Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Question for parents about promoting independence Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-08-08 6:06 PM
in reply to: #4352984

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Question for parents about promoting independence

BrianRunsPhilly - 2012-08-08 12:25 PM

Well I know my son (and his mom) were reluctant to tell me he wanted to be a chef. At the time I was pretty high up in research management at a Pharma, and I guess they felt I would find it a 'lesser profession' and be against it.

I thought it was great that he found something he liked so early. The kid got into a magnet high school for culinary arts, now he's in college. It is a rough life but it's his passion, and he's a great kid. I know my parents were upset when I opted for a Ph.D. rather than an MD (I got into both programs), but I really love what I'm doing too and can't imagine doing anything else.

That being said, I cannot fathom parents who let their kids get into major debt to obtain a degree in a profession where it's nearly impossible to pay that off. Nearly always it's about status - going to an elite school just for the name.

I don't think it matters the profession. Starting off your life with crushing debt is, well, crushing. We (mrs gearboy and I) finished our education with debt north of $300k by the time we started to work as physicians. At those kind of levels of debt, you are either have to win a giant lottery or plan to remain yoked to a well paying job for essentially the rest of your working life. Assuming, of course, that you want things like a house, kids, a car or two. As a result of our experiences, we have worked very hard to cover our kids' educations as well, so that they can work for themselves, instead of to pay for their college or grad school well into their 50's.

2012-08-08 7:56 PM
in reply to: #4353873

User image

Pro
gearboy - 2012-08-08 7:06 PM

BrianRunsPhilly - 2012-08-08 12:25 PM

Well I know my son (and his mom) were reluctant to tell me he wanted to be a chef. At the time I was pretty high up in research management at a Pharma, and I guess they felt I would find it a 'lesser profession' and be against it.

I thought it was great that he found something he liked so early. The kid got into a magnet high school for culinary arts, now he's in college. It is a rough life but it's his passion, and he's a great kid. I know my parents were upset when I opted for a Ph.D. rather than an MD (I got into both programs), but I really love what I'm doing too and can't imagine doing anything else.

That being said, I cannot fathom parents who let their kids get into major debt to obtain a degree in a profession where it's nearly impossible to pay that off. Nearly always it's about status - going to an elite school just for the name.

I don't think it matters the profession. Starting off your life with crushing debt is, well, crushing. We (mrs gearboy and I) finished our education with debt north of $300k by the time we started to work as physicians. At those kind of levels of debt, you are either have to win a giant lottery or plan to remain yoked to a well paying job for essentially the rest of your working life. Assuming, of course, that you want things like a house, kids, a car or two. As a result of our experiences, we have worked very hard to cover our kids' educations as well, so that they can work for themselves, instead of to pay for their college or grad school well into their 50's.

Understood and I agree to a large extent. But my point was that when we were looking at schools we saw two that he really liked. One was where I am affiliated and it was still $52k/year, the other was $28k/year. The latter is an even a better deal as they go through most of the summer and he can graduate in 3 years, so one less year of tuition. And honestly, for Culinary Arts it's who you apprentice with much more than the school. He's going to make dinky until he can become at least a sous chef.

In a sense it's no different than my postdoc or your resident's salary, but it's a LOT harder to break 100k as a chef. The major difference is grad school was not only free, I got paid a whopping $5400/year as a stipend when I started

2012-08-08 9:15 PM
in reply to: #4354033

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania

BrianRunsPhilly - 2012-08-08 8:56 PM 

Understood and I agree to a large extent. But my point was that when we were looking at schools we saw two that he really liked. One was where I am affiliated and it was still $52k/year, the other was $28k/year. The latter is an even a better deal as they go through most of the summer and he can graduate in 3 years, so one less year of tuition. And honestly, for Culinary Arts it's who you apprentice with much more than the school. He's going to make dinky until he can become at least a sous chef.

In a sense it's no different than my postdoc or your resident's salary, but it's a LOT harder to break 100k as a chef. The major difference is grad school was not only free, I got paid a whopping $5400/year as a stipend when I started

We are totally saying the same thing. I think there a lot of jobs that people get with a bachelors, or even masters, that will never break $100k/year. 

My younger daughter looked closely at her college choices with an eye to how much it would cost (even though we would be picking up the tab. She's a good daughter). She picked the school that offered her the best deal (Go Terps!) since she figured the educational return on investment would be the same on a school that would cost $20k as one that would be twice that.

2012-08-10 12:23 AM
in reply to: #4350041

User image

Veteran
Boise, ID
Thru their teen years, and now in their early twenties, we have always given them viable options, in our opinion of course, and let them choose for themselves. Then they usually go and make a totally different choice (a not so good one in our opinion). Now that they are getting older they have frequently said "I should have followed your advice". Making mistakes is a bummer for all of us, but the best way to learn, generally. So when they do make a mistake they have no one to blame but themselves....hence the learning from experience.
2012-08-10 6:48 AM
in reply to: #4350041

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
jezzieswims - 2012-08-06 7:03 PM

Your child is enrolled as a freshman at a college or university. The child calls and complains that they are having trouble with a roommate, can't get the classes they want or are struggling with a bureaucracy of a university (account holds, delayed financial aid payments, etcetera). 

Do you attempt handle the situation for your child? Encourage your child to handle it on their own? Do you coach your child through the situation?

At what age or maturity level did you (or do you intend to [for parents of younger children]) start having your children handle more "adult problems"? What steps did you take to promote independence when dealing with challenging situations?

i don't have kids.  but once i got to college, i never thought to call my mom to fix my problems for me.  i might have vented about a nasty roomie or a mean professor or complained about how college really was harder than HS, but what the heck was my mom supposed to do about this stuff from 300 miles away?  i had an advisor to help with the class issues, could walk into the registrar's office to take care of the billing issues, and had an RA to help when the roommate issues were as bad as they sounded. 

when i was in high school, my mom made me sit through financial aid seminars, file my own taxes, and arrange all of my own testing (SATs, and I decided on my own to do ACT because of my #2 choice school).  so it's not like I got to college and magically started helping myself out.

if i ever have kids, i hope to do the same for them.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Question for parents about promoting independence Rss Feed  

of 2