General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I ready for a 70.3? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-08 9:03 AM

New user
Subject: Am I ready for a 70.3?

Hello all, this is my first post in the real forum so if this isn't the right place let me know right away. I just recently decided to get into triathlons this past spring. Since that time I have been keeping my running schedule as a marathoner...about 30/40 miles a week(10-15 on Sat) and riding long 40 - 60* miles on sundays. During the week I mix in 2 or 3 days of swimming which I am absolutely terrible at and alternate that with shorter bike rides of 10-15 miles, I always run that evening every day regardless and take fridays off typicially but not always. Sometimes I combo my bike/run into a short brick, I do this every other week. My first triathlon was a few weeks ago, just a sprint but I felt I did ok.

6:35 on 300M swim (got stuck behind slow people in a pool)

49:16 on 16 mile bike

22:39 on 3.23M run

Transitions were slowest in my AG, something I will need to work on for sure. 

I went ahead and signed up for the Prairieman 70.3 here in Texas which is on September 8th. They don't allow wetsuits so I am a bit nervous about the swim. So far the longest I have been in the pool was for ~1700 meters, but I have NEVER swam in open water(going to do so this week just to see what its like). I have a long brick scheduled on 8/12 after my long ride, its the only one I will be doing before the event. 

Now that I have rambled all of that out of my brain as fast as possible, do you guys feel I am ready for first 70.3, or am I pushing it too fast?

2012-08-08 9:13 AM
in reply to: #4352729

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Am I ready for a 70.3?
On handheld so I'm not sure of your logs but it seems like you are almost ready....you need to get into the ow asap and practice....doing a 1.2 mile swim in a race environment with traffic is a lot more difficult than the pool.....you also need to get your swim volume up and be able to at least swim a little more than 2100 yds in a pool non-stop......your run and bike training seems ok to finish. Good luck
2012-08-08 9:14 AM
in reply to: #4352750

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC

FELTGood - 2012-08-08 10:13 AM On handheld so I'm not sure of your logs but it seems like you are almost ready....you need to get into the ow asap and practice....doing a 1.2 mile swim in a race environment with traffic is a lot more difficult than the pool.....you also need to get your swim volume up and be able to at least swim a little more than 2100 yds in a pool non-stop......your run and bike training seems ok to finish. Good luck

x2

2012-08-08 9:50 AM

The swim, absent a wetsuit which provides flotation, would be my biggest question for you. The first tri, and only tri I've ever done, was the 2012 Mooseman this past June. The open water fiasco was an incredible learning experience but one that is tough to simulate in terms of swimming in a mosh pit. Although not a swimmer, I have been in water my whole life, so I am very comfortable, but even I got unnerved at the start of it all. The bike you can just pick your pace and get into a groove, and the same on the run. But the swim is a bit different and not having the floatation of the wetsuit would signal to me that you need to be really comfortable in the water AND in that kind of situation (people swimming over you, et cetera).

BUT!!!!, none of that means you are not "ready". It depends on what "ready" means to you and what your expecations are. If you are going to use this as a learning experience, much like I did with the Mooseman, than there is no possibility of failure. That is a great place to be. If you are trying to win a cash prize and a ticket to Kona, you may set the table for disappointment.

Remove "failure" from your lexicon and quickly you realize that "risk" disappears. Fate issues the tuition bill whether you like it or not, so you always need to at least learn from your experiences. Go into the event with your expectations in order, learn as much as possible, AND HAVE FUN!!

2012-08-08 10:06 AM

New user
Thanks everyone, my goal for this race is to finish. That's what I'm wanting trying to get some reassurance on. I feel confident in my bike and run ability, but the swim is a littler terrifying. I'm going to just relax and try to stay out of the way as much as possible. I want to get this under my belt before the season ends, really hate that I cannot wear a wet suit.
2012-08-08 10:18 AM

I agree. Relax and pay attention to your breathing/heart rate on the swim. Remember, goggles under the swim cap in case they get kicked off. Take your time with the transitions so you don't work yourself into a tizzy, and take in calories on the bike (stuff you are used to, you know the rules I'm sure...). I don't know the course, or your fitness level, but I chose to take it easier on the bike so that I wouldn't have to take it easy on the run. You may choose to do the same but one piece of advice I received, which was helpful, was that if you are going to take it easy on anything, do it on the bike where you are still going 10 mph... don't do it on the run where you come back to 3 mph.

It will be a great experience, I'm jealous!!!

2012-08-08 11:30 AM
in reply to: #4352863

New user
danastasi - 2012-08-08 10:18 AM

I agree. Relax and pay attention to your breathing/heart rate on the swim. Remember, goggles under the swim cap in case they get kicked off. Take your time with the transitions so you don't work yourself into a tizzy, and take in calories on the bike (stuff you are used to, you know the rules I'm sure...). I don't know the course, or your fitness level, but I chose to take it easier on the bike so that I wouldn't have to take it easy on the run. You may choose to do the same but one piece of advice I received, which was helpful, was that if you are going to take it easy on anything, do it on the bike where you are still going 10 mph... don't do it on the run where you come back to 3 mph.

