United States
100F / 38C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 45m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Did not feel well, nor sleep the night before. Thought seriously about bagging the ride. Figured I could always bail part way through and still net some training.
During the drive to the winery (start area) I ate oatmeal and bagel with water and coffee.
Event warmup:

Put on sunscreen. Met up with Verve500 and Devotchkatata (Richard & Lilia) and started the ride with them.
Bike
  • 6h 45m
  • 109 miles
  • 16.15 mile/hr
Comments:

This is an excellent bargain century! Twice as hot and twice the headwind of Triple Bypass with half the climbing. It must be easier than the Triple, but I wasn't really sure of it during the ride!
With only 50ish riders on the century, the sparsely-marked route was sometimes challenging. We were 3 miles past a turn before I engaged my brain and realized it! Doh!
We also proved true the old Colorado maxim: "For every uphill, there is a downhill but for every headwind, there is a headwind." yeah, been there, done that, got the T-shirt! ;)
What would you do differently?:

Train and hydrate :)
Post race
Warm down:

Spaghetti dinner with a glass of Cabernet Franc. Deluxe!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Train and hydrate :)

Event comments:

As expensive as most events seem to be, this was a really good value. If the date works, I'm in again next year!
There are just enough aid stations, and the route markers are VERY EASY to miss, but it beats the heck out of riding this distance alone.

Last updated: 2005-11-11 12:00 AM
Biking
06:45:00 | 109 miles | 16.15 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Four segments: Canon City up Red Canyon and back to Florence. Florence to Wetmore - 11 miles with 1500' of gain Wetmore through Pueblo - allegedly downhill, but into strong headwind Pueble to Canon City - 30 miles on the shoulder of Hwy 50. Total elevation gain 4,630'
Wind: Headwind
Course: The three of us rode together for the first segment, except when Richard and I were yakkin and flyin downhill. Sorry to leave you behind Lilia! We almost hung together on segment two. I waited up for Lilia and Richard held the pace. Lilia and I met back up at the Wetmore rest stop. She stayed right with me as we headed down the rolling hills toward Pueblo. We held 18-20 up the hills and low 30's down. With the truck-sized hole I punch in the wind, little Lilia could hang right with me. By about mile 50 I was really feeling the lack of sleep and I ran out of gas. I gimped into the rest at 70 and pigged out on pbjs and gatorade. I let Lilia go ahead. I didn't realize how dehydrated I was until after the race, but it took a over an hour(until mm 90) to recuperate. That last stretch of 25 miles along the freeway, into the setting sun was so NOT fun. Now I was really bumming that I forgot the headphones to my iPod! Double Doh! at least I started to feel human as I approached the finish. And, there were Richard and Lilia, still hanging out! It was a hard day for me, but it ended up being really good. I'm lucky to have met up with Verve and Devotchkatata, they made the day alot more fun!
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-06-11 8:08 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
Subject: Red Canyon Century

2006-06-11 9:54 PM
in reply to: #450569

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Red Canyon Century

Great ride, especially feeling bad, on little sleep, fighting the heat, and totally dehydrated.  I'm impressed.

2006-06-12 6:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO

Nice ride!  And so gentlemanly of you to punch a hole for lilia - Might do this next year if I can get my hubby to be my wind break!

2006-06-12 9:06 AM

User image

Buttercup

Great job, Brett! Glad to see you are back at it.

You have such a great attitude. Nice to see/read.

2006-06-12 4:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lufkin (East Texas)

Sorry I missed you three.  It sounds like it was pretty tough though.  I know the winds in CSprings were pretty bad.

I'll be sure to bring a navigator along if I ride with you next year.   You turned in a good ride though.  Nice work.

2006-06-12 10:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle
Great job again!
Funny, how our reports are so different, I said I wouldn't do it next year, and you are hoping to come back.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Red Canyon Century Rss Feed