General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2013-07-05 12:17 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread

the Ironman Lake Placid Facebook page is posting daily water temperatures for Mirror Lake -- it was 76 yesterday.

No word on the whether the parking toll is something that can be paid with a smartphone that has a Garmin app.

2013-07-06 3:55 PM
in reply to: klassman

User image

Bel Air
I was on my 100 miler today and was involved in a crash. Luckily, I only ended up with some soft tissue injuries, but my bike is completely destroyed. Sore and scraped up and was told not to run until the bruising starts to go away on the bone. Not ideal. I'll be doing the rest of my training on a stationary bike (until I get a new bike, at least) and pool running until Placid. Just wanted to remind everyone to be careful out on the roads!
2013-07-06 4:52 PM
in reply to: adamjbosley

Regular
Originally posted by adamjbosley

I was on my 100 miler today and was involved in a crash. Luckily, I only ended up with some soft tissue injuries, but my bike is completely destroyed. Sore and scraped up and was told not to run until the bruising starts to go away on the bone. Not ideal. I'll be doing the rest of my training on a stationary bike (until I get a new bike, at least) and pool running until Placid. Just wanted to remind everyone to be careful out on the roads!

Glad that you can continue on to LP. Hope you heel quickly and are able to get back on your new bike soon!

Denise
2013-07-06 9:08 PM

User image

Baton Rouge

To late for me, I had a wreck today too and my bike is in the shop getting the bar end shifters replaced and the wheels trued, it will be ready in time for tribike transport. I was very close to the shoulder and my front tire went on to the paint line and there was a puddle. Road paint is very slick when wet and I went down doing about 20 it was like I was on ice. I have road rash all on my left side but that's it no broken bones etc. Fortunately there were no cars because I ended up almost in the other lane. Lets all be safe and get to the swim start.
2013-07-07 6:18 AM
in reply to: 0

Regular
Morning all! Glad to see you're getting race ready; there will be no "Cornick's" for me, as I cannot lift my left arm yet. Tis life... Thanks for your kind words, they have really helped!

Anyway, and perhaps this is therapeutic for me, I have my observations on the 25 weeks of training I did complete:
1. The full IM distance is different... it requires complete commitment, probably over a couple years to fully realize your ability. Not saying you can be satisfied in your situation, but for me, I could tell I wasn't doing all I wanted due to family, work, etc.. I am fine with the tradeoffs I had to make, but the overall challenge was reinforced when the training ended abruptly. Learning how to hold back is really important at this distance, probably my biggest personal revelation.
2. I should have got a coach, and next time I will. I think the plans are good, but my personal schedule is so fluid that I believe a coach would help me optimize things. Plus, when the training ended, I could literally see the world again. I did not realize how much mental bandwidth I had devoted to triathlon; it is not a bad thing as I learned a lot this year, but I also may have had a bit of tunnel vision.
3. Get the right equipment. For me, this will mean getting rid of my compact crank. For some these may be great, but for me it is a limiter. You can spend a ton on a bike, and feel free, but I am more talking about getting the right mix of components for your style of execution. Same for running shoes; I tried barefoot last year and it cost me a summer of shin splits! On the positive side, getting a power meter and using trainer road was the absolute best thing I did. My bike power and overall "engine" have benefited in a huge way.
4. Do not fall off a cliff in the off season. Keep the fitness up, albeit at a lower level; there is no need to start from scratch.
5. Probably most important, make sure your family is all in with you. This is too much of a commitment (the full, at least) for you to impose. My wife was great. When I got hurt, she said "what is the next one you can do?" immediately. I am probably not going to do another full for a couple years, but she was really supportive and great. I am thinking a half or two next year... (was an Oly a couple weeks ago!)

It is really cool to see your excitement, and I am sad I will not be there race day, but go get them! It has been really, really hot around Boston and I hope that LP doesn't get too warm for you! Good luck! JC

Edited by jsenc2002 2013-07-07 6:25 AM
2013-07-07 7:44 PM
in reply to: jsenc2002

User image

Veteran
The Cold North
Thanks for your thoughts and good wishes, JC. It's hard to pass along that kind of info and thoughts to people when it is taken away from you. Best of luck to you with your shoulder.

2013-07-08 7:30 AM

User image

Originally posted by BrotherTri

Originally posted by alicia123

Originally posted by BrotherTri

Originally posted by spie34

First of all...I just made a complete jerk out of myself by posting about my foot issue as a new thread in the Iron distance race groups and cant figure out how to delete....oopsie...If anyone can help with that I'd appreciate it.

