80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 17m 13s
Overall Rank = 404/434
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 38/42
Pre-race routine:

NOTE: All split times are a guess.

This was my first race in 2 years, so basically I was crazy on Friday night, and running around like an insane person trying to remember 10 billion critical things.

I am pleased to report that all needed equipment made it to the race site with me (a statement that has not always been true.) Woke up at 5:30 to finish getting ready, woke up my son (who had fallen asleep in front of the TV at who knows what ungodly hour), Jeff came over and got my bike in the car and we packed up a whole bunch of other stuff as we were planning on getting together with some other BT people at the race.

Pre-race nutrition consisted of a Banana, ClifBar and water.

Got started late at 6:25, and made it to the race site at 7:40. Since the race starts at 8:00, this also entailed a whole lot of rushing around. First the search for parking, then I ran off to get registered while Jeff put my bike together for me (so nice having a gearhead BF.) He brought me the bike, I got bodymarked, saw Madkat, introduced Jeff to Madkat. My son was still sleeping off his late night, so we left him in the car. She was supporting people, so he'd have someone to hang out with during the race. Madkat also found me a space on the "BT" rack. It was a good spot, right by the swim exit and the run entrance. Sprayed sunscreen, setup my transition area, realized I didn't have any water in the water bottles, got water from the nice volunteers. I was still finishing up all of this stuff, when suddenly the announcers announced that the first men were out of the water and on the bike.
Event warmup:

Grabbed goggles, swim cap and frantically jogged over to the swim start, so I wouldn't miss my wave. My HR was nicely elevated from this warmup.

Got there, saw a wave go off. I had a blue cap, but couldn't see a wave with blue and the next wave was white. Asked the announcer guy about blue, and he told me they were for the men. Since I am quite obviously not a guy, he then asked my age and told me that was the next wave. Stuffed all hair in the cap, put on the goggles, and got wet fast.
Swim
  • 20m
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim started out a little rough, I kept swallowing water and couldn't get comfortable in my stroke. I didn't swim this whole week and I could tell. After about the 1st 100 yards I started to find a rhythm and I also found a good pair of feet to follow. I lost the feet at the first buoy and was mostly on my own after that, I couldn't really find anybody to latch onto. The swim felt strong once I got into my pace.
What would you do differently?:

Get in the pool at least ONCE the week of the tri!
Transition 1
  • 03m 40s
Comments:

Ran up the grass waved to Jeff and Madkat, got to transition, took the cap and googles off, washed off my feet briefly with a bottle of water. Got the socks on, bike shoes, gloves, sunglasses, helmet.

Looked at my watch - bad, bad, bad news, my watch was full of water. I broke my da** watch! Ugghhh!!!! Took off the watch, useless, and ran/walked my bike to the bike mount.

Not take my stupid watch into the stupid water. I have no splits from this race, and I am SOOO not happy, cause I have no idea how I did in each event!
Bike
  • 1h 05m
  • 16 miles
  • 14.77 mile/hr
Comments:

Got out of the park. There are 4 speedbumps (spaced out over the 1st mile) that people were bunching up on. Slowing, stopping, etc. I passed one group on the right, because they were going over the center line to avoid the speed bump (stupid) I picked a good line and this part was good. I passed a couple of people here that I never saw again (at least on the bike.)

The course is hardly ever just flat, it's mostly rollers, so either going uphill or downhill. I tried to find a good pace to settle into and push hard but not kill myself. I felt really strong on the bike. Now, there were quite a few people who passed me, but I actually passed a few people too and there were quite a few people behind me as I could see when I was coming back.

I kept playing leapfrog with this one mtn bike though, SO frustrating. We passed each other 2 or 3 times each. I'd pass her and then a while later I'd be spinning up a hill and she'd pass me back. I'd think "She's gone", and then I'd end up passing her again on a flat or downhill. She finally passed me on the final climb into the park and I never saw her again. I passed one bike on the climb (not a bad climb) back into the park, that felt good. I drank one full bottle of E-Fuel which was just right.

I think I may have gone faster than my estimate of this leg but no way to know.

Not get my stupid watch wet so I would KNOW how fast/slow I went overall!
Transition 2
  • 03m 33s
Comments:

Got off the bike at the dismount line and ran/walked back to the rack. Good thing I had a psychedelic towel, cause I needed it to help me spot my rack. Racked the bike, had a hard time, cause my seat was higher than the rack, so I kinda had to lean my bike sideways.

Took off bike gear, put on shoes, ate a gel, took a couple of swallows of water, grabbed my hat and ran (i.e. jogged 10 steps and then walked) out of transition.

I think next time I'll go sockless on the bike and put the socks on for the run only. My socks were totally wet, which made getting on my shoes a little difficult. I probably should have just taken them off but I didn't want to take the time. (I'm estimating both transitions at about 3:30, but I really don't know.)
Run
  • 45m
  • 3 miles
  • 15m  min/mile
Comments:

Out and back on a rolling fire road with some pretty steep uphill/downhill sections. My legs did NOT want to get moving at first. You are supposed to jog across the grass to the start of the fire road and I just couldn't do it, I felt off balance. Jogged a little bit, then walked through this deep gravel area, and then tried to jog some more.

Breathing and HR felt fine, legs felt dead. My right quad felt like it had an incipient cramp. I was feeling very sorry for myself and whiny until the guy with a prosthetic leg ran past me going the other way. Then, I just thought, suck it up and stop complaining. Do your best with what you got.

