General Discussion Race Reports! » HITS Triathlon Series: Sterling - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

HITS Triathlon Series: Sterling - Half Iron Course - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sterling, Colorado
United States
HITS Triathlon Series
103F / 39C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 34m 18s
Overall Rank = 16/
Age Group = 44
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5am had a powerbar, got everything set up in transition, put on sun tan lotion, hit the bathroom, etc.
Event warmup:

Nothing much short jog, a little stretching, short warmup swim.
Swim
  • 44m
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was in better shape than my April HIM, sighted better, was on coures most of the way. Had to really focus on getting/keeping long in the water. The temperature was perfect, no wetsuit was really great on the shoulders. Pace was steady throughout the race, did not drop off at the end. This was right around where I wanted this swim to be pace wise.
What would you do differently?:

I need more swim fitness and coaching.
Transition 1
  • 04m
Comments:

T1 was an up hill run from the lake, first in sand and then up steps etc., was moderately long (2-300 yards). Transition in genral went well.

Things went well, nothing really.
Bike
  • 2h 50m
  • 56 miles
  • 19.76 mile/hr
Comments:

I was really happy with the bike, conditions were good enough except for that patch of dirt/gravel at the beginning and end.

I just need more bike fitness. I raced as fast as I could have for today.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

This was a really good transition time for me given the length of the transition. Heck 60 seconds, I'll take it.

Was pretty picture perfect for me.
Run
  • 1h 50m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

The heat and sandy footing just dragged at my time. The first mile was less than impressive, so I just settled in, it was going to be what it was going to be. I passed one guy in the first mile, he started walking up the sand hill. I tried to focus on the next person in front of me and then passing them. My pace was not great all miles 8:00 mpm or slower, so I just focused on staying wet, getting in some fluids and passing the person in front of me. Sometimes it took longer than others. I moved up past folks steadily until around mile 11 when there was no one visibly in front of me anymore. I made darn sure nobody caught me from behind and just tried to push it as hard as I could. Breathing was fast, sides were slightly cramped from water intake the entire run, but nothing that would affect pace. I just had to be careful at each water break to not drink more than 4 oz. The last 4 miles in the sand was tough, I had no one left to chase down, the last big hill was tough, but just sucked it up and got it done. Run was slowish but 10th overall on the run so I guess it was tough for everyone.

Not sure. I would have liked to have hit this harder, but I do not run on sand much. I am not sure I want to run on sand much, hard on my calves.
Post race
Warm down:

I drank 24 oz of water, then 32 oz of cold lemonaide, nibbled on some food, couldn't really eat anything. Then I went down to the lake and just soaked for a while. Getting those fluids in and dropping the body temped helped me to feel human again.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

There was some wind, temps got up to 103F ish, 8 miles of the run was in sand. Just need to train more, get faster, stronger. Execution of the race was pretty spot on for my fitness level and conditions.

Event comments:

This race had more water stops on the run and more portapoties than the April race with HITS. They had access to better food at the end. Course markings were clear, drinking water was cold all day, very nice. Vollunteers were willing to douse you with cold water at water stops if you indicated interest. Cold lemonaide in the shade after the race was very good. This was a 10 min PR for me, happy with everything, running in sand is just hard and hot temps drain you over the course of the race.

Last updated: 2012-08-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:00 | 2112 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 62/
Performance: Average
Suit: Just tri suit
Course: Single loop, somewhat shallow for a ways at the beginning and end. Water was low visibility.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:50:00 | 56 miles | 19.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 26/
Performance: Good
Pretty constent 19.8 mph before the patch of gravel/dirt you have to cross at the end. I took a bathroom break at half way on the bike. From the start I wanted the bike to be better than last race. I focused on keeping the cadence good and the effort hardish. I just looked for someone in front of me and tried to edge up on them and pass them. I topped off my water every 10 miles as the day was going to get hot. I pretty consistently passed folks here and there, with 19.8 mph average at ever 10 mile split. I lost a little time on the hills then made it up on the downhill and flat. I was very happy with the bike, nearly a 1 mph PR.
Wind: Some
Course: The course was rolling hills, nothing longer than 2-3 miles, but you had to drop into 1st gear. The road was a little bumpy for part, but the actual condition of the pavement was fine.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:50:00 | 13.1 miles | 08m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 10/
Performance: Below average
Course: You had to watch it out of t2 becuase you had to go down some steps on shaky legs right off, then it was up a hill in sand and the first 4 miles were sady, (2-3 inch foot impressions). By this time it was hot and that taken with the sandy footing made for a slow start on the run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-08-05 2:52 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: HITS Triathlon Series: Sterling - Half Iron Course

2012-08-05 7:01 PM
in reply to: #4347847

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: HITS Triathlon Series: Sterling - Half Iron Course
Not sure. I would have liked to have hit this harder, but I do not run on sand much. I am not sure I want to run on sand much, hard on my calves. - This made me laugh pretty hard. Good to know what you are willing to do. Great race Steve!
2012-08-05 8:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Congrats! Sounds like a great race. I'm keeping an eye on options for next year.
2012-08-06 2:03 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Great race, Steve!  Sounds like you went at it as hard as you could, and definitely earned that #1 AG spot.  Nice improvements for you as well, brought about by smart, consistent training.  Yes, definitely a very good day!

2012-08-07 9:49 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Great race, Steve, and congrats on the #1 in AG!

Running in sand in the heat sounds like torture. Way to fight through it and land in the top 10 run splits.

Good luck w/IM later this year!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » HITS Triathlon Series: Sterling - Half Iron Course Rss Feed