The second thing is what I was really hoping for advice about. I have a hot spot on the ball of my foot that starts about 50 miles into the bike. I have tried new shoes, made just for me insoles...you name it. Its actually affecting my long bikes and my ability to run after a bike. Any suggestions?

Hi, have you looked into cleat placement? Shimming your cleats? I had similar issues and when I got fitted to my bike I was telling my fitter that I was having a few issues and he moved my cleats which helped resolve my problems. You didn't say you did anything with your cleats so thinking maybe that is something you can try.

I havent moved my cleats so I will try that! Thank you! Did you move them toward the arch or the toe?

Moving your cleats should be done by the bike fitter. If you're not sure you can missalign your joints and cause more problems.

Hi James! I actually have a bike fit appointment scheduled for tomorrow morning. Its a man who has a fantastic reputation but bit pricey. I've been putting it off not wanting to spend the cash but I realize its necessary. I also ordered new shoes- Giro. They advertise no hot spots and the ability to make a perfect fit through the placement of the adjustment straps. I figure I have 3-4 weeks to get used to it. It can't be any worse than my situation now! I will have the bike fitter take a look at the cleat placement and make any adjustments.

Alicia very glad to here this. I hope they get you fixed up.

btw

What peddles are you using?

Look Keo

2013-07-08 8:38 AM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont

Yikes! Glad you're relatively okay. Heal well ... don't sweat the training from here. The extra rest will serve you very well.
2013-07-09 11:47 AM
in reply to: BernardDogs

User image

Anyone concerned about keeping the kids occupied during the 2-4 hour intervals while your out-of-sight grinding up the cascades and slaying those pesky bears....

• .. Saint Agnes Elementary School on Saranac Ave is hosting a day camp on the Saturday and Sunday of Ironman weekend for kids 6-12. $30 a day, 8AM - 5PM, need to reserve by July 19th. Contact [email protected] or 518.523.3771

• They need ONE more reservation to meet the minimum number of participants required to make the camp work. The kids will get to play games and watch a movie in the afternoon...please book otherwise my 'little darlings' will be running around the village of Placid causing untold carnage for 15 hours or so....
    2013-07-09 2:36 PM
    in reply to: fatandround

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Northern Illinois
    Last big workout done today...did an hour bike and then 18 mile run. Felt great. The hay is in the barn and I'm going to taper the hell out of the next 19 days. Hope everyone that is hurt gets healthy! See everyone in a few weekends...almost game time!
    2013-07-10 4:46 PM
    in reply to: klassman

User image

I honestly don't believe that. last year was such a hot summer and it was still wetsuit legal... Maybe it is just my wishful thinking for a wetsuit legal day.

In other news I am back from driving a moving truck across the country and back for work. Did get some workouts in but just feel so far behind now. I guess I am in the worrying stage as my longest bike in the last 2 weeks has been 60 miles and my long run was 10 miles(granted they were both at about 7000 feet elevation). I am really worried that I wont make my goal of not dieing this year and beating my time from last year? any ideas of little things I can do now with only 3 weeks left to go?

2013-07-11 7:30 AM
    in reply to: TeamAndyBU

User image

Master
    Burlington, Vermont
    Originally posted by TeamAndyBU

I honestly don't believe that. last year was such a hot summer and it was still wetsuit legal... Maybe it is just my wishful thinking for a wetsuit legal day.

In other news I am back from driving a moving truck across the country and back for work. Did get some workouts in but just feel so far behind now. I guess I am in the worrying stage as my longest bike in the last 2 weeks has been 60 miles and my long run was 10 miles(granted they were both at about 7000 feet elevation). I am really worried that I wont make my goal of not dieing this year and beating my time from last year? any ideas of little things I can do now with only 3 weeks left to go?

I don't know what your longest bike or run is to date, but I'll just offer the suggestion that "cramming" doesn't work. So don't try to go really big this weekend. I paced a marathon group for my home town marathon this spring and got more than a few e-mails ahead of time from people who wanted my advice for prepping for the final 3-4 weeks when there training had not built like they had wanted to.

My advice, for what it's worth, was to treat the next 2 weeks as a gentle build rather than a taper. I'll emphasize the GENTLE part of that. You still want to come in with your legs feeling pretty rested, but if you can take your ride to 75 this weekend ... and maybe 90 next weekend, without feeling like you're stressing your body ... then maybe you can continue that build to the 112 on race day. As for the run ... I'd maybe shoot for a SLOW and EASY 16 this weekend, 12 next weekend ... and then race day.

Full Disclosure: This is how I advise new marathon runners to approach a race if they've not done a full training schedule that would require a taper. I don't know, frankly, if it's a good approach for IM and am more than happy to step aside for advice from those who might know better than me.
    2013-07-11 11:32 AM

User image

Bel Air
    Well I have a fracture patella and still can't run yet. I may end up having to walk the marathon. In good news, Felt hooked me up with an awesome deal and upgraded my frame to the DA frame (had the B12) for only $1200. Great value. It made my day that much better. Hopefully in the next couple days I can move from just walking to maybe a walk/jog. Either way, all of my mini-goals for my first IM have been shot out the window and now I'm just hoping to finish THanks for the support everyone.
    2013-07-11 11:34 AM

User image

Master
    Burlington, Vermont
    This is a cross-post from the Facebook group, so some of you may be seeing it for the second time:

If anyone is interested, I have created a GroupMe group for us to stay in contact over the days prior to the race. Great for scheduling swims, shake-out rides, runs, etc.

Once you add the App (iOS and Android apps both exist), the group name is IMLP 2013.

If you've not used the app before, your phone can really blow up during high use periods. It is possible to mute the group and then unmute when you want to share the collective enthusiasm that is certain to swell over the next 2.5 weeks!
    2013-07-11 12:19 PM

User image

Master
    ...at home in The ATL
    Originally posted by BernardDogs
    Originally posted by TeamAndyBUI honestly don't believe that. last year was such a hot summer and it was still wetsuit legal... Maybe it is just my wishful thinking for a wetsuit legal day. In other news I am back from driving a moving truck across the country and back for work. Did get some workouts in but just feel so far behind now. I guess I am in the worrying stage as my longest bike in the last 2 weeks has been 60 miles and my long run was 10 miles(granted they were both at about 7000 feet elevation). I am really worried that I wont make my goal of not dieing this year and beating my time from last year? any ideas of little things I can do now with only 3 weeks left to go?
    I don't know what your longest bike or run is to date, but I'll just offer the suggestion that "cramming" doesn't work. So don't try to go really big this weekend. I paced a marathon group for my home town marathon this spring and got more than a few e-mails ahead of time from people who wanted my advice for prepping for the final 3-4 weeks when there training had not built like they had wanted to.My advice, for what it's worth, was to treat the next 2 weeks as a gentle build rather than a taper. I'll emphasize the GENTLE part of that. You still want to come in with your legs feeling pretty rested, but if you can take your ride to 75 this weekend ... and maybe 90 next weekend, without feeling like you're stressing your body ... then maybe you can continue that build to the 112 on race day. As for the run ... I'd maybe shoot for a SLOW and EASY 16 this weekend, 12 next weekend ... and then race day.Full Disclosure: This is how I advise new marathon runners to approach a race if they've not done a full training schedule that would require a taper. I don't know, frankly, if it's a good approach for IM and am more than happy to step aside for advice from those who might know better than me.

You are going to be just fine - you have been solid for two years so this little bit of slack time will have probably done you more good than you know. I mostly agree with BernardDogs, particularly with the no cramming part. The only caveat i would add is that I wouldn't worry too much about the distance of your remaining workouts, but instead cap them by effort and time. Reason being is that by now you either have the distance in your legs or you don't - nothing is going to change that between now and then - instead you really want to find out what kind of efforts that you can maintain on race day at the level of fitness that you currently have. You can do that by getting in a race effort brick of 4.5~5 hour bike and 1.5 hour run (I would do the bike at a slightly higher effort than IM effort, actually, probably 5w~10w higher). I think I remember that you come from a running background, so you may actually be better served by a 1:10 swim/5 hour bike/15~30 minute run-off. With some running experience that one would tell you everything you need to know, and would leave you fresh enough for one more long run, but again, I would cap that at 2:00~2:15 tops. Whether that is 10 miles or 20, then so be it. I feel like I have a ton of fitness at the moment, yet still a run of over 2 hours at this time would have WAY too big of a recovery time and chance for injury that far out ways any physiological benefit I might get from it.

FWIW I have found that the traditional 3 week taper is way, way too long for me personally - 9~10 days is plenty. So if you are similar, you still have some time to get in a couple more of these key pacing-type workouts in. Again, you are going to be fine! We all are!!!

2013-07-11 1:13 PM

User image

Master
    ...at home in The ATL
    Originally posted by BernardDogsThis is a cross-post from the Facebook group, so some of you may be seeing it for the second time:If anyone is interested, I have created a GroupMe group for us to stay in contact over the days prior to the race. Great for scheduling swims, shake-out rides, runs, etc.Once you add the App (iOS and Android apps both exist), the group name is IMLP 2013.If you've not used the app before, your phone can really blow up during high use periods. It is possible to mute the group and then unmute when you want to share the collective enthusiasm that is certain to swell over the next 2.5 weeks!