So, I ended up jogging as fast as I could maintain on any level or downhill section. I walked up all of the uphills as I knew they would kill me off faster than anything else. The turnaround (and aid station) came faster than I thought it would, had two cups of water and a cup of Cytomax as I walked through the aid station, hit the turnaround and started back (which was twice as long as the way out.)

A lot of people passed me on the run, I didn't pass anyone. But, anytime a 35-39 AGer passed me, I thought, I held you off till the run! There were quite a few people in my AG who passed me on the run, so I felt really good about that and like I must have done well on the bike.

I saw a little old woman (I guessed her about 60) as I was heading back. She was doing what I was doing, walking up the hills, and I said good job to her. Almost at the end, I hear someone coming up behind me, and it's her. She says that they make the hills steeper every year, and I agree with her (it is a fact though) as she passes me. I check her age as she passes, she's 73. Man - I've just been beaten by a 73 year old. Then I think, I want to be her when I'M 73. I tried to go a little faster after that, cause if she could do it so could I.

Well, I'm just really slow on the run due to the fact that I need to lose pounds and pounds (how fast would you run carrying a couple sacks of flour around?) I really wouldn't do anything differently, I might've been able to push a little more, but I think I really gave it my best shot. I'm basing my time here on Jeff's and Madkat's comments that I was faster than they expected on the run, and that I held off the other two people of our group. (They had expected them to catch me - but I maintained my lead.)
Post race
Warm down:

Found everybody, got my son from the car - I feel bad that he missed the whole race - and he was awake and had looked for Jeff but couldn't find him, but I was a little scattered at the beginning of the morning so, oh well. He was ok, as he had the chips and dip to himself in the car.

Got the picnic stuff organized, hung out with Ellismichael, Madkat, Joebowler, and other people (not sure if any others on BT) and generally had a great time!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight. However, I feel really good about my time. I really did better than I was expecting to based on my training times.

I was either fast on the bike or the run or both. I kinda split it up, but man I wish I knew the exact data.

Event comments:

Fun, smaller race in a nice venue (can get really hot though) and very well organized. I've done events with TBF before and they are always very good.

Last updated: 2006-05-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:00 | 880 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/42
Overall: 0/434
Performance: Good
Suit: Race Gear
Course: Rectangular, turning right around the buoys. The first right turn put the sun directly into your eyes, so sighting was a little spotty on this side.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:40
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:05:00 | 16 miles | 14.77 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back. 4 speedbumps at the beginning/end, which really suck. Rolling up and down course.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:33
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:45:00 | 03 miles | 15m  min/mile
Course: Out and back on a rolling dirt fire road. Lots of rocks and dust. Orange dust.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-12 12:48 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: TRI for FUN Sprint Triathlon #1

2006-06-12 2:51 PM
in reply to: #450743

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: TRI for FUN Sprint Triathlon #1
Great race Shellee!!  The 73 yr old, the woman on the mth bike, and your son asleep in the car the whole time!!  It had to feel great to do a tri after 2 years!!
2006-06-12 3:51 PM

User image

Master
Central, IL
You are a champ in my book!  Great you got there and tri'd!  I see nothing but positives in your effort and attitude.  You are an inspration!  Keep it up.
2006-06-12 6:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Joplin, MO

Great job on the race! Nice race report.

You're an inspiration to me as well. You keep doing what you're doing and you'll be able to accomplish ANYTHING in life.

2006-06-12 8:54 PM

User image

Master
La Crosse

You RAWK! While you seem to be focussing on the fact that this was your first tri in two years, and you were thus unprepared -- I think you should be focussing on the fact that this IS YOUR FIRST TRI IN TWO YEARS, and you finished it! You got back on the horse! You are a triathlete -- runners run, swimmers swim, bikers bike, and triathletes TRI!

Good thing I had a psychedelic towel, cause I needed it to help me spot my rack.

Yeah, psychedelic towel . . . cool.

I've got a Steelers yellow/gold/mustard towel. It's totally the most visible towel in the world.
2006-06-12 8:58 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Congrats on your great race!

First race in 2 years...get some kinks out...but faster than you thought in the bike/run...cool stuff!

Sounds like a bit of chaos like at my house race morning...you got there, did awesome and had fun! 

BTers make tri'ing so much more fun...getting you a good rack spot, helping keep organized and cheering you on...plus great fun after the race is done!

So when you doing your next one?

2006-06-12 9:29 PM

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation
Girlie, you've got it going ON!  GREAT RACE!  I'm so happy for you!  Can I have your swim time, please?   It's all up hill from here!  You are so not only a tri-athlete, but a uber-athlete ... keeping everthing else around you up and functioning as you train and race.  You are just awesome.  More that I will ever be!  Laughing
2006-06-14 7:29 PM

User image

Expert
Nice job, Shellee. Yeah, you were cooking! However you slice it, 2:17 is a nice time. It feels so much better on the run when people pass you and you can say to yourself, "Yeah, I passed you on the bike, sucker!" (Although you might leave the "sucker" part off....)

It was nice to hang out with you again and meet your beau and your son, and swap race stories. Is your son going to sign up for one now?

Anyway, great job overcoming those demons to get out there and race again after 2 years. I'd say you not only had a good race, but it looked like you had fun as well!

Mike
2006-06-14 10:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great job! Everybody's already pointed out your accomplishments, so I'll just say "Yep!"

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TRI for FUN Sprint Triathlon #1 Rss Feed