World Triathlon Corporation
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 37/2500
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/134
Pre-race routine:

Eat a big pasta dinner early Saturday afternoon. Snack lightly and go to bed early. Organic Oatmeal, and bananna for breakfast. half a powerbar 45 minutes before racetime. Sip on water.
Event warmup:

200m warmup swim
Swim
  • 08m 47s
  • 437 meters
  • 02m 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

Had some trouble with this swim. People constantly go in waves they shouldn't be in at this race. So when I go I have to navigate around, through and sometimes over slower swimmers who shouldn't be there. On the last buoy someone came from way right and pinched me into another swimmer on the inside of me. Both guys ended up underneath me and then the stopped swimming and blocked me. The guy who came from wided right started swinging his arms around and both had some choice words for me. I coughed out the water he swished down my throat and kept on my merry way. Totally uncalled for by both of those bozo's. The water is merkey and if your not swimming straight it's hard to see. I didn't mean to swim up on them but it happened. I'm not sure what they expected as they were the ones who went in a wave that was obviously too fast for them. When you do that, you need to expect faster swimmers from behind are going to come up on you and may not see you! There was a lot of other contact in this swim too. Too many swimmers going where they don't belong. I've done much longer swims at a faster pace. I don't know how I could have done any better here though without sheer luck with a clear path to swim.
What would you do differently?:

Just swim over and drown the weaker swimmers that lie about their swim times to go in earlier waves!
Transition 1
  • 02m 32s
Comments:

fumbled around a little in transition this time. I usually do ok with them but my transitions today felt like they could have been faster.

train this more
Bike
  • 34m 22s
  • 13.7 miles
  • 23.92 mile/hr
Comments:

I always leave this course feeling I could have put more into the bike. This race is pretty crowded and there are lots of newbies who just don't know how to stay to the right. I also ran into several people that were averaging around 20mph that felt that they should stay on the left and block the people going faster than 20. Regardless, the best part of my day was when the guy I passed around a corner told me to slow down!! LOL
Transition 2
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

I felt a little clumsy here too. I don't train transitions, maybe it's time to start
Run
  • 20m 9s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt I mentally gave up before I was physically done on the run. I was pretty frustrated from the crowds and ignorant athlete's on the swim/bike. If it wasn't for the girl that passed me on the first mile I would have been mentally done. But being it was the only time I was passed all day, it gave me a little motivation. So I hunkered down and finished up. The path in the last mile is pretty confusing to me. I wish they marked the last 1/2 and 1/4 miles so I'd know when to turn on the burners for the last surge. It always seems the chute just shows up with 50 yards to go and I turn on the last surge too late

Give it a little more going into the chute and start my final surge earlier
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

crowds, ignorants, and my own mental frustration. I still can't complain too much. I had a pretty good race. I never like to leave a race feeling like it could have been better though. It was still fun to hang out with all my friends that did the race and my wife. Being local, it's cool to have family come out and see you too. I'm in my upper 30's and still enjoy it when my mom and dad come out to watch a race! LOL :)

Event comments:

It's a fun local venue, but the race has gotten big and crowded for the space on the course. It's still fun to do a race so close to home though and be able to have family come out.

Last updated: 2012-02-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:47 | 437 meters | 02m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/134
Overall: 0/2500
Performance: Bad
Suit: De Soto Liftfoil
Course: Serpentine course
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:32
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:34:22 | 13.7 miles | 23.92 mile/hr
Performance: Good
I had a decent bike but flet like I could have put a little more into it. Crowds were not bad on lap 1, but I did get slowed down some on lap 2. One guy put me to almost a dead stop around a turn he went wide on, even though I was screaming my head off that I was on his left. He told me to slow down! which was probably the funniest thing I heard all day! LOL This was a race....right? :)
Wind: Some
Course: 2 Lap, pretty flat course but lots of turns. Road is getting a little rough on 75th street, reminds me of Racine!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:04
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:20:09 | 03.1 miles | 06m 30s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Mostly flat but winding course through the riverwalk trails and partially on the streets
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-08-06 9:46 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Subject: Naperville Sprint Triathlon

2012-08-06 3:07 PM
in reply to: #4348770

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Subject: RE: Naperville Sprint Triathlon
Hilarious about the guy that told you to slow down.  I was on a relay and did the swim.  I was standing at the bike out watching all the noobs... you wouldn't believe how many people had helmets on backwards, ipods, etc.  It's definitely a good race for entry-level folks, so you have to take the good with the bad.  Great run, too- 20:09 is smoking fast!
2012-08-06 3:20 PM
in reply to: #4349684

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il

mcgilmartin - 2012-08-06 3:07 PM Hilarious about the guy that told you to slow down.  I was on a relay and did the swim.  I was standing at the bike out watching all the noobs... you wouldn't believe how many people had helmets on backwards, ipods, etc.  It's definitely a good race for entry-level folks, so you have to take the good with the bad.  Great run, too- 20:09 is smoking fast!

thx!  I think this race is just good for fun with the family and friends.  It's hard to get competitive about it the way it's run.  Too much crap going on.  It's just too big for the venue.

2012-08-06 4:35 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
nice race - awesome time on the run!
2012-08-06 6:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Hell Brian I'm one of those slow guys -- remind me not to get out in front of you!  Seriously, this year was bad with the contact in the water.  Last two years, folks were there but seemed polite.  This year no fun!  Congrats again.
2012-08-06 7:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
Awesome race Brian!I look forward to the late season races they seam to weed out the less serious racers........

Edited by acv 2012-08-06 7:04 PM

2012-08-08 4:10 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Great race Brian!  The comment about slowing down is hilarious!

Your bike split is impressive in a 2 lap course with that many people on it, wow!

Congrats and enjoy some down time to let things heal up!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Naperville Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed