Sportspectrum
97F / 36C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 34m 42s
Overall Rank = 811/824
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 44/44
Pre-race routine:

I woke at the hotel for about 4:45am. Dressed and applied body marking tattoos- which I loved, then ate my oatmeal and yogurt. Woke family, made coffee and headed to race venue at 05:30am.
Event warmup:

Had to park a pretty far distance from transition so jogged with the bike. It was really too crowded and chaotic to try and get a ride in. Set up everything in transition, then headed to water for swim warm up.
Swim
  • 34m 4s
  • 880 yards
  • 03m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was by far my most difficult swim although I was 4 seconds per 100m faster than my first tri so it was slight improvement- lol. I actually felt tons better though- no panic issues but my heart rate did keep getting too high which slowed me down considerably. I just don't have the cardiovascular endurance built for that distance. Definitely need more swim training.
I have pretty moderate/severe heart damage and now see why the cardiologist wasn't too thrilled with me doing a longer distance swim. My muscles never fatigued but my heart sure did. I did sight well and stayed near the outer edge where the kayakers were just in case. I did fine though was just forced to go extremely slow to keep my heart rate in check.
They also needed more kayaks on the water. One man was in real trouble, swam over me and tried to cling to me and almost pulled us both under and the nearest kayak was over 50-100m away at least. It was pretty scary for us both. We did get their attention and he got to one but it was scary for a little bit.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more. I knew my swim training was not where I'd have liked it to be but I could easily do twice the distance in the pool nonstop so I really thought I was better prepared. I've never taken the swim lightly but I did underestimate this one. Lesson learned.
Transition 1
  • 04m 25s
Comments:

I was actually pretty quick once I got to transition but I took my time walking up the beach to get there. My dd wanted to high five and hug me and that was more important than time because I knew I'd be one of the last finishers anyway.

Nothing really. I can get my gear on relatively fast and go- I've had 1:30 second T1 before but I prefer to savor the moment with my family and usually have to let my heart rate come down before I get on the bike anyway. Heart disease really screws up your times- hehe.
Bike
  • 1h 10m 59s
  • 18.2 miles
  • 15.38 mile/hr
Comments:

This was by far my toughest course and distance and my speed was faster than both my previous tri's. This one was 18.2 miles with about 12-14ish of it being hills so I am actually very pleased with my times. I have been riding a good bit more and working harder in spin class and I could tell. Not that it made me fast compared to everyone else but for me it was improvement so I'm excited about that. I can't wait to see what I can do on another flat course.

I really need to train better for hills. My speed is slowly but surely improving but I just don't have any hills to train on. On the flats I was able to average 17-18 mph and on the downhills I was up near 27-28 (which was awesome- I pedaled every downhill also so I was proud of myself for not being afraid to keep pushing it instead of just coasting). It was the uphills that killed me and my time- imagine that- lol.
Transition 2
  • 03m 2s
Comments:

This was the first time I actually had those wobbly, won't work right legs. I was actually excited about that feeling because I knew I worked the bike to the best of my ability. We had to run downhill into transition with our bikes though and I had to go completely into one side, down it and back up the other to get to my bike rack. They didn't want the mount line before and dismount line after the hill. This just made each transition slightly longer cause you were going up a hill and down a hill pushing the bike.

Once again nothing really. I really am pretty fast at getting my gear on and going. My time is lost getting to and from transition usually. It's often because of the distance to get to and from it and having to let my heart rate come down because I have heart damage. I can't really change that.
Run
  • 42m 10s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 13m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

I loved/hated my 910xt. I forced myself to stick to my training alerts for run/walk so I kept a steady pace the entire time. I hated it though when it would vibrate for me to run- hehe. At one point I wanted to pitch it because I had to run up the incline and walk down it- stupid watch- hehe. I was a little slower (by 30 seconds) than my previous two tri's but I was even happy with that as this course had inclines, it was 96 degrees and I am battling PF so each step of the last mile and a half was torture. I did actually manage to pass two other turtles and kept my lead that I worked dang hard on the bike to get over three other people. That was huge for me.

Nothing really here either. I have increased my running slowly and steadily since January and it's getting better in my stand alone times but in a tri I'll probably always be slow. Right now though, I'm just working on building a base and keeping my heart rate down. I was slow as heck but I was still thrilled with my entire race.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around for a few minutes then went and got post race meal and drinks and sat and enjoyed the food and music with my family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My biggest issue is my heart damage from cancer treatments so I really can't change that. Eventually I will have valve transplant surgery and it'll be interesting to see if I get better or worse after that.
For this course though, lack of OWS opportunities and hills to train on for the bike hurt my times as well.

Event comments:

I want to clarify the too hard above. I only chose this because just right wasn't exactly right either. The course was extremely difficult and challenging for me. But that's strictly because of my heart and training issues. I loved it though. With the shorter distances on flat courses, I have sometimes felt like the races were too easy- not that they weren't challenging either- for me any course will be a challenge because of my heart. So while none are easy this one was very difficult. But I truly feel like I accomplished something major today and it's because the course was soooo dang hard for me. I really had to dig deep to get it done but that makes the finish even sweeter.

Last updated: 2012-07-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:04 | 880 yards | 03m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 43/44
Overall: 0/824
Performance: Below average
Suit: Tri suit and shorts
Course: The course was measured almost exactly at a half mile according to my Garmin. It was an excellent course and venue. They did not have enough kayakers though. They were too far apart and two people had to be pulled from the water.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:25
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:10:59 | 18.2 miles | 15.38 mile/hr
Age Group: 43/44
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: This was an extremely challenging course for me. It was rolling hills and I live in a pancake flat area. I haven't ever ridden hills so I was slightly nervous going into it. I had been increasing my resistance in spin class considerably and I think it helped. The course was well marked, was one big loop and had several people sitting out in their yards cheering us on. It was my favorite course so far.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:02
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:42:10 | 03.11 miles | 13m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 44/44
Performance: Average
Course: The course was excellent. It was through a campground and was fairly shaded. There was a few small inclines so added a little difficulty but not even enough to truly call it a hill. Just made it more challenging than my usual runs.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-08-05 10:43 PM

User image

Expert
Hammond
Subject: River Cities Triathlon

2012-08-05 11:24 PM
in reply to: #4348316

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: RE: River Cities Triathlon
Nice job! River Cities is a great race and a great course. Tough to beat the feeling when you have a good race on a challenging course! 
2012-08-06 1:54 PM

User image

DFW, Tejas
Well Done!  You are my hero for competing in this with risky health issues.  Hope all goes well for you!
2012-08-06 6:57 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas

congrats

2012-08-12 1:43 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area