Thanks, BernardDogs - do you have a shareable URL for the group that you can post here?

So, it probably is time to figure out the annual BT swim meetup/photo op. How does Saturday 27, 9am at the swim start sound to folks?

2013-07-11 2:26 PM
    in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Master
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Originally posted by TankBoy

Thanks, BernardDogs - do you have a shareable URL for the group that you can post here?

So, it probably is time to figure out the annual BT swim meetup/photo op. How does Saturday 27, 9am at the swim start sound to folks?

You like to sleep in or what? 9am shoot I'll have a couple of laps in mirror lake and a trip up Whiteface before that.....I guess I'll just have to change my plans.
    2013-07-11 4:17 PM

User image

Master
    ...at home in The ATL
    Well, duh, James - I am doing the same - that is why I suggested 9am. Besides, I knew you would want to have your swim done before the meet-up so you could better show off your massive pecs and lats in the BT pic. But you are right, what was I thinking? It will probably take you at least 30 minutes longer than me to get up and down whiteface; would you prefer 9:30am? /smacktalk
    2013-07-11 6:25 PM

User image

Master
    Burlington, Vermont
    Originally posted by TankBoyThanks, BernardDogs - do you have a shareable URL for the group that you can post here?

Here you go:

https://groupme.com/join_group/4956983/VPRwD4?source=Copy
    2013-07-12 7:23 AM

User image

Pro
    Hey guys, still have that half a condo and getting nervous. If you or anyone you know might be interested, please contact me.

And I hope everyone is excited and ready!
    2013-07-12 8:37 PM
    in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

Regular
    questions from a newbie--

During transitions we are in a tent so we can completely strip down and change clothes, right?

The bike bottles of Perform on the bike course fit into the bike cage, right?

Is there a way for family and friends in Lake Placid who are at the race to get info about where we are on the course? Some kind of tracker

When I am still out on run course at 10:00-11:00 pm--could a friend run along side me on the course or will that disqualify me.

Thanks,

Denise

2013-07-13 4:51 AM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Master
    Mechanicsburg, PA

During transitions we are in a tent so we can completely strip down and change clothes, right?

Yes you grab your T1 bag and go into a changing tent. Volunteers will help you if you wish.

The bike bottles of Perform on the bike course fit into the bike cage, right?

Yes they fit. Depending on your bottle cage it maybe loose. Metal cages can solve this by slightly bend the cage.

Is there a way for family and friends in Lake Placid who are at the race to get info about where we are on the course? Some kind of tracker

Other than the Ironman web site and those will be splits I don't think so. There are other venders that can provide you that service for a fee. You will wear another tracking chip. Someone may post that info.

When I am still out on run course at 10:00-11:00 pm--could a friend run along side me on the course or will that disqualify me.

It is not allowed. It is done thou, not sure anyone has every been DQ for it.

EDIT Found in the Athletes Guide

3. NO INDIVIDUAL SUPPORT VEHICLES OR
    NON-PARTICIPANT ESCORT RUNNERS ARE
    ALLOWED.This is an individual endurance event.
    Teamwork as a result of outside assistance,
    which provides an advantage over single
    competitors, is not allowed. Individual support
    vehicles or non-participant escort runners
    will result in disqualification. A non-participant
    escort runner includes athletes who have
    withdrawn from the race, have been disqualified
    or have finished the race. Supporters of any
    type may NOT bike, drive, or run alongside the
    athlete, may not pass food or other items to
    athlete and should stay completely clear of
    all athletes to avoid the disqualification of the
    athlete. It is incumbent upon each athlete to
    immediately reject any attempt to assist, follow,
    or escort. It IS permissible for an athlete who is
    still competing to run with other athletes who
    are still competing.

Good luck

Edited by BrotherTri 2013-07-13 4:59 AM
    2013-07-14 5:36 AM

Regular
    Thanks James for the answers to my questions.

Denise
    2013-07-14 6:30 PM
    in reply to: dsmallacomb

User image

New user
    Big time heat wave all week does not bode well for wetsuits. Maybe torrential downpours will cool the lake down.
    2013-07-15 2:22 PM
    in reply to: Tracker09

User image

Regular
    Almost time for the 10 weather forecast...almost...maybe since I cannot check the weather yet, I'll review my list of things to pack again.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 59