0

Andover
I am planning on the same setup. My aero bottle up front and one bottle on the down tube. My other bottle rack will have my tire repair stuff in it. I am going to take the bag under my seat off. 2 Bottles of hydration should be more than enough. If you think about it one would probably be just fine. We only have to ride about 10 miles between aid stations for refills.

Does anyone plan on bringing an extra tire with them? I was thinking of strapping on my cross bar just as a back up.

Have a great race!

Edited by steve_mccarthy_69 2013-07-16 9:50 AM
2013-07-16 10:08 AM
in reply to: dsmallacomb

User image

Connecticut
I have seen the question asked on tracking athletes but did not see the answer - I recall a couple of years ago being able to track a friend of mine throughout the course - perhaps that was a 3rd party? If so, does anyone know if that is being offered this year and how to get it set up?

I thought there was somebasic tracking on Ironman.com as well?

Thanks for any help...
Chris
2013-07-16 11:49 AM
in reply to: runninirish

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
I've taken the liberty of grabbing this screen capture as proof of what was promised.

(LP Race Day.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
LP Race Day.jpg (122KB - 31 downloads)

2013-07-16 3:36 PM
in reply to: BernardDogs

Regular

Does the athlete have to pay for the dinner Friday night or is it just guests who pay?
2013-07-16 3:36 PM

Regular

Does the athlete have to pay for the dinner Friday night or is it just guests who pay?
2013-07-16 8:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Illinois
Originally posted by dsmallacomb

Athletes are free (well, we already paid for it). Guest pay.
2013-07-16 10:22 PM

New user
Originally posted by BernardDogs

I've taken the liberty of grabbing this screen capture as proof of what was promised.

bring it back, the new one is not nearly as good:

Sunday, July 28 77 Feels like 93 59 40% Isolated showers
2013-07-17 12:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
Does anyone know how much car traffic slows going INTO Lake Placid on race day? I've got a few friends driving over on race day and I want to give them a sense of what to expect.

They'll be coming up 73 from Keene.

Thanks!

Edited by BernardDogs 2013-07-17 12:06 PM

2013-07-17 1:05 PM
in reply to: littycm

User image

Last year I used Myathlete Tracker which was nice. they sent it to my hotel and i just picked it up and used it as my race belt for race day and then you send it back in the envelope it came in. The only issue, is that during the bike, it loses service on the course. so for 45 minutes my tracker was located in the same location during the bike which just happens to be about half way down the keene decent. My family was going insane. they thought i had crashed and died... so personally I will not be using it again this year
2013-07-18 9:27 PM
in reply to: TeamAndyBU

User image

Regular

I did something that I never do...I made an impulse purchase.  It goes without reason really because the effect on my day at Lake Placid will be between zero and perhaps 2 minutes.  Not much and nothing considering I'm not racing for the podium or Kona.

I bought a swim skin from rokasports.  It is in transit now.  They guys there have been very helpful with the order and even changed the shipping destination to my hotel in LP since UPS announced on their website that it is due to arrive here in Virginia on Wednesday -- the day I leave.

With the water temperature hovering at 76 degrees, maybe I'll end up wearing it.  Or, maybe I'll be in my wetsuit.  Either way, I'm getting crazy excited for the 28th to arrive.  However, the ups and downs and weirdness of a taper I could do without.  My legs feel tired and about every other day turn in a really good workout or a really forgettable one.  I know that is standard -- it is just how the recovery and rebuilding goes...but, I'm ready for it to end and the race to start.

How are all of you doing with only 10 days to go?

2013-07-19 7:25 AM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont

I did something that I never do...I made an impulse purchase.  It goes without reason really because the effect on my day at Lake Placid will be between zero and perhaps 2 minutes.  Not much and nothing considering I'm not racing for the podium or Kona.

I bought a swim skin from rokasports.  It is in transit now.  They guys there have been very helpful with the order and even changed the shipping destination to my hotel in LP since UPS announced on their website that it is due to arrive here in Virginia on Wednesday -- the day I leave.

With the water temperature hovering at 76 degrees, maybe I'll end up wearing it.  Or, maybe I'll be in my wetsuit.  Either way, I'm getting crazy excited for the 28th to arrive.  However, the ups and downs and weirdness of a taper I could do without.  My legs feel tired and about every other day turn in a really good workout or a really forgettable one.  I know that is standard -- it is just how the recovery and rebuilding goes...but, I'm ready for it to end and the race to start.

How are all of you doing with only 10 days to go?