It will be a great experience, I'm jealous!!!

Thanks so much! I am looking forward to the race for sure. It's going to be hot as hell and it might feel like I'm on the edge of death, but how the heck else will I know I'm alive? 

2012-08-08 11:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

I have my first 70.3 a week from Sunday. Unlike you, I'm not a runner so the thought of 13.1 mile run disgusts me.  Since you can already do that, I'd get in the OWS asap.  Ideally with wetsuit.  I'm a strong swimmer and I've moved from the pool to Lake Michigan prepping for 70.3.  The full wetsuit, currents and waves are something you don't get in a pool.  

The bike can be as hard/easy as you want it to be.  My last sprint I had 24 mile average on bike.  For 70.3 my target is 20.  I'm hoping that will allow me to survive the run.  

2012-08-08 11:52 AM

User image

Wisconsin

Glad to hear you're excited, your first this distance is always exciting.  I agree with everyone and think that the swim should be your focus if possible until the race.  Any chance you have to get into the OW you should take!  Not sure if the start is a wave start or mass start but really consider your own placement at the start to avoid the traffic as much as possible.  Finding your own rhythm and just relaxing will be key given it sounds like you are nervous without the wetsuit.  Panic can set in pretty quickly with the crowd so doing what you can to start your race day calmly will help.  Picking up a little more distance around a buoy vs fighting the crowd will likely help keep you steady too.  Just be smart and you'll be fine with the swim and you sound like you have a solid bike/run.   Have you had success at a fuel plan during your training? 

Amy

2012-08-08 12:13 PM

User image

Check out some of the free HIM plans on the internet.  See if you think you can handle that type of training, or build up to that type of training.
2012-08-08 12:36 PM
in reply to: #4353050

New user
gordon_mom - 2012-08-08 11:52 AM

Have you had success at a fuel plan during your training? 

I could use some pointers in this department too. During longer runs, anything over 11 miles for me, I take shot blocks(cant stand gus), so I have been doing the same on the bike every 15/30 mins or so. I dont know how bad the deficit is going to be moving straight into a long run from a long bike ride, so I will be using my long brick to test out some more options. Shot blocks are great, but all that sugar doesn't sound too wonderful at the end of a long run. When running marathons I absolutely cannot stand to drink gatorade towards the end of the race, it just makes my stomach turn thinking about it. I thought about actual cliff bars while on the bike just to fill up the tank. Anything you would suggest?

2012-08-08 2:19 PM

I made a major error in not fueling enough on the bike. The course at Mooseman is pretty hilly, so there is some output there, and I just had no gas in the tank for the run, and no ability to digest anything. In the future, I will alter my pre race calories (like two hours pre race) and then really get down some calories on the bike. I can't do GU's or any of that stuff either, but I needed way more calories than GU's can provide (unless I ate 12 of them). I needed real whole food. Nutrition is as personal as it gets, so don't do anything you have not already practiced with, but I would not skimp on the calories during hour #2 (which will be on the big unless something has gone horribly wrong during your swim) because you will feel it during hour #5.
2012-08-08 2:46 PM

Given what you said, you need to focus on your swim.  The max distance you covered in a pool so far is 1700, that is not nearly enough.  Since you have a strong run base, I'd run just enough to maintain and spend more time in the pool. 

You don't have a lot of time, but if you get in the pool 5 times a week this month, you should build some decent fitness.  Each session should be at least the distance you plan on swimming, preferrably more, shoot for 2,500 per session, 3k being better.  Go get some fins, do the first half of the session without and the second half with, it will help you get through the yardage.

When you're not swimming, spend time on the bike.  Running well on a half can be just as much about your bike fitness as it is your run fitness.

2012-08-08 2:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX

Here's what to expect.   Your heart will race.  You will experience oxygen deficiency.  You will be worried about the green dark water, and what lurks there.  You will not want to be alone.  You will forget to sight.  You may end up swimming on your back.  That will be 200 meters into your first practice swim.  

If you do 10 or 12  of these before your race, then here's what will happen.  You will begin calmly. The water will be welcome.  You will stroke regularly, and occasionally sight.  You will remain within the aerobic range.  You might even draft a little.  You will exit the water, and the real race will start.  Even if you exit 99th out of 100,  there are plenty of swimmers who can't ride or run, which will be encouraging you as you pass them.  At the end of the race, the swim will seem so distant.

So with just a few weeks left, you need to get into ow twice a week, minimum.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I ready for a 70.3? Rss Feed