For what it's worth, my personal prediction is that we'll be wet suit legal. The temp/dewpoints are going to break up here on Sunday, and we'll have some nice cool nights between now and race day to help cool the lake.

That being said, I don't think it's going to be a comfortable swim. Lake Champlain was in the 74-76 range last night and I decided to keep my wetsuit on to see how it felt (we've been in the 72 range until the past few days). I swam a mile and a half and was really feeling the temps toward the end.

That, for me, is the worst case scenario. a 75-76 wet suit legal race day. Everyone will keep their suits on, and I'll do the same to stay competitive. I'm going to be at least 15-20 places from a KQ, so I don't NEED to be competitive ... but I'll wear my suit if everyone else is.

If we can't get the lake into the lower 70s (and it's possible that we can given the cool nights in the forecast), I'd prefer it to be 76.2 and go without a suit.

I thought about ordering a skin as well ... and opted against it. Mostly due to the fact that I just don't want to add the cost to the race week budget. More beer money.
2013-07-19 12:19 PM

New user
they are now calling for rain on the 28th... could make Keene pretty sketch. Beats crazy heat/humidity though.
2013-07-20 6:56 AM

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Hey guys!!!

Holy. Crap. I just came off of the worst week and a half - I had TMJ - the worst pain I have ever had, all in my face, jaw, ear, and eye. Itwas like the side of my face was blowing off my head, it was awful. I couldn't sleep or eat. Or train of course. Talk about the worst forced taper ever! I went to multiple Drs & dentists who didn't really know what was going on. Finally I went to a chiropractor and after 3 sessions I am back in the world of the living and feel good about getting to the start line.

Speaking of which, anyone have plans about how they are lining up for the swim? Is it IM Louisville style 3am lines or is it just go into the time you think you will swim? I'm leaning toward the latter, but wasn't sure what others thought?

And here is a great rundown of the course, she does a great job of breaking down the bike course:
http://www.runningalife.com/ironman-lake-placid/

I hope you are all healthly and ready to go! I'll be landing in Placid on Thu.

Mandy

2013-07-20 6:57 AM

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Originally posted by kent2233

they are now calling for rain on the 28th... could make Keene pretty sketch. Beats crazy heat/humidity though.

Lets hope not on the rain! 8 days!!!!!
2013-07-20 7:01 AM
in reply to: littycm

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Originally posted by littycm

I have seen the question asked on tracking athletes but did not see the answer - I recall a couple of years ago being able to track a friend of mine throughout the course - perhaps that was a 3rd party? If so, does anyone know if that is being offered this year and how to get it set up?

I thought there was somebasic tracking on Ironman.com as well?

Thanks for any help...
Chris

Hey Chris,

Ironman.com -> athlete tracker is the best way from what I heard with IMLP. The downside is sometimes the system crashes. In 2011 my family was in a panic because it didnt show my last two bike splits, so they werre wondering if I finished the bike. So far the third party stuff looses reception in the mountains from what I have read, maybe someone else knows more.

Mandy
2013-07-20 7:05 AM

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Originally posted by BernardDogs

Does anyone know how much car traffic slows going INTO Lake Placid on race day? I've got a few friends driving over on race day and I want to give them a sense of what to expect.

They'll be coming up 73 from Keene.

Thanks!

If they are early - it will be busy but I don't think traffic jam slow. Lots of people park outside of town at one of the rest areas and bike in. Parking is a problem.

I think that road closes or becomes one lane at some point - anyone remember? If I am right they are gong to want to beat that is all.

Mandy
2013-07-20 11:08 PM
in reply to: manfarr1974

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Bib numbers are up!
I'm 2123! It just got real!
2013-07-21 6:09 AM
in reply to: southwestmba

Regular
Good morning, all!
Want to wish all of you the best of luck next week! While I am disappointed I couldn't be there, I really enjoyed the journey with you all.

Be healthy, race smart, and savor the finish... you have earned nothing less! ~JC

2013-07-21 11:33 AM
in reply to: jsenc2002

Regular
Question--Rain is rain but what happens if there is a thunderstorm? Not saying that is going to happen but, I am just curious--thanks.
2013-07-21 12:51 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by dsmallacomb

Question--Rain is rain but what happens if there is a thunderstorm? Not saying that is going to happen but, I am just curious--thanks.

The swim could be delayed or canceled. The rest of the race would go on depending on how bad the storms are.

2013-07-22 9:04 AM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Regular

I keep waiting for the showers to move off of the Sunday forecast... they have not, yet.

Positive Mental Attitude!

2013-07-22 9:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Illinois
Pulling out of IL in 20 mins...see everyone in LP!